butler park pitch and putt

futureman

24 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm sure at least one of our council members got a few extra dollars in their pocket for that.

And it will be condos within five years. 

Council member Jimmy Flannigan was the most vocal in support of awarding the contract to the winning bidder, Pecan Grove Partners

Flannigan said that it would set a bad precedent and open up the procurement process to political pressure if the council did not award the contract to Pecan Grove Partners, one of two groups considered for the operations contract.

27 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I hate our city council.

Hopefully you hate them for only being paid $87k per year for someone to operate/lease/use that property. That maybe the worst deal I have ever heard of.

They should totally figure out what to do with that land before ever touching Lions. Unreal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Council member Jimmy Flannigan was the most vocal in support of awarding the contract to the winning bidder, Pecan Grove Partners

Flannigan said that it would set a bad precedent and open up the procurement process to political pressure if the council did not award the contract to Pecan Grove Partners, one of two groups considered for the operations contract.

Flannigan will be moving to a nicer home, soon.

Fuck every one of those fucking assholes.  "Technicality" my ass.

Thank God I'm no longer subject to those fucktards, what a bunch of fucked up shitheads.  Collectively they're not worth smallest dump I've taken in the last 30 years.

“Unless something goes awry in contract negotiations, Pecan Grove Partners will lease the course from the city at no cost and give 18% of both admissions and concessions to the city, which realized $87,367 in revenue in 2018. The operator pays for all maintenance and operations, including course upkeep.”

It makes me ragey that for 70 years this family was netting $480k a year on Butler Pitch and Putt. Taking zero risk (no fixed payments), using public property. WTF????

• Fuck You 6

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

I took that to read the park grossed $87,000 in revenue last year. Not that $87,000 would have been 18% of revenue. There's no way Butler makes that much money. Have you seen their prices?

Ok. Then that means the city netted $15k on that piece of land? That would save my rage on the previous family but double my rage on how dumb the city is business-wise.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

Ok. Then that means the city netted $15k on that piece of land? That would save my rage on the previous family but double my rage on how dumb the city is business-wise.

Are you of the opinion that every decision that a city makes on use of land should be based on best financial outcome? Because if so then fuck every park in every town in America. 

• Like 3

I did a quick Google search, I think you were right originally.
8700 @$10 per head?
That's 23 ppl per day, that's easy. There is no doubt in my mind that they do closer to half a million a year. 
47000 @$10 per head 
That's around 130 people per day. That sounds more accurate. 
Yeah I think you're right. Found this on an article from March.

"Now 71 years later, it’s a thriving course with 35,000 golfers each year."

Just now, El Diablo said:

Are you of the opinion that every decision that a city makes on use of land should be based on best financial outcome? Because if so then fuck every park in every town in America. 

No. But after seeing that ONE family had it for all that time and gets it for 18% of what it generates, with no risk, fix cost etc... and clears $480k while the city makes $87k is unreal.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

No. But after seeing that ONE family had it for all that time and gets it for 18% of what it generates, with no risk, fix cost etc... and clears $480k while the city makes $87k is unreal.

So after paying the city the family grosses what, tree fiddy? How much should it cost to staff and maintain a golf course 7 days a week year round? In your opinion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

So after paying the city the family grosses what, tree fiddy? How much should it cost to staff and maintain a golf course 7 days a week year round? In your opinion. 

A golf course? Or butler pitch n putt? The family are the only employees. So $0 for labor. To mow the grass? Maybe $25k a year in expenses?

This story has a little more info on the new company and their plans plus it gives a figure of roughly a half million that the city has earned on the deal over the last 15 years while leasing to the Kinser's. That does not break down to $87K a year but I suck at the math.

https://www.kut.org/post/austin-parks-board-recommends-new-golf-vendor-perhaps-ending-familys-70-year-run

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

“Unless something goes awry in contract negotiations, Pecan Grove Partners will lease the course from the city at no cost and give 18% of both admissions and concessions to the city, which realized $87,367 in revenue in 2018. The operator pays for all maintenance and operations, including course upkeep.

It makes me ragey that for 70 years this family was netting $480k a year on Butler Pitch and Putt. Taking zero risk (no fixed payments), using public property. WTF????

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

Reading is fundamental.

What do we think maintenance and operations on that joint runs annually?

Edited by Anastasis

the people that took over an 18 hole course where my uncle lives that is private and went BK are spending $250,000 just on mowing and that is mowing it to look like shit not golf course conditions and no maintenance of anything like greens, fairways, or sand traps.....just mowing it like it is a shitty yard

sure it is much bigger than Pitch and Put being that it is 18 holes and a pretty decent length course, but you start adding in maintaining greens and fairways to any decent quality and I would bet Pitch and Put is spending well over half of that

and that is no watering, fert, spraying, or anything else.......mow and go

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Figured Austin would have turned it into an overpriced, overrated piece of shit long ago.

Fees are going to go up 500% and they are going to cap and double-deck it..  And it’ll get gondola and light rail service.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

58 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You know how I know you have no business sense whatsoever?

How?

Because I didn’t account for how much cash they just pocket and not report to the city? They’ve only been operating this cash business model for 70 years. Maybe they haven’t figured that part out yet?

• Fuck You 1

55 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

How?

Because I didn’t account for how much cash they just pocket and not report to the city? They’ve only been operating this cash business model for 70 years. Maybe they haven’t figured that part out yet?

The founder took a chance on a bunch of pastureland. It's paid dividends for their family, yes. Maybe the city should have revisited the terms of the lease as the operation became more lucrative for the family, but why? What did the city risk initially? It was pastureland. Rewarding those with vision isn't un-American. Making it a gift now, generation after generation, is fair game for ire, I guess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fees are going to go up 500% and they are going to cap and double-deck it..  And it’ll get gondola and light rail service.  

Maybe they could hire the homeless to caddy?

Edited by Beau Vine