2020 Texas Softball - Back to OKC!

Js1

9 minutes ago, torre said:

I think you and I agree,  she is a good ball player.

Hope she does great.   Close to home.   Great family,  Sat next to her parents at a game.

Not a great program but they did make back to back supers 2 years ago.  But man, they were 20-30 in 2018 (2-21 Pac 12) and even worse in 2019 at 19-35 (7-17). 

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Which of the new names are you expecting to have an impact?

Sullivan if she can immediately move into the 1B role, pushing Burke into the OF

Corona (my bad on the typo in her name) at SS, where we struggled to find a consistent player defensively (Slack .952 fielding and Parker .886 fielding)

Grace Green as the #3 pitcher and also Day to help take innings off of Elish and O'Leary 

My ideal lineup:

C Iakopo (JR)/Ellsworth (SR**)
1B Sullivan (SO)
2B Jefferson (JR)
SS Corona* (FR)
3B Rhodes (SR)
OF Washington (SR)
OF Burke (JR)
OF Hathaway (RS SR)
DH Ellsworth/Iakopo

*Probably let Elish hit when she's pitching and she'd replace the freshman - in games where Elish pitches, we'd have an almost entirely upperclass lineup at the plate 

**Ellsworth will probably get a 5th year medical redshirt year because she only played in 3 games last year

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

We never get our spring schedule until pretty late (December/January) but we know this:

https://texassports.com/news/2019/8/15/softball-to-play-in-the-2020-puerto-vallarta-college-challenge.aspx

Feb 13-16

We will be in session 2 which includes: Cal Baptist, Colorado State, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Utah.   Really hope we can get CSU, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Utah as our opponents - that will help with RPI a lot. 

I'd imagine we will open at home for the Texas Classic
Then PV Challenge
Probably 2 home challenges (Texas Invitational & Longhorn Invitational)
2 road tournament s(last year was @ Tennessee and @ ASU)
We are on the road versus ISU and OU
We have home series against Ok State, Tech and Kansas
This year should be a 2-1 Waco/Austin split 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

We never get our spring schedule until pretty late (December/January) but we know this:

https://texassports.com/news/2019/8/15/softball-to-play-in-the-2020-puerto-vallarta-college-challenge.aspx

Feb 13-16

We will be in session 2 which includes: Cal Baptist, Colorado State, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Utah.   Really hope we can get CSU, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Utah as our opponents - that will help with RPI a lot. 

I'd imagine we will open at home for the Texas Classic
Then PV Challenge
Probably 2 home challenges (Texas Invitational & Longhorn Invitational)
2 road tournament s(last year was @ Tennessee and @ ASU)
We are on the road versus ISU and OU
We have home series against Ok State, Tech and Kansas
This year should be a 2-1 Waco/Austin split 

Just read we are hosting ULL for 2 games as well.  Should be salty BUT ALSO very fun because Megan Kleist, a former Mike White pitcher from Oregon, is now eligible to pitch for the Cajuns.  Elish vs. Kleist is bound to happen.  Advantage Texas, Mike knows everything in her arsenal. 

Any chance this may be streamed on Facebook or one of the softball sites  ?

AUSTIN, Texas – Head coach Mike White and the Longhorns softball team are heading out on the road for the only time during the 2019 fall season to battle LSU on Fri., Oct. 18, at 7 p.m. CT, as part of Ronald McDonald Weekend at the Scrap Yard Dawgs facility (29607 Robinson Road) in Conroe, Texas.

Tickets for the game will be available for purchase at the gate for $10, while children six & under as well as military/first responder/police will be admitted free with proper identification. A fireworks show is currently scheduled to begin after the conclusion of the fall contest.

As a heads-up to fans, no TV or radio coverage of the match-up between the Longhorns and Tigers will be available.

2019 Texas Softball Fall Schedule

Fri., Oct. 18                 LSU                                                      7 p.m. CT        Scrapyard Field/Conroe, Texas

Sat., Oct. 26                Tarleton State                                     12 p.m. CT      McCombs Field

Vernon College                                  2 p.m. CT        McCombs Field

Sat., Nov. 2                 St. Edward's                                        12 p.m. CT      McCombs Field

Temple College                                  2 p.m. CT        McCombs Field

Sun., Nov. 3                St. Mary's                                            12 p.m. CT      McCombs Field (LHN)

McLennan Community College          2:30 p.m. CT   McCombs Field (LHN)

Fri., Nov. 8                  Texas State                                         6 p.m. CT        McCombs Field

https://texassports.com/news/2019/10/17/softball-opens-its-fall-slate-on-friday-in-a-neutral-site-match-up-versus-lsu.aspx

So a glorified scrimmage against a consistently great program. Everyone played im sure. Sounds like most of LSU’s runs came off Green and Day and maybe Shea too. Elish pitched the first 3. Rhodes had a HR.

not even a box score, come on. That’s dumb AF

I went to the first game today.  Here were the starters the first few innings (and some thoughts):

P - Elish - a few more walks than she normally gives up but otherwise excellent as usual.

C - Sullivan - saw 2 passed balls.  A little worrisome.

1B - Washington - not expecting her here, but did great on two difficult foul pop ups at the fence between 1st and home.

2B  - Jefferson - nothing stood out - solid in the field

SS - Parker - had a great 6-3 put out on a slow roller.  

3B - Iakopo - weird to see her at 3rd, but makes sense with her arm.  

LF - Hathaway

CF - Rhodes - fucking annihilated that HR down the 3rd baseline.  No doubter as soon at it came off the bat.  Weird to see her in CF.

RF - Burke - great throw from RF to throw runner out at the plate.  I like her much better in the OF.

Missed an inning here and there due to kids, concessions, and family bullshit.   Still worried about our power, but we look solid otherwise. 

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Like 3

Also, some lighthearted moments from the JUCO team we played (Vernon).  Before their game, but during the game with Tarleton, a couple of players were having their teammates take pictures of them in the stadium with the longhorn logo in the back.  You could tell it was a big deal for some of them.

After the Tarleton game, as we were walking back to the car, the JUCO girls were huddled by the sidewalk and I could hear some of their chatter.  One girl was doing a horns down pose.  Another asked a teammate, "Do you think I could get Elish to sign my pajamas?"  Lulz.  

Edited by bschoolprof

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I went to the first game today.  Here were the starters the first few innings (and some thoughts):

P - Elish - a few more walks than she normally gives up but otherwise excellent as usual.

C - Sullivan - saw 2 passed balls.  A little worrisome.

1B - Washington - not expecting her here, but did great on two difficult foul pop ups at the fence between 1st and home.

2B  - Jefferson - nothing stood out - solid in the field

SS - Parker - had a great 6-3 put out on a slow roller.  

3B - Iakopo - weird to see her at 3rd, but makes sense with her arm.  

LF - Hathaway

CF - Rhodes - fucking annihilated that HR down the 3rd baseline.  No doubter as soon at it came off the bat.  Weird to see her in CF.

RF - Burke - great throw from RF to throw runner out at the plate.  I like her much better in the OF.

Missed an inning here and there due to kids, concessions, and family bullshit.   Still worried about our power, but we look solid otherwise. 

For a reference and comparison, last week against LSU the game started like this:

P - Elish

C - Ellsworth

1B - Sullivan

2B - Jefferson

SS - Parker

3B - Iakopo

LF - Washington

CF - Rhodes

RF - Tedder

Elish threw the 1st three innings (all to Ellsworth), Ari Adams threw 4-6 (all to Sullivan), O'Leary threw 7-9 (all to Iakopo), Day started the 10th and loaded the bases without getting an out, Green came in and got a groundball double play and a K (can't remember who was catching)

1 hour ago, texashorn13 said:

Elish threw the 1st three innings (all to Ellsworth), Ari Adams threw 4-6 (all to Sullivan), O'Leary threw 7-9 (all to Iakopo), Day started the 10th and loaded the bases without getting an out, Green came in and got a groundball double play and a K (can't remember who was catching)

Thanks !

- Did Sullivan do well catching  ?   Definitely need 2 catchers,  but keep the vital rappport (trust, communication) with the pitcher.   Can be a challenge for a freshman.

- iirc,  Shea gave up the tying runs ?

Edited by torre

Elish and Ellsworth were great - Elish was unhittable and made LSU's batters look foolish.  They were having bad at-bats off her.

Adams and Sullivan were great - LSU put the ball in play a few times but nothing our defense couldn't handle with ease.

O'Leary and Iakopo - They were bad.  O'Leary was all over the place with several walks, and Iakopo struggled to frame pitches close to the zone, and had several passed balls.  On one of the passed balls she let the runner go from first to third.  Shea was responsible for 6 of the 7 runs I think.

Day/Green and ??? - Day struggled to find the strike zone, walked two and gave up and IF single.  Green came in and got a ground ball double play (that scored one) and then a K to get out of it.

Yesterday's pitching - I wasn't there, but was told that Adams was the second pitcher against Tarleton and gave up the runs including the grand slam.  Green was the second pitcher against Vernon and she walked the bases loaded before Day relieved her and got out of it.

I would not be surprised to see Green redshirt.  Elish is #1, Shea #2 and Adams #3, with Day eating some innings.  Day will be a bat off the bench in RBI situations, which is why I think Green will RS and not Day.  Day has a very good bat.

I think 3B/1B/RF/DP will be a battle, and possible revolving door.

• 3B - Iakopo did not look good there.  LSU hit three balls her way and she ole'd two of them, and was saved on the third by her arm.  She is way too stiff moving.  When she went out, they slid Parker over there and Slack went to SS.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Camille Corona may eventually win the 3B job.  I think the staff is going to do anything they can to keep Rhodes in CF.
  • RF - Tedder/Burke/Hathaway
  • 1B - Whoever isn't in RF + Sullivan/Ellsworth
  • DP - any of the above

Overall I think our offense is going to be very good, we have an abundance of bats and players who can hit.  Defense should be improved, only concerns are SS and/or 3B.  I think Parker can fill one of those spots, just not sure who will fill the other.

• Like 1

Appears we will be at the 2020 Judi Garman in California from 2/26-3/1.  Not sure how many games, but 2 for sure listed below. 

Feb 7-9 - opening season tournament at home (Colorado State, Maryland, TAMUCC, Wichita State)
Feb 13-16 - Puerta Vallarta Challenge (Cal Baptist, Colorado State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Utah)
Feb 25 - ULL DUH at home
Feb 28 - Washington (at Judi Garman)
March 1- - Boise State (at Judi Garman)
We are making a trip to Tuscaloosa for a tournament that was mentioned after the Super Regional earlier this year March 13-15 - we will play Alabama twice and BYU once

AUSTIN, Texas – The Texas softball team will continue its 2019 fall schedule this weekend at Red & Charline McCombs Field by hosting a Saturday doubleheader against St. Edward's (12 p.m.) and Temple College (2 p.m.) as well as a Sunday twin bill live on Longhorn Network against St. Mary's (12 p.m.) and McLennan Community College (2:30 p.m. CT).

All four of this weekend's games are FREE to all fans who wish to attend (no tickets required) with parking available in Lot 115 directly behind McCombs Field. All other lots on the east side of campus will require a proper PTS parking permit.

As a heads-up, no TV or radio coverage of Saturday's match-ups will be available, but both of Sunday's contests will be shown live on Longhorn Network with Alex Loeb and Amanda Scarborough on the call.

https://texassports.com/news/2019/11/1/softball-to-host-saturday-and-sunday-fall-doubleheaders.aspx

• Like 1

12 hours ago, torre said:

AUSTIN, Texas – The Texas softball team will continue its 2019 fall schedule this weekend at Red & Charline McCombs Field by hosting a Saturday doubleheader against St. Edward's (12 p.m.) and Temple College (2 p.m.) as well as a Sunday twin bill live on Longhorn Network against St. Mary's (12 p.m.) and McLennan Community College (2:30 p.m. CT).

All four of this weekend's games are FREE to all fans who wish to attend (no tickets required) with parking available in Lot 115 directly behind McCombs Field. All other lots on the east side of campus will require a proper PTS parking permit.

As a heads-up, no TV or radio coverage of Saturday's match-ups will be available, but both of Sunday's contests will be shown live on Longhorn Network with Alex Loeb and Amanda Scarborough on the call.

https://texassports.com/news/2019/11/1/softball-to-host-saturday-and-sunday-fall-doubleheaders.aspx

I don't understand why the LHN has a damn aggy commentating. Megan may have an annoying voice, but just about anyone is better than a damn aggy. Certainly there's other alumni that have halfway decent speaking skills. How about Blair?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

How about Blair?

Know her Dad and spoke with him last Spring at a game.   She married a servicemember (Marine, iirc) and is living in Japan.    After graduation and a short stint in the NPF. she taught at Del Valle HS and was a volunteer coach with the softball team.     Been in Japan couple of years,  may be returning soon  ?

If there is such a thing,  Amanda is a pretty good aggy.  😊     She knows the game. 

https://twitter.com/TexasSoftball?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Follow today's action with link above.

I was on campus yesterday and stopped by for a few innings.  We were playing Temple JC, which was the 2nd game.  I don't know the outcome of either game.  It was 2-0 Texas when I left.

We had O'Leary on the mound and she looked solid.  I did notice Corona at 3rd (she is tiny).  She had a great putout, but also maybe had an error (don't know how they scored it).  Sullivan hit a dinger to straight away center, so it looks like she may help us out in the power department.  We were sorely lacking in that last year.  

It will be interesting to see what the lineups look like today.