Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Shit I cooked for the family - shells stuffed with grilled chicken fajita; sautéed onion, bell pepper, jalapeños; cream cheese; Mexican cheese mix; Bolner’s southwest fajita seasoning.  Topped with roasted hatch green chili sauce (roasted Hatch chilis, chicken stock, onion, garlic, dash cumin) and more cheese.  Baked.  Decadent.09EFD331-403D-4303-912F-BC932E9B63BB.thumb.jpeg.6355cb65f72d348d8afd246e3b371ced.jpeg
34AAD881-DB1F-4DE7-8DA6-9F97BB567A2D.thumb.jpeg.d18f9b4e07c1bcbd3115e1e993b1b743.jpeg

So looks great but I dont have the patience to stuff. I make similar as a pasta sauce and serve mixed with bow tie pasta. With some bacon to go with the chicken.

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Awesome.  How are you frying those?  What's your setup? 

Electric skillet set up using my gas grill as a table, filled with oil and fry away.  Would have used my Turkey fryer but was low on propane, too lazy to go get a refill.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ve got. It’s kids home now, so the giant-ass bag of crawfish we peeled and froze a couple months ago gets put to use. And the wife prefers shrimp etouffe, so made a batch of that as well:

f62f0b8818d703a976b63c4b01327609.jpg
b2062f257cd25295df0d845d7124fc11.jpg

And holy shit, I made way too much. We have leftovers for days.

image.gif.600e620516a1899d5853e664ba90c846.gif

I’ve got. It’s kids home now, so the giant-ass bag of crawfish we peeled and froze a couple months ago gets put to use. And the wife prefers shrimp etouffe, so made a batch of that as well:

f62f0b8818d703a976b63c4b01327609.jpg
b2062f257cd25295df0d845d7124fc11.jpg

And holy shit, I made way too much. We have leftovers for days.

Looks good. Did you clean your shrimps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, RMac5 said:

@Brisketexan care to share that recipe? That more blonde roux recipe looks great. 

I'll dig up the recipe.  It's my mom's etouffee recipe, and it's actually very easy.

The roux is a simple butter-flour roux for each.  For a single batch, it's a stick of butter and 4-5 tablespoons of flour.  You just stir that over heat for a few minutes to bind and thicken a bit, then do the rest.

And the reason for the color difference is not the rouxs, but the seafood used.  The crawfish had lots of that golden crawfish butter on them, which colors the overall dish.  The shrimp are cleaner, so no real color added to their batch. 

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Looks good. Did you clean your shrimps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.  Peeled them (and made stock with the shells, which I used -- always make stock, people), cut them in half, and that was that.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'll dig up the recipe.  It's my mom's etouffee recipe, and it's actually very easy.

The roux is a simple butter-flour roux for each.  For a single batch, it's a stick of butter and 4-5 tablespoons of flour.  You just stir that over heat for a few minutes to bind and thicken a bit, then do the rest.

And the reason for the color difference is not the rouxs, but the seafood used.  The crawfish had lots of that golden crawfish butter on them, which colors the overall dish.  The shrimp are cleaner, so no real color added to their batch. 

Nope.  Peeled them (and made stock with the shells, which I used -- always make stock, people), cut them in half, and that was that.

Thanks amigo! No tomatoes or tomato sauce either, I know lots of folks add them. Is that a creole vs Cajun recipe? 

Thanks amigo! No tomatoes or tomato sauce either, I know lots of folks add them. Is that a creole vs Cajun recipe? 

Seems to be the distinction. Here you go, transcribed from my mom’s recipe:

Recipe: etouffee
1 stick butter, maybe a touch more
4+ tablespoons flour (really, just eyeball the butter/flour ratio till it looks like it’s making a decent roux, it may need 6 or so) Brisket note: I use around 5
1 medium onion, diced (white is best, yellow is fine)
1 large green bell pepper, diced
3-4 cloves chopped garlic
4-5 stalks of celery, diced
1 lb of crawfish or shrimp
Bay leaf

Melt butter, stir in flour to make a light roux. Add veggies, cook over medium heat till veggies are wilted and flour/roux has cooked some. Add 1-2 cups stock/water (if you made shrimp shell stock, use that - otherwise, water is fine, crawfish usually have a lot of crawfish butter on them), stirring constantly as you do so. Cook it down over medium heat until it is almost to desired consistency/thickness (stirring regularly), then add crawfish or shrimp. Cook for 5 mins or so (at least until shrimp are done, if using shrimp).

Season with a bit of Tony’s, or salt and pepper, to taste (it will need some seasoning). Splash of Crystal into the pot is also good if your crowd can handle it.

Serve over rice, top with chopped green onions and some more Crystal.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Not the prettiest but I don’t care. I love empanadas man

0B90078C-D6E4-4C55-BA03-B65205DC75AD.thumb.jpeg.bd52adf933281d7268c8112a2fc8c1ee.jpeg

Pretty enough. Homestyle cooking doesn’t need to look artistic. I usually come up short when I try or am too eager to eat to even bother with a fancy presentation.

I like the dishware.

10 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Figured the cheerios were for the dog.

9 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I think his name is Kevin, and I am not sure if he’s still with us. 

Kevin would have loved the Cheerio phase.

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I like the dishware.

I have all these talavera dishes and the wife still prefers her west elm bowls and plates. Not for empanada night.

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Does the shrimp shit add to the flavor profile?

3 hours ago, kilroydos said:

Don't be fatuous.  You know it does.

This.

Seriously, for probably 3/4 of my life, "clean the shrimp!" wasn't a thing.  You got whole shrimp, with the heads on and all.  You did stuff like boil them whole, after which you pulled the head off, peeled, and ate it.  If I can, I'll buy cleaned shrimp for certain recipes, because the wife likes that extra touch.  But men shouldn't give a damn about such things.

Get shrimp.  Cook shrimp.  Eat shrimp.  Enjoy, without being a candyass.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Last Christmas we were preparing to visit the in-laws in Dallas and I was looking around for things to do to get out of the house.  One of my old Dallas haunts was a place over by White Rock Lake on Garland Road called Barbec’s.  Overall, their food was pretty meh but their most popular item was their beer biscuits, which people came in and picked up by the dozen.  Unfortunately, I learned that they closed for good during the pandemic.  I doubly mourned the loss of their delicious biscuits and a good excuse to get out of in-laws house for a short while.

As luck would have it, I found the recipe for Barbec’s Beer Biscuits:

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/remembering-barbecs/

They are more akin to bread/cornbread than traditional southern biscuits but they are addictive and go well with butter or a batch of homemade sausage gravy.

7BDA649F-E09D-4C2F-99E0-1C16D14DE47A.thumb.jpeg.644b086d87080e06150a4a8323a05dde.jpeg

BE4F8D3F-5E6A-4420-BBC4-F88485021B91.thumb.jpeg.ba13d9265d39753c686ade1ee87a6c2c.jpeg

Long live Barbec’s Beer Biscuits.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2