Copa America 2019

ATLLonghorn

9 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Some relevant numbers ahead of the Colombia-Argentina game:

Colombia

1 goal in last 8 matches vs Argentina

Scoreless in last 5 matches vs Argentina

495 minute goalless streak vs Argentina

I went to a World Cup Qualifier in 2013 (I think... maybe 2012) between Colombia & Argentina in Buenos Aires.

Messi was at the top of his game, Higuaín was at the top of his game, Agüero was at the top of his game, Falcao was at the top of his game...

ZERO-fucking-ZERO

7 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Argy back line seems terribly slow.

Other than Tagliafico, I can't think of a single Argie I'd want playing Defense... though I've been out of the country for a while and am not bombarded with noticias de la selección. 

If they don't advance, I hope that Messi fucking hangs it up so that the team can finally move on.

I recorded the game, but haven't watched it yet. I'll probably watch some of it tomorrow.

PS- I'm not going to have a fucking Fernet & Coke to drown my sorrows. I'm out of practice and I don't feel like vomiting before bed.

16 minutes ago, APMP said:

It has always astounded me how Argentina has wasted the once in a lifetime talent of Messi. (And I've been an Argentina fan since the early 90s)

1) Messi is an amazing player and has made it to 3 Finals with Argentina, plus he has won a FIFA U-20 WC & an Olympic Gold

2) Messi is predominately a system player. He would be awesome anywhere, but he is a GOD in the Ajax->Barcelona system.

3) At times Messi has insisted on playing a true #10, and it hasn't necessarily been up to the coach.

4) In 2006, Argentina's keeper was injured and so Argentina only could sub 2 field players against Germany and then the Germans scouted PK tendencies and Argentina didn't and they were out.

5) In 2010, Diego Maradona was the national team "manager". And he made the dumb decision to include a jealous Tevez in the WC squad after he had been banished for over a year. Tevez wouldn't play 1-2s with Messi, even though he had the skill for days, and then Germany happened and Argentina were fucked with Diego as the DT.

6) Messi skipped (nearly?) all of the friendlies over the past year and now the manager has had to try to tweak the style that he had implemented even though it is the polar opposite of what Messi enjoys at Barcelona.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/copa-america/0/blog/post/3876621/lionel-messi-is-throwing-argentina-off-balance

Argentina would have been better against Colombia if Messi hadn't come back to the team. They might squeak through to the knockout stages, but Messi is both a football genius and the anchor holding Argentina back. The article linked above explains it pretty well, but Messi needs the Barça system to perform on that Barça level and Argentina doesn't currently have those players to reproduce that system.

5 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Qatar ties it at 2. Argentina is going to be in last place in the group. Welp.

Perhaps this means that Argentina will go through as the 2nd placed team rather than maybe or maybe not going through as the 3rd place team. 

Vamos a ver.

A tie helps Argentina.

Just now, Napoleon said:

Perhaps this means that Argentina will go through as the 2nd placed team rather than maybe or maybe not going through as the 3rd place team. 

Vamos a ver.

A tie helps Argentina.

Yes, but Colombia is really good so losing to them isn't terrible (despite the recent history) but if Argentina can't beat Paraguay and Qatar they are in deep shit.

53 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

welp, that's a first

a yellow converted to a straight red by VAR

Hopefully with more to follow, there will be less bullshit that the players think they can get away with.

NOTE: I didn't see the play, nor the VAR.

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Hopefully with more to follow, there will be less bullshit that the players think they can get away with.

NOTE: I didn't see the play, nor the VAR.

I thought it should've stayed a yellow, but I guess if you hit a player above the neck it's a red card. He definitely caught him with the arm, but it wasn't intentional and he didn't swing his arm. 

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I thought it should've stayed a yellow, but I guess if you hit a player above the neck it's a red card. He definitely caught him with the arm, but it wasn't intentional and he didn't swing his arm. 

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Here's the foul that got Quintero the red card

https://streamja.com/Lz0B

When you clinch your fist before giving someone a forearm to the face...

It's intentional.

Lodeiro saw blood, and Quintero saw red.

Meanwhile, in the Women's World Cup, an Argentine girl got half of her tooth knocked out on some Japanese girl's elbow and there wasn't even a yellow. (Actually, I don't even think that a foul was called.)

There were other hits to the face in the women's World Cup today that didn't result in a red, and may not even have resulted in a yellow.

I now understand while Uruguay always seemed to have an extra man.

36 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

If I am understanding it correctly, they called offsides.  There was a Brazilian player out of bounds, like at least 5 feet next to the goal.  I don't see how that is possible.  Regardless, Brazil missed several chances.  Just were not clicking.  I am hoping that is their one down game.

CONMEBOL teams know each other so well that the Copa is frequently frustrating.