Power Pop

smuggs

Ha, this was my official, "Dad is old but trying to be cool" moment, I used to love this song back when it was out but never knew the name, and I tried to sing the rhythm to my son and his friend to see if they knew it, and of course got the "oh-kaaay dad" look.  A few days later my son did finally figure it out and texted me the name.  

• 3 years later...

That song popped up on... i think the 80s alternative playlist on spotify and of course I dig it because it is rad. Reminds me a bit of the dBs, which I haven't read through the thread but I would think I would have posted them here. So I clicked through to figure out who this band was, only to find that they are responsible for that "tempted by the fruit of another" song that was an instant station change on GTA San Andreas. I haven't looked up what happened there at all but I can only speculate that either more than a decade passed between these two songs or the lamest most Michael McDonald ass motherfucker in the band fired all the cool people and continued to write and make records under their name. It's the dude with the hairdo in the middle of the video above isn't it.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

DougO, are you the guy from Dallas that used to have a music blog and posted these albums years ago?  May have you mixed up with someone else, was back on the Shag, great blog, got a lot of cool stuff off of there...

No, I wish I was that cool, but I never had a music blog. Not sure who that would be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 10:33 AM, Celery Man said:

That song popped up on... i think the 80s alternative playlist on spotify and of course I dig it because it is rad. Reminds me a bit of the dBs, which I haven't read through the thread but I would think I would have posted them here. So I clicked through to figure out who this band was, only to find that they are responsible for that "tempted by the fruit of another" song that was an instant station change on GTA San Andreas. I haven't looked up what happened there at all but I can only speculate that either more than a decade passed between these two songs or the lamest most Michael McDonald ass motherfucker in the band fired all the cool people and continued to write and make records under their name. It's the dude with the hairdo in the middle of the video above isn't it.

OK, I'm gonna make a couple of counter-arguments:

1.  you didn't know who the fuck SQUEEZE is?

2.  "Tempted" is absolutely, without a doubt, my #1 favorite pop tune of all time.

3.  I strongly suggest you look up the band Ace and Paul Carrack (the singer on "Tempted", save one line by Elvis Costello)

Please tell me I misunderstood your post.  Holy fuck.

I don't understand at all how Tempted is your favorite pop tune of all time. Explain to me how it is good.

What are the other songs I should recognize from Squeeze? I was born in 1985. I recognize "Tempted" from one of the Grand Theft Auto games. I had never heard the Pulling Mussels song before it popped up on Spotify the other day.

I will check out that band.

As flabbergasted as you are by my post is the degree to which I am flabbergasted that anyone could listen to "Tempted" and have any kind of strong emotional reaction.

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I don't understand at all how Tempted is your favorite pop tune of all time. Explain to me how it is good.l reaction.

It's not "good", it's perfect.  Melody, structure, lyrics.

What are the other songs I should recognize from Squeeze? I was born in 1985. I recognize "Tempted" from one of the Grand Theft Auto games. I had never heard the Pulling Mussels song before it popped up on Spotify the other day.

I will check out that band.

As flabbergasted as you are by my post is the degree to which I am flabbergasted that anyone could listen to "Tempted" and have any kind of strong emotiona

LOL whatever.  Some people don't like "Let It Be", too.

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Another:I'm a musical nimrod, but I like all three of those and several others better than Tempted, probably because to me it was overplayed.

"Tempted" is the odd song out for a couple of reasons:  (1) it was their biggest hit on the US rock charts and (2) it wasn't sung by the songwriters.  It still has their DNA all over it.

I heard for the first time or perhaps just never played Squeeze’s “Labeled With Love” off of Eastside Story. What a good country song by an exceptional pop band.

I have always liked these bands when it comes to pop.

Edited by dogbreath
Grammar
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 4/13/2023 at 12:33 PM, Celery Man said:

Fucking dipshit with a nine toed woman.

That song came up on my Spotify a while back and I keep going back to it. It’s a jam. I had forgotten about Ted Leo, I loved this song  20 years ago

Have you heard Ted's album with Aimee Mann?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Cheap Trick will always be the answer to "who's the best power pop band ever?" 

No big argument, but I'd consider The Cars, Big Star, and EC & The Attractions in the discussion.

And Teenage Fanclub, just because I loves me some Teenage Fanclub.