USMNT 2018

Ted Lange

54 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Having a hard time getting excited for the game. Damnit this feeling sucks so much

Aye, the most popular sporting event in the world is going down this summer and we're not involved. That fact is always looming overhead no matter who plays, how well they play, and whatever else happens this year.

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

I really like Zack Steffen in goal. Great with his feet too, which helps with our traditionally shite backline. 

He made a shitty decision on an outlet to Miazga that was nearly turned into a Paraguayan goal if not for Will Trapp coming back. I only saw the ESPN highlights and they mentioned that Miazga's turnover nearly led to a goal, but he never should have be given that ball in that position.

Didn't see any of the game live, but pleased that several youngsters got a runout. Wish that all of the substitution opportunities had been used and wish that the subs that did come on got more minutes. It's like the shitty temp coach thinks that he might have an opportunity to be named the head coach if he wins while using younger players.

FUCK NO!

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Aye, the most popular sporting event in the world is going down this summer and we're not involved. That fact is always looming overhead no matter who plays, how well they play, and whatever else happens this year.

China & India each have nearly a billion more people than we do and they're not going either.

Maybe soccer is only a "small country sport". (Or at least 200 Million and under.)

41 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

He made a shitty decision on an outlet to Miazga that was nearly turned into a Paraguayan goal if not for Will Trapp coming back. I only saw the ESPN highlights and they mentioned that Miazga's turnover nearly led to a goal, but he never should have be given that ball in that position.

Definitely true. That was not a good choice, but on that same note, lots of good buildup from the back as a result of his footwork. Miazga actually did fuck that up if we're being picky, but maybe a pass from the GK that didn't need to be made.

It was good to see Yedlin back out there doing his thing. If he could manage his temper, he could go places but as it is, his temper gets him one yellow card a match and his persistent bitching at the refs puts the D out of position on a quick restart.  On that front, I was real impressed with Trapp - he's starting to remind me of MB10 back in the '10 WC. Nothing flashy, just smart, decisive, and won't fuck up. He covered Yedlin's spot a few times when Yedlin would push up the field and/or aforementioned excessive bitching.

A midfield with Trapp/McKennie as the backbone is pretty compelling. Also a backline with CCV, Miazga, Brooks is pretty compelling as well.

I wanted to see Antonee Robinson get some minutes.  He's the only other natural RB on the roster and I'm not sold on Villafana. 

Also not sold on our front 3. Pulisic obviously but Wood has been out of form for a while and it showed last night. Johannsson is injured (again). Weah, Sargent are young and unproven at this level.

Win is a win, especially against any team from S. America. 

38 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Try explaining to an 8 year old who loves soccer that the US team isn't in the World Cup because....why again, dad? 

Seems like a chicken or the egg type thing; we suck because the youth movement/cultivation has been notoriously weak but then the youth don't have (on the global scale through World Cup) successful teams to look up to and emulate and want to be like.

I have twin 8 year olds that both love soccer and that won't be a problem in my house. The answer sucks and is hard to swallow but it is all right there in front of us. It isn't like it's some big secret to why we won't be playing this summer. And a great teaching moment for my kids too! 

Hard to take much from last night, but good to see some prospects get capped. So many of these guys will be different players in 3 years time.

Steffen is definitely the future in goal. He's not Neuer back there with his feet, but he's infinitely better than Howard or, gasp, Guzan.

Liked what I saw from Miazga and CCV, although I was shocked at how short CCV seemed compared to Santander. CCV is listed at 6'1" and Santander at 6'2". CCV is build like a brick shithouse though. I think the two of the and Brooks is a solid, young core to build on.

Tyler Adams looked great. A definite future.

Was more impressed with Delgado and Saief than I anticipated.

Weah has a world of potential.

I don't get the Wil Trapp love. He's a tidy player, no doubt, but he's already 25 and I can't see him playing a role going forward with USMNT. Seems like a revision of Dax McCarty - key MLS player, but can't make that step up.

Rubin and Novakovich just need games, especially Rubin. Hard to know what they have.

I will enjoy DeMarcus Beasely starting in World Cup 2022 with a walker, as our long trek through the desert to find a left back continues. Villafana is not the answer for the future.

My only real complaint was in the sub patterns.  In a game like this, why in the hell are Nagbe, Wood, Yedlin, getting pt over the kids we don’t know much about?  

It it was cool seeing the emotion on Nova... Nuba... not gonna play much tonight anyway’s Mom.

Liked Adam’s play as well, though he is a tad out of control at times.

Bottom line.  I’d rather be terrible with players giving effort than be terrible with experience with playing half-assed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My only real complaint was in the sub patterns.  In a game like this, why in the hell are Nagbe, Wood, Yedlin, getting pt over the kids we don’t know much about?  

It it was cool seeing the emotion on Nova... Nuba... not gonna play much tonight anyway’s Mom.

Liked Adam’s play as well, though he is a tad out of control at times.

Bottom line.  I’d rather be terrible with players giving effort than be terrible with experience with playing half-assed.

I’d guess that part of why they ran Wood out there is to see if they could help him break out of his funk. 

22 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I'd rather watch USTMNT

You’re not up for a cracking Champions(hip) league match on a cold, rainy Friday night in March at Derby?

Also, apparently Gooch is actually playing CAM in a 4-2-3-1.

Edited by Schulz2.0