Houston Nostalgia Picture Thread

MaybeACoordinator

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

Man I just spent some time searching for pics of Games People Play and Malibu Grand Prix to no avail. 

I was looking for a pic of that water slide that used to be at 610 and 59 south.  There was a giant hill there once.  You'd walk up a bunch of steps with a foam mat and slide down the half pipe water slide into a pool.  This was early 80s and I was a kid.  I bet it was a lot smaller than I remember it being.  Could not find a picture.

Games People Play, holy shit.  I remember that place on 1960.  My dumbass brother and friends got arrested there after hours breaking in and turning the waterslide on.  The cops were there to meet them as they got to the bottom of the slide.  Some dumbasses ran for it but left their wallets in their clothes behind.  It wasn't hard to find them.

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

Games People Play, holy shit.  I remember that place on 1960.  My dumbass brother and friends got arrested there after hours breaking in and turning the waterslide on.  The cops were there to meet them as they got to the bottom of the slide.  Some dumbasses ran for it but left their wallets in their clothes behind.  It wasn't hard to find them.

Was that off of 59 and 1960, out by IAH?  If so, I remember it.

I miss Astroworld.  As trashy as it became, I always loved it regardless.  Would love to be able to take my kids.  Cheap and fun entertainment.

6 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Best summer job ever

On 4/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, Johnny Sack said:

I was looking for a pic of that water slide that used to be at 610 and 59 south.  There was a giant hill there once.  You'd walk up a bunch of steps with a foam mat and slide down the half pipe water slide into a pool.  This was early 80s and I was a kid.  I bet it was a lot smaller than I remember it being.  Could not find a picture.

That was ski hill. They had a t-bar that would take you to the top. The hill was covered with some plastic type material with stiff bristles standing straight up to reduce friction. They sprayed it down with some wet, slick stuff too. My parents took my sister and me there once. It’s was cool mostly for the novelty. Expensive. Didn’t last. 

I cant recall a water slide specifically. Maybe they built one later. 

Bernard

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

That was ski hill. They had a t-bar that would take you to the top. The hill was covered with some plastic type material with stiff bristles standing straight up to reduce friction. They sprayed it down with some wet, slick stuff too. My parents took my sister and me there once. It’s was cool mostly for the novelty. Expensive. Didn’t last. 

I cant recall a water slide specifically. Maybe they built one later. 

Bernard

They did. Early 80s.  I read about it being a ski hill and then later a water slide on a Houston architecture site.  I only remember it when it was a water slide. 

17 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

They did. Early 80s.  I read about it being a ski hill and then later a water slide on a Houston architecture site.  I only remember it when it was a water slide. 

It was also briefly an outdoor music venue. 

Edited to add : It was called Lone Star Amphitheater. 

Edited by DoobieWah

23 hours ago, Player said:

I had never seen the Lilliputian wolf slayer from Katy pic before.

charlesgrisbee.jpg

But the intersection of FM529 and HWY 6 (Copperfield) used to be called Wolf Corner.

Wolf  Corner is what I wanted to post but the pic you posted was only  what I could find.  There are better pics out there somewhere.   So, I gave up and went with Katy, Wee Man and the wolf. 

You posted a picture of the Aquarium... :( I miss Ruth.

Go to the 1:00 mark...

5DII_8482A.0.jpg

If only I could find a picture of the original Comedy Workshop.  Used to see T Sean Shannon, Charlie Shannon (was hilarious), Jeanine Garofalo... this was the late 80s and they were there on open mike night.

Charlie Shannon used to show up and just tear apart the audience.  It was a riot.

Edited by texasdago

On 4/7/2018 at 9:04 AM, Underdog said:

One of the great classic uniforms of the NFL, never made it to the Dome for an Oilers game, wished I had. 

I can't remember how many games I saw in the Dome.

Between the Astros, the Oilers, and the rodeo, I spent a lot of time in that building when I was a kid.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:36 AM, DoobieWah said:

It was also briefly an outdoor music venue. 

Edited to add : It was called Lone Star Amphitheater. 

I saw STP, and Ministry there in the early 90's. It was one of the best concerts I have ever been to.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I can't remember how many games I saw in the Dome.

Between the Astros, the Oilers, and the rodeo, I spent a lot of time in that building when I was a kid.

Same.  Attended probably 90% of the Oilers games between 1984 until our best team ever lost to Joe Montana in January of 1994.  I walked out of that building so dejected.  If any team we ever had might have been a legit Super Bowl contender, it was that team with that defense.  Never realized walking out of that building it would be my last Oilers game.  I was a senior in high school and had left home soon after.

I cannot count how many Astros games I attended there from the early 80s to 1999.  Saw Scott's no-hitter.  Saw Randy J dominate.  Watched my hero Nolan pitch a bunch.  

And the Rodeo.  Saw some great acts in the 80s and 90s.  George Jones, Alabama, Highwayman, Chris Ledoux, George Strait, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Clint Black, JimmY Buffet, John Conlee, Kenny Rogers, Ann Murray, Merle Haggard, Alan Jackson, Charley Pride, Don Williams, etc.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Same.  Attended probably 90% of the Oilers games between 1984 until our best team ever lost to Joe Montana in January of 1994.  I walked out of that building so dejected.  If any team we ever had might have been a legit Super Bowl contender, it was that team with that defense.  Never realized walking out of that building it would be my last Oilers game.  I was a senior in high school and had left home soon after.

I cannot count how many Astros games I attended there from the early 80s to 1999.  Saw Scott's no-hitter.  Saw Randy J dominate.  Watched my hero Nolan pitch a bunch.  

And the Rodeo.  Saw some great acts in the 80s and 90s.  George Jones, Alabama, Highwayman, Chris Ledoux, George Strait, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Clint Black, JimmY Buffet, John Conlee, Kenny Rogers, Ann Murray, Merle Haggard, Alan Jackson, Charley Pride, Don Williams, etc.

At one time I had season tickets to the Astros, Oilers, and Gamblers at the same time.  I felt like I lived in the Dome.

8 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I loved the sight lines in the dome for football.

We had a Star-Columbia box on the 50 on the Oiler side, next to the Scurlock Oil box (the Scurlock and Blanton families).  Fantastic views.  I saw some old pics from the Chronicle looking at the abandoned dome and suites:

20120403_astrodometour_mkp_17.jpg

That's what a "luxury" suite was back then.