Copa America 2019

ATLLonghorn

Argentina are just so, so, so bad. Nothing they do makes sense tactically and they are so thin on talent. Every time someone touches the ball in the final third, they are surrounded by three defenders with no outlet. It’s like they’ve never played together before.

43 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

This anecdote about Jose Gimenez's Uruguay debut and how he drove Falcao crazy is pretty great.

D9hAN4SWsAU2y4u.png:large

The rookie was like a seasoned pro.

That wouldn't have happened if they didn't both speak the same language. (Brazil has an advantage.)

Japan took an early lead over Uruguay (25'), but Cavani was taken down in the box and Suarez converted (32'), so it is knotted up at 1.
No other Copa America matches tonight, but two boring Gold Cup matches to ignore.

Damn it, Uruguay tied it? My kids are watching cartoons, but I turned it on my phone just in time to see Japan score.

I’ve only got to watch about 3/4s of this game, but it has been the most entertaining of the tournament. I love how scrappy Japan is. Samurai spirit doesn’t give up and doesn’t care who they are playing. I am sure they have a ton of support, largest Japanese population outside of Japan is in Brazil. Plus playing Uruguay is always going to draw support.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’ve only got to watch about 3/4s of this game, but it has been the most entertaining of the tournament. I love how scrappy Japan is. Samurai spirit doesn’t give up and doesn’t care who they are playing. I am sure they have a ton of support, largest Japanese population outside of Japan is in Brazil. Plus playing Uruguay is always going to draw support.

I'm wondering if Koji Miyoshi will be on the move after such a strong showing tonight. 

I looked him up and he plays in Japan, but he's 22 and could be a draw for a European club. (I didn't watch the match, so I don't know how he got his goals, but a brace is a brace. One can be luck, but two usually requires skill.)

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

100% Sepultura today in preparation for the game. Vamos Brasil emoji1054.png

Brazil's match is just an appetizer for today's main event.

USA vs Trinidad AND... Tobago

The USMNT has to play TWO countries at the same time. (You're not guaranteed a win when you have to do that.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

france/brazil (wimmens) is intriguiging, but the real comedy value of the day has to be the dog v. qatar who are somehow competent in this hemisphere, and even with a win argentina could go out if paraguay beat colombia.

If Argentina wins they're through no matter what. The top two third place teams go through and they'd have better goal differential than Peru so they'd be in the QF vs Brazil if Peru gets in or Chile/Uruguay if Japan gets in.

If Argentina wins they're through no matter what. The top two third place teams go through and they'd have better goal differential than Peru so they'd be in the QF vs Brazil if Peru gets in or Chile/Uruguay if Japan gets in.

You have your groups mixed up.

Argentina goes through in second place with a win over Qatar. However, if Argentina lose or tie to Qatar, they are out. If Paraguay beats Colombia, Argentina is out.

It is not possible for Argentina to lead their group, so if they do get through, they will play Brazil.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You have your groups mixed up.

Argentina goes through in second place with a win over Qatar. However, if Argentina lose or tie to Qatar, they are out. If Paraguay beats Colombia, Argentina is out.

It is not possible for Argentina to lead their group, so if they do get through, they will play Brazil.

If Paraguay beats Colombia and Argentina beats Qatar, Colombia finishes first (6pts), Paraguay finishes 2nd (5pts) and Argentina finishes 3rd (4pts).

The 2nd place team in group plays the 2nd place team in group plays the 2nd place team in group A which is Venezuela. The 3rd place team in Group B only plays Brazil if the third place team in Group A gets in because there can't be rematches of group games in the QF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Copa_América

27 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Qatar has a player named ..... Pedro.

Are they not a team of imported mercenaries?  They've been doing it in track and other olympic sports for awhile, I assumed it carried over to soccer too.

Since we're in a lull, a couple of questions yall might know:

1) Why are they moving the Copa America to even # years next year?

2) Why would Colombia agree to joint host with Argentina next year?

3) Is the Confederations Cup gone forever? Or just this one in Qatar?

I'll hang up and listen. 

I'll hang up and listen. 

I am not sure why they are moving to even number years, but if you look at the history of the Copa, you will see there hasn’t been much consistency regarding frequency, odd or even years. Actually, the only real long term consistency was when it was done yearly for the first 11 years of its existence (which predates the World Cup).
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

I'll hang up and listen. 

1) they want to have the tournament the same year as the European Championships.

2) They're changing the format. Two groups of 6, still a round robin in group play, top four in each group advance and they're doing a north south geographical split north (Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Australia or Qatar) and south (Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, Australia or Qatar)

3) it appears as if it's done.

• Like 1