Who is your current favorite announcer?

markstanco

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

No excuses for the Mixon comments. I never found him to play favorites per se-- he seemed like he loved all the blueblood programs

Hit it right on the head

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I liked Musberger-- I won't defend him to anyone who doesn't like him, but he was a big game announcer from the time I first started watching the sport. 

my post wasn't in jest.  I actually do enjoy both of them as commentators.  I know everyone hates on Galindo, but the guy is a good homer, enthusiastic and entertaining.  Yeah, he can be a bit awkward at the wrong moments but the guy does his job with passion, and loves the Longhorns.  I enjoy that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sock Drawer said:

C'mon, guys; this is a buncha' bullshit in what should be a one-answer thread: Keith Jackson for CFB, Vin Scully for MLB, and nobody give a fuck about the NFL, the NBA, the NHL, and for sure that boring-ass golf.

Although you have a good point, OP stated "current" broadcasters.  

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 9:36 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

No excuses for the Mixon comments. I never found him to play favorites per se-- he seemed like he loved all the blueblood programs

Musberger loved whoever was playing in the game he was calling.  Every game was fun to him, likely because he always had a BAC that started with .2.

23 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

my post wasn't in jest.  I actually do enjoy both of them as commentators.  I know everyone hates on Galindo, but the guy is a good homer, enthusiastic and entertaining.  Yeah, he can be a bit awkward at the wrong moments but the guy does his job with passion, and loves the Longhorns.  I enjoy that.  

If Galindo were sitting behind me at a game, I'd probably turn around and tell him to please shut the fuck up for even two seconds. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 9:26 AM, CycleTex87 said:

no Beth Mowins love in here?

Just because I was curious, I went looking for any sort of statistical evidence that she has done damage to her brand, but as it turns out, it doesn't actually matter how irritating people find an announcer (not just her, but any announcer, really): the make or break for a sports broadcast, it turns out, is whether or not people are interested in the game itself.

Beth Mowins, Mickey Mouse, Charles Manson, Lady Gaga... doesn't matter who is in the booth. If they are calling a game like LSU at Texas, people will watch no matter how much the announcers suck.

I like Gary Throne, especially in comparison with all the other dickheads who are not Gary Thorne.

The exception being Daryl Reaugh Thesaurus Man...

• 2 years later...

Just watched Cincinnati and Kansas City. 99% of games, I don't care who the announcer is. I find them all to be decent. The one exception is Steve Levy. You can add Tony Romo to that list. 

I tuned into the 4th quarter and overtime. He would not stop talking. It was constant chattering. It would be fine if he was making some point or stating something factual. But he was just kind of jabbering about this and that without saying much. Just conjecture, making jokes that his broadcast partner didn't get, and talking about how the Bengals were going to the Super Bowl several plays before the ball was even kicked (talk about asking for a jinx).

It was like he has a word-count bonus in his contract and was trying to meet his number before the end of the last game of the season.

Of the old guys I loved Keith Jackson paired with Frank Broyles for college. For pros I loved Pat Summerall with John Madden. Loved the Frank, Howard, and Don trio for Monday Night. For radio l enjoyed the variety of the college games I’d listen to on Saturday nights. And Frank Glieber for the Cowboys.

These days I really like Al Michaels and Collinsworth. The college guys are pretty milquetoast. Love Brad Sham.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/21/2019 at 8:58 PM, Underdog said:

Old enough to remember when Al Michaels called Reds games on radio, baseball to me will always be Joe & Tony on Saturday afternoons then POs and WS. 

Yeah.  I think Al Michaels is great.  Of course, he doesn't do college.

I remember listening to the '72 NL championship series game 5 he was calling.  Listened to it from Houston on WLW (AM 700 in Cincinnati)  in the daytime.  Definitely a little static!  Used to be able to recite the whole bottom of the 9th.  "THE PENNANT'S ON SECOND!!!  THE PENNANT'S ON SECOND!!!  Wild pitch!  THE PENNANT'S ON THIRD!!!  THE PENNANT'S ON THIRD!!!

(for those who were not Reds fans, the Pirates lead 2-1 going into the bottom of the 9th, Johnny Bench hit a tying home run, Tony Perez got on with a single, George Foster pinch ran for him and after a rookie Ken Griffey (Senior, of course, not Junior.) sac bunt and 2 wild pitches, the Reds won 3-2.)

• Rage+1 1

On 1/30/2022 at 9:33 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Of the old guys I loved Keith Jackson paired with Frank Broyles for college. For pros I loved Pat Summerall with John Madden. Loved the Frank, Howard, and Don trio for Monday Night. For radio l enjoyed the variety of the college games I’d listen to on Saturday nights. And Frank Glieber for the Cowboys.

These days I really like Al Michaels and Collinsworth. The college guys are pretty milquetoast. Love Brad Sham.

My old school fave was Charlie Jones; he always did those 3PM AFC West games, great voice and knew when to shut up and let the crowd announce….

• Like 1

Among the new guys, I have really enjoyed Dan Cambell's work. He's fresh and upbeat, doesn't overdo it, doesn't talk down to the audience or show off too much. He makes his games more enjoyable. He reminds me a bit of Moose Johnston, so he probably won't be popular and move up in the ranks as he should, unfortunately. Just doesn't fit in with the drek that networks want to push nowdays.

On 1/30/2022 at 8:40 PM, Hate said:

Romo is a beating. He sucked on the field and he sucks in the booth.

Romo would be good if he would just filter out the random momentary thoughts in his head. His early work showed promise but his early success seems to have supported his worst attributes as an announcer.

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Among the new guys, I have really enjoyed Dan Cambell's work. He's fresh and upbeat, doesn't overdo it, doesn't talk down to the audience or show off too much. He makes his games more enjoyable. He reminds me a bit of Moose Johnston, so he probably won't be popular and move up in the ranks as he should, unfortunately. Just doesn't fit in with the drek that networks want to push nowdays.

Not trying to be a dick, but I watch way too much football (I presume this is the sport we are talking about being the Football board), but I can’t for the life of me figure out who you’re talking about. Dan Campbell with a P is obviously the Lions coach, and I know you know that. Orlovsky?

3 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Not trying to be a dick, but I watch way too much football (I presume this is the sport we are talking about being the Football board), but I can’t for the life of me figure out who you’re talking about. Dan Campbell with a P is obviously the Lions coach, and I know you know that. Orlovsky?

I meant Greg Olson. I always get their names mixed up for some reason. That happens to the olds.

• 11 months later...

NBC lands broadcast crew for network's upcoming Big Ten package

Big Ten football will be televised like a junior version of the NFL starting next season.

ZACH BARNETT     JAN 6, 2023

The Big Ten's massive new TV deal begins next season, and it's a deal that's massive in more ways than one. The payout is massive -- north of $1 billion per year for the next seven years -- and so, too, is the coverage.

Starting with the 2023 season, Big Ten football will be televised like a minor league version of the NFL. The conference will retain its status as the default home of Fox's Big Noon Saturday package. It will share the 3:30 ET window on CBS with the SEC before taking over that package completely in 2024, and, just like the NFL, Big Ten games will air in prime time on NBC.

According to the New York Post, NBC has identified Noah Eagle and Todd Blackledge as the broadcast tandem for its B1G on NBC package.

Eagle, 26, is the son of CBS's No. 2 play-by-play announcer Ian Eagle. The younger Eagle has called NFL games for Fox, the NFL Network, and Nickelodeon, college football games on Fox, and is also the radio voice of the Los Angeles Clippers.

Jac Collinsworth, son of Cris, is the play-by-play voice of NBC's Notre Dame package. 

Blackledge was the color analyst for the SEC on CBS package from 1999-05 before he was replaced by Gary Danielson. He joined ESPN's roster of college football analysts in 2006 and has worked his way to the No. 2 team alongside Sean McDonough. Their crew called the Fiesta Bowl semifinal last weekend and will do the CFP National Championship on ESPN Radio on Monday night.

The move will be a homecoming for the former Penn State quarterback.

CBS has indicated its No. 1 crew of Brad Nessler and Danielson will follow the network from the SEC to the Big Ten when the SEC contract expires in 2023. 

Fairly or unfairly, Danielson acquired the reputation as the No. 1 SEC propagandist during his decade and a half calling the network's games, so it'll be interesting to see if the former Purdue quarterback attempts to shed that label when he and his team move north full-time starting in 2024. 

3 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

The ones that just blend into the broadcast are my favorite.

This new style of get loud, come up with clever comments, or over the top shit has gotten old. We ain’t here to listen to the fucking announcers.

Spoiler

image.jpeg.4fbb321cb3cea16272b440c843a22fd6.jpeg

Edited by Lymanward
  • Haha 1

Nobody in NFL, college football, or college basketball.

If there was a button like "SAP" that turned the announcers off and let you hear the sounds within the arena, I'd use it every.fucking.time.

I don’t want the sounds of current arenas and stadiums in my house. There isn’t a second of silence if you attend a game. DJs, blasting heavy bass lines, “Thiiird Dowwwnn!!!” “Charge!” It’s a Threeee!” Just stfu.

I don’t like Al Michaels on thursdays. I liked him on Sundays with Collinsworth. That’s about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, lot of nepotism in sports announcing. Very weird.

Know nothing of Eagle. I think Blackledge is great. Nessler is amazing, Danielson I think is ok. 

Going to be weird not to have the SEC game on CBS anymore. That broadcast literally built that conference. I honestly wonder if the luster of the conference goes down due to that loss. I will definitely miss the CBS production quality, which is fantastic.

Another article    NEW YORK POST

NBC swipes ESPN’s Todd Blackledge to team with Noah Eagle for new Big Ten coverage

By Andrew Marchand     January 6, 2023 

NBC Sports’ new Big Ten prime-time broadcast team is going to have an old-school and new-school look, The Post has learned.

NBC has swiped Todd Blackledge from ESPN for its forthcoming Saturday college football package and will team him with 26-year-old play-by-player Noah Eagle, according to sources.

For Blackledge, 61, this will be his third network after runs at CBS and ESPN. He is expected to call the national championship on ESPN Radio Monday, which will be his final assignment with the network. He is considered ESPN’s No. 2 college football game analyst behind Kirk Herbstreit.

Eagle, the son of famed play-by-player, Ian, continues a meteoric rise. Besides being the radio voice of the Clippers, he gained national attention by calling the Nickelodeon NFL games with Nate Burleson. He also was a play-by-player on regular season NFL games for Fox Sports and NFL Network this season. With Fox Sports, he was a weekly play-by-player on its college football coverage.

NBC has shown a preference for hiring the sons of successful sportscasters, as it has Jac Collinsworth, son of Cris, on Notre Dame play-by-play and as part of “Football Night in America,” where Cris is the lead “Sunday Night Football” game analyst. Chris Simms, son of Phil, is also on FNIA, as well as Pro Football Talk with Mike Florio.

newspress-collage-25261964-1673023062730

NBC has swiped Todd Blackledge from ESPN for its forthcoming Saturday college football package with 26-year-old play-by-player, Noah Eagle.

The Post previously reported that Maria Taylor, the host of FNIA, will also take on lead studio duties for NBC’s new Big Ten coverage.

In the forthcoming seasons, the Big Ten will have a new football presentation, which won’t include ESPN for the first time in nearly four decades. Fox will have its Big Noon Kickoff, while CBS will handle the 3:30 window, and then Eagle and Blackledge will be in prime time. 

noah_eagle.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=94

Noah Eagle was a play-by-player on regular season NFL games for Fox Sports and NFL Network this season.

For next year, CBS will still have SEC football – which muddled its Big Ten schedule a bit – but the following year all the SEC games will be on ESPN and its family of channels, while the Big Ten will be locked in at 3:30 on CBS sandwiched around Fox and NBC.