Remodeling a house - logistics, cost, etc.

• 2 years later...

I have some questions that are popping up and I could use some advice on what others are doing/have done. I am sure I will have more as we keep moving along.

TL;DR is we started our fairly massive remodel project that we signed before Covid in March. It consists of a dormer Master Suite addition above existing garage/family room, new roof and siding, full kitchen redo including taking out a wall, and framing in an office in the already mostly finished basement and moving the laundry room from the unfinished portion up to the second story. Also flooring all around the main level and possibly upstairs, too.

These questions are specifically about doors.

Front door will need to get replaced. We have a double door currently. We like it. We like being able to open both up when we need to move stuff in/out, Xmas tree for example. I have noticed most people don't have double doors when I look around and pay attention. If they are double wide they are doing the single door with glass panes on either side thing. I like how that looks but we don't want that. Does anyone still do a double door in practice? Does this look terribly 1980s?

Other door question. I had planned to just do a regular door in the basement but I'm rethinking it due to sunlight (big egress window is in the new office) plus I would like to be able to open this area up when not in use. I was initially thinking barn door but then I thought about noise. Anyone have any experience with noise and double French doors or even a double pocket door?

I have double doors in the front and I like it for exactly the reasons you cited.  I don’t think it looks dated,  but  my house was built in the early 90’s and I’m old and fuck what anyone else thinks.  I also like wearing those sketchers step in sneakers that. you don’t have to tie and fuck you if you don’t think they’re the bomb.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 4:14 PM, Baboontyme said:

Does anyone still do a double door in practice? Does this look terribly 1980s?

I currently have the single door with glass on each side (and above). We will eventually be going to a 10’ double door to better scale the size of our entry.    It’s going to be expensive and a bitch, but it’s going to look better.  

• Like 1

A week ago Friday the HVAC guys showed up while I was on a conference call to run some ductwork in the addition. No one tells me anything but cool. They blocked me in the driveway with their van. It was raining. All of these subcontractors have been great. Seriously, all very accommodating and professional and fast. I had made small talk with them in the past and I asked them politely if they could move their van so I could get out and go to the gym. I offered them the driveway after I left. They were super cool about it and took me up on the driveway. 

Friday night, or maybe Saturday morning, parked back in the driveway I notice a sheet metal screw lodged deep in my front driver's side tire. God dammit I even bought one of those magnet sweeper things because of this but I didn't use it given the rain. NBD Belle Tire will plug this for free since I bought the tires there, I just need to find the time.

I went in today and the hole can't be plugged due to location, basically on the inside edge going into the sidewall. 380 out the door. 

Then I got annoyed and decided I would email my builder. I was really reasonable and just said hey, I know shit happens, and I'm not going to get all bent out of shape either way, but this happened and I didn't even care until they told me I had to get it replaced and it's going to cost me $400. Let me know your thoughts. 

His response has me more annoyed than had I not sent the email in the first place. Is it unreasonable to think that the right thing to do would have been to at least offer to split it with me? I don't care about the money, I just think little things can go a long way (in both directions). This project is not going to end anytime soon and we're going to have to deal with each other a lot. 

I have double doors in the front and I like it for exactly the reasons you cited.  I don’t think it looks dated,  but  my house was built in the early 90’s and I’m old and fuck what anyone else thinks.  I also like wearing those sketchers step in sneakers that. you don’t have to tie and fuck you if you don’t think they’re the bomb.

My daughter says only old people and little kids wear sketchers

IDGAF. I wear the slip one as well. Has resolved feet problems