Texas women's basketball '18-19

texasstrong12

20 minutes ago, Trent Whaley said:

Or, she just wasn’t good enough to get minutes.

I think Hosey was good enough if she played her role. 

The problem is Hosey tried to do too much. Shooting jump shots when she's a below average shooter and dumb fouls on the defensive end from playing too aggressive. 

Hosey is a good defender if she would just play that role and calm down. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So we'll be hosting a regional in 2021, but it will be hosted at the HEB Center in Cedar Park. I wonder if that's going to be our temporary home when the Erwin Center is torn down.

I posted it in another thread -

VERY RARELY are 3rd and 4th round games at someone's home arena. UConn doesn't get to host regionals in Storrs, they're usually in Bridgeport. Kentucky didn't get to host any of their regionals at Memorial Coliseum, but Rupp instead.  DePaul is hosting a regional at their men's arena, but not the women's home arena.  I think they wanted to give Texas a regional (maybe a "sorry we kept sending you to UConn" thing) but they avoid home arenas as much as possible so they said they'd do it in Cedar Park.  Even if Texas isn't a top 4 seed in 2021, you still have a good chance on attendance if Baylor is.

Edited by Js1

Alan Major has been named Director of Player Development. I always assume this is the "Enforcer" position.

18 years as an assistant men's coach at Ohio State, Xavier, Pacific, Southern Ill and Cal Lutheran.  Was also the former head men's coach at Charlotte (he and Karen overlapped a by a year at Charlotte).

That's some pretty good experience to have on staff doing video scouting.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Both the men and women's basketball teams have the worst luck with injuries. 

It’s not the worst. We were going to be overloaded at post depth regardless. Hard to play all 4 of them at once. Also we weren’t/aren’t recruiting a 2019 post since that Colorado girl chose Stanford. So it’ll be like an extra recruit in 19. 

Sucks, but could have been worse. 

• Like 1

We’ll see a lot more Mide but also a lot of Collier/Holmes lineups on the floor. Both can play as stretchy 5s. I hope Holmes is really working on her post game and putting the ball in the hoop better. 

I actually like Aborowa. She's the most limited big out of the group but she knows her limitations. I trust somebody like Aborowa in a 10-15 minute role more than I did Hosey. 

Starting 5 will likely be Sutton, Williams, Higgs, Holmes and White. 

Edited by texasstrong12

That will def be starting 5.  Higgs will be the 2 and Williams will be the 3.

There will be times on the floor that we are playing Aborowa/Holmes or Aborowa/Collier and Holmes/Collier.  It's still a lot of height and length.

Where will we miss Sedona the most this year is her length in a 2-3 zone.  But Karen plays zone about as much as Plonsky sucks dick, which is basically zero.

On the recruiting front, we have #14 Celeste Taylor for 2019 so far.  That's it.  I guess you can basically say Sedona is part of the 2019 class as she won't play until then as a RS FR.

We made the final 7 for #9 Rickea Jackson (6'2 SF) from Michigan which has been a big priority.  We're there along with Miss St, Louisville, Ohio State, Tenn, Rutgers and South Carolina.  Also in the final 5 for #47 Endyia Rogers (5'6 PG from Dallas) with Miss St, Ohio State, Southern Cal and Tenn. As far as I know, we are still a finalist for #2 Haley Jones, #4 Laeticia Amihere (6'3 F from Canada) and #22 Alijha Blackwell (6'0 G from Missouri).  Of course, the biggest question is are we going to get an OV out of Jackson since she has 7 schools and only 5 visits.

We may bring in a small 2019 class because the 2020 class is loaded and Texas already has #10 Deja Kelly and is going hard for #4 Sarah Andrews, #7 Hannah Gusters, #8 Sasha Goforth, #18 Angel Reese and #22 Priscilla Williams, who plays on the AAU team that Sug's dad coaches and is named after Sug (Phenom Sug).

On 8/6/2018 at 7:42 AM, Js1 said:

That will def be starting 5.  Higgs will be the 2 and Williams will be the 3.

There will be times on the floor that we are playing Aborowa/Holmes or Aborowa/Collier and Holmes/Collier.  It's still a lot of height and length.

Where will we miss Sedona the most this year is her length in a 2-3 zone.  But Karen plays zone about as much as Plonsky sucks dick, which is basically zero.

Still an incredibly talented roster. Every starter is a 5 star. 

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Still an incredibly talented roster. Every starter is a 5 star. 

There's still a lot of talent and depth.  Sedona was extra depth and talent.  Putting a year between her and Charli and basically treating her as the 2019 post recruit in between Collier and 2020 (Gusters, probably) is good for our overall outlook.

True. With Holmes, Collier, White, and Aborowa she was likely getting limited minutes. 

Barring any other injuries to our bigs this is probably a good thing for the overall outlook. We would have probably wasted her FR year with limited minutes. Aston isn't big on playing FR either so that would have played a role. 

Edited by texasstrong12

https://www.hookem.com/story/new-look-joyner-holmes-embracing-junior-year-texas/

“Having a full summer to work out is something I didn’t have in my first two years here,” she said. “It’s meant a lot to me to have this summer. I’ve shaved a few pounds. We’re all moving a little faster.”

Working with Texas strength and conditioning coach Zack Zillner, Holmes said she lost 13 pounds since the end of last season. She followed that by gaining eight pounds of muscle.

The most notable newcomer is Collier, ranked as the No. 2 high school prospect in the country last year by ESPN. White joked that Collier has adjusted quickly because she “threw a few elbows” in Wednesday’s practice.

Sug Sutton, who takes over for Brooke McCarty as the team’s starting point guard, has been the most vocal player in camp, Aston said. She will be joined in the backcourt by shooting guard Lashann Higgs, who vowed to become a leader during her senior year.

The most improved players in burnt orange are sophomores Destiny Littleton and Chasity Patterson. Aston said the progress they have shown this summer is “miraculous.”

Another newcomer who will make an impact is Danni Williams, who stunned onlookers when she made a 65-foot shot while warming up for practice.

Really glad to see Holmes slimmed down the fat and increased the muscle.  She'll be faster and better down low.

Like to see Collier get rough in there, just in practice.

Sug has big (but not literally) shoes to fill stepping in for Brooke.  I like that she's vocal.

Lashann - how much more of a leader can she be? That girl was grit, heart, soul and hustle as a junior.

Expecting big things from Destiny and Patterson.  Destiny looks like she lost some high school weight.  Ready to see those two drop buckets.

Edited by Js1

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully we end up playing Quinnipiac, Missouri and Duke. That would give us 3 opportunities to pick up good results. 

The rest of the non-conference schedule is somewhat soft but add those 3 games in with Miss State and Tennessee it shouldn't be terrible.  

Actually a decent draw for us. Possibly 3 quality teams that we should be favorites to beat. 

Edited by texasstrong12

• 3 weeks later...

Was just looking at the recruiting rankings for 19 and was surprised to see how many Texas players are committed to go out of state. Pretty much all but 1 Baylor commit and 3-4 other undeclared players aren't going in state. I know the two other people we are supposedly looking at are from Canada and Michigan. Could be a weak class in state which is good for a small class like ours with one commit In the bank.

You nailed it. 2019 is a weak class. We may only take 2 players bc 2020 is a really damn good in state class 

we may only end up with Celeste and Endiya Rogers barring a Rickea Jackson surprise. Redshirting Sedona bc of her injury is effectively making her a 2019 recruit to our staff. So no need to grab a big in 19 when we can grab one in 20

Also small class saves a ship for a grad transfer

Edited by Js1

https://texassports.com/news/2018/10/9/womens-basketball-well-represented-on-big-12-preseason-awards.aspx

Danni preseason newcomer of the year

Charli preseason co-freshman of the year - don't expect this to happen barring a major injury or she comes in AMAZING and Joyner fucks off again.  Patterson was the preseason freshman last year but Karen doesn't play them enough because she doesn't have to due to upperclass starters.

Higgs and Holmes are preseason All Big 12

White and Williams preseason HM

Some folks went to the potluck/scrimmage.  From what I can gather:

-Sug was a good floor general, so it won't be a huge downgrade going from Brooke to Sug at PG

-We will run. A lot.

-Joyner was in a boot.  Might be out until Thanksgiving.  Lots of early time for Collier

-Audrey Warren was the freshman standout

-Danni Williams is good. All around solid at everything we're asking her to do at the 3.