USMNT 2018

Ted Lange

U.S.'s Timothy Weah confirms loan from PSG amid Celtic links

United States phenom Timothy Weah will leave Paris Saint-Germain to spend the next six months on loan, the 18-year-old announced on Christmas Day.

His destination has not been confirmed, but French radio RMC reported Weah would join Scottish giants Celtic, after former defender Kolo Toure helped convince him to make the move over interest from Premier League clubs in England.

Weah also recently followed over a dozen Celtic players on Instagram, adding further fuel to the speculation he is headed to Glasgow.

"I just want to take the time to talk to everyone about the decision my family and I made about going on loan this winter," Weah wrote in French on Instagram. "First of all, I want to thank the fans for their constant support, as well as the coaching staff and my teammates for making me feel part of the family.

"These few months were great even though I did not play much, I was always grateful for the opportunities I had at the beginning of the season because it opened many doors for me this winter.

"I love you and I know you will go to the end and you will take the cup this year, God is with you all. I will miss the fans as well as the energy you bring to each game. I love you and God bless you. I hope that after these six months, I will be ready to return to the Parc des Princes and give everything to make you proud to be Parisian."

Weah made a handful of appearance for PSG's first team in August, scoring in the season-opening Trophée des Champions super cup win over Monaco and again in their Ligue 1 opener against Caen. He started the following game at Guingamp, but since then has served time with the reserves.

The forward has played in eight of the United States' friendlies this year after making his international debut in March against Paraguay. He scored his first international goal in May against Bolivia.

If he does join Celtic, Weah could make his debut as early as Jan. 19 in the Scottish Cup against Airdrieonians.

Celtic lead the Scottish Premiership by one point over rival Rangers with a game in hand, and are also through to the knockout stage of the Europa League, where they will face Valencia in the round of 32 in February.

Weah, who was born in New York and moved to France four years ago, is the son of George Weah, who won the Ballon d'Or in 1995 and is now the president of his home country Liberia.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3736006/uss-timothy-weah-confirms-loan-from-psg-amid-celtic-links

The Scottish league sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, especially not a person who might play with a bit of skill. It's good that he's going on loan, but I rather see an Austrian or Dutch club over a Scottish one, even if it is Celtic.

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

U.S.'s Timothy Weah confirms loan from PSG amid Celtic links

United States phenom Timothy Weah will leave Paris Saint-Germain to spend the next six months on loan, the 18-year-old announced on Christmas Day.

His destination has not been confirmed, but French radio RMC reported Weah would join Scottish giants Celtic, after former defender Kolo Toure helped convince him to make the move over interest from Premier League clubs in England.

Weah also recently followed over a dozen Celtic players on Instagram, adding further fuel to the speculation he is headed to Glasgow.

"I just want to take the time to talk to everyone about the decision my family and I made about going on loan this winter," Weah wrote in French on Instagram. "First of all, I want to thank the fans for their constant support, as well as the coaching staff and my teammates for making me feel part of the family.

"These few months were great even though I did not play much, I was always grateful for the opportunities I had at the beginning of the season because it opened many doors for me this winter.

"I love you and I know you will go to the end and you will take the cup this year, God is with you all. I will miss the fans as well as the energy you bring to each game. I love you and God bless you. I hope that after these six months, I will be ready to return to the Parc des Princes and give everything to make you proud to be Parisian."

Weah made a handful of appearance for PSG's first team in August, scoring in the season-opening Trophée des Champions super cup win over Monaco and again in their Ligue 1 opener against Caen. He started the following game at Guingamp, but since then has served time with the reserves.

The forward has played in eight of the United States' friendlies this year after making his international debut in March against Paraguay. He scored his first international goal in May against Bolivia.

If he does join Celtic, Weah could make his debut as early as Jan. 19 in the Scottish Cup against Airdrieonians.

Celtic lead the Scottish Premiership by one point over rival Rangers with a game in hand, and are also through to the knockout stage of the Europa League, where they will face Valencia in the round of 32 in February.

Weah, who was born in New York and moved to France four years ago, is the son of George Weah, who won the Ballon d'Or in 1995 and is now the president of his home country Liberia.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3736006/uss-timothy-weah-confirms-loan-from-psg-amid-celtic-links

The Scottish league sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, especially not a person who might play with a bit of skill. It's good that he's going on loan, but I rather see an Austrian or Dutch club over a Scottish one, even if it is Celtic.

It does suck but at least Celtic plays outside of the country somewhat often. They have a 2 leg against Valencia in February.

13 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

12 hours ago, tokamak said:

Will he though?

(Actually asking, not rhetorical or sarcastic)

One or more years ago, no one would ever think that an American would need to go to Chelsea so that he could get some playing time.

This is a crazy year!

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Agudelo got himself a baddie 

1) The country of his birth. (I'm guess that he's got dual citizenship.)

2) I might have to go wife shopping in Colombia soon.

3) It's crazy that he JUST TURNED 26 IN NOVEMBER! (He's been on the periphery of the USMNT for nearly a decade, but that's because he made his debut at ~17.

• 2 weeks later...

A reporter needing a story for the US soccer market and so he got someone famous to give a supportive comment about a player that would interest the US market...

PSG's Neymar: U.S. starlet Timothy Weah can be one of Europe's top attackers

Jonathan Johnson, PSG correspondent

Paris Saint-Germain superstar Neymar has backed new Celtic signing Tim Weah to develop into "one of the top attacking players in Europe" after he joined the Scottish giants on loan earlier this month.

Weah, 18, joined Celtic on an initial six-month loan deal last week and extended his PSG contract until 2021 just before leaving Parc des Princes but the senior American international has struggled for minutes this season since Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting's arrival as backup to Edinson Cavani.

Weah did shine during preseason, managing two goals from three competitive appearances for PSG at the start of this campaign, and Neymar has already seen enough to be convinced of the New York City native's potential.

"It is a very exciting move for Timothy," the Brazil international told Record Sport. "From what I have seen of his talent, he has everything to go and become one of the top attacking players in Europe.

"It is a good move for Timothy. Celtic too, as they are getting such a big talent, as well as PSG because Timothy has a chance to get experience and games before returning to us as a more complete player.

"Timothy did have options but he chose the right one. Celtic are a big club, they attack a lot and score a lot of goals in their league and also they are still in Europe, so they offer him plenty."...

http://www.espn.com/soccer/celtic/story/3751637/psgs-neymar-us-starlet-timothy-weah-can-be-one-of-europes-top-attackers

• 5 months later...

Okay now I'm sober and not distracted by Kate.

Last night I couldn't help but think how much higher this team's ceiling is with Adam's on the pitch. In his most recent games he was almost always our best or 2nd best player out there - and I think outside of Pulisic he changes our dynamic more than any other player.

We should have put 2 in the net last night and probably should have conceded one. Some games end 1-0, some games end 2-1, we could have gotten unlucky and lost but I thought for the most part our back line didn't suck and Steffen was really good. Our finishing was shit. No one helped Pulisic whether it was creating chances or simply putting the ball on target.

We need more talent in the midfield. Bradley is too slow. McKinnie is a solid player but seems to be more keen on making runs than playing through balls or really creating/orchestrating the attack.

With Berhalter's insistence on playing everything from the back (which is a topic for another post) Adams is incredibly valuable to what this team is capable of. Optimally Bradley packs his bags and Adams is our starting 6 for the next 12 years - but even if we are slotting him out of position he makes us instantly better by simply being out there.

So that said, I hope he gets healthy because we will need him for WC qualifying and to have any shot of competing in 2022. A gold cup win with this roster would be nice but I'm trying to step back and look at the larger picture, and I think that there have been flashes of the quality of play that we should strive for and ultimately expect. We just need to be more consistent, continue to build chemistry and work in some better talent as this young crop matures. 

• 3 weeks later...