Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

I wouldn't call this barbacoa, because it isn't, but it's loosely related.  Call it "southwestern braised beef".

I braised a boneless chuck roast in chicken stock with tomatoes, yellow onions, garlic, ancho chiles, guajillo chilies and chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (300 F for 4 hours in the oven):

Gringocoa.jpg

Shredded it, blended the braising liquid into a sauce, and served on you-cook-'em flour tortillas with pico de gallo, along with homemade charro beans and "Spanish" rice (rice cooked in chicken stock and a can of Hatch tomatoes & chiles).  They were fantastic:

Gringocoa_Tacos.jpg

• Like 9

Don’t see a Independence Day Bitches! thread yet, and I’ve only done the salsa so far so it can heat up overnight but my part of the Festivities for a small group of 9 is salsa, jap poppers, and chicken legs, so doesn’t really warrant a thread, but this salsa kicks all sorts of ass, especially with home grown maters.
7af96ba029a5af39b3057eb3927a6ac5.jpg
Starting on peeling the tomatoes
4d8ccb08d723c2fff3c01c8da558ada4.jpg
Other players, but the key is the balance
3c26677e15ca8b008edc19b932178c10.jpg
Pre-blend
df82d81702d183cac06684e8a945d090.jpg
Deliciousness and will heat up overnight

• Like 3

What were the proportions on that salsa?

Not an exact recipe. 4 or 5 peeled tomatoes, 1/2 an onion, 3/4 or a full bunch of cilantro, juice of 1 to 2 limes, 3 japs, 1 Serrano sometimes, a can of hot rotel, and liberal garlic salt

7 hours ago, ERhine said:

You add a can of Rotel to your fresh salsa? The fuck?

You are a great cook, but for me, taste is the most important thing.  The actual recipe calls for a can of peeled tomatoes, I just happened to have some in my garden that I subbed in.  I've never tried it without the rotel, all I know is it is damn good and not bought from the store.  Open to ideas for what to use in place of rotel, but I know that my circle of family and friends consistently ask me to make it for them when they have people over, so that is good enough for me, and I'm not going to fuck with it.  I'm not claiming this is some kind of all natural, competition winning salsa, but I love it.  The batch I made last night made 5-6 cups that have now been totally consumed by 11 people (including 3 children that didn't have any, and my son who loves spicy food), so yeah, fuck yeah, I used a can of rotel.

• Like 2

One of my favorite go-to bean recipes is a can of pinto beans, can of black beans, can of great northern beans and a can of hot rotel, and whatever spices I feel like. Yeah it ain't the same as soaking the beans overnight and hand cutting everything else but it still works really fucking well

I made an Italian dish called Pici Aglione last nice. Pici is a thick pasta made with semolina.  Some pics.  You begin with a lot of tomatoes and garlic  
CC7_AE9_B7_A12_B_4_C55_A464_6_A5_C114317_B2.jpg
Then start cooking it down. 
E81_C87_DD_B5_F0_451_E_AF89_6229_FB77_DE91.jpg
and down. It takes about four hours to get the sauce. 
E0_E8_F204_B725_4964_86_A6_21_C52_C402_CF4.jpg
Always finish pasta in the sauce.  It makes the sauce bind to the pasta. 
20_C524_B8_7_E3_C_4554_A08_D_2_FA699_BA5_C82.jpg
Buon appetito!
C489745_A_13_A0_4_B72_89_EC_45_B462_D0094_C.jpg

What else was in the sauce?

Inspired by the NOLA food thread I tried my hand at chargrilled oysters for the first time.

Picked up two dozen oysters at my local HEB, fortunate to find them open, even more fortunate to get their last bag.

Proud to say that I taught my 13 year old daughter how to shuck an oyster, success on her first trial.

They tasted great, though I've come to the realization that my old Weber grill is ready to be replaced. Can't keep consistent heat (due to multiple rust spots and/or holes).

Menu consisted of chargrilled oysters, shrimp cocktail and a Greek salad with French bread. Paired with a nice Sauvignon Blanc (and a few beers in prep). All in all a success as nothing but empty dishes.

312919c3f391baed11312aa9bb3211a9.jpga7a718801b8021ff83d31158033809f0.jpg0018d64d308d5f48b3ecc74bf0119dad.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/18/2018 at 3:53 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

How long and at what temp did you smoke the chicken?

Sorry for the late reply, but around 250 for 2 1/2 hours or so.  Don't remember specifically, just cook to temp

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

I grill my veggies and meat on separate skewers since they cook at different rates. 

Then why skewer it at all?  Just cook some chicken and cook some veggies.

Thats not how this works.  That’s not how any of this works.

When my daughter was around 6, I was teaching her how to grill. I told her to put the onions, bell pepper, chicken, and pineapple on skewers while I went outside to light the grill. Ther were already marinaded together.  Came inside to find one skewer of pineapple, one skewer of chicken, ect. Fuck it, that's how we ate them It was just fine.