The Supremes

tx 3 putt

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

None of the lawyers here are actually discussing and dissecting the decision. A tweet here and tweet there.  Some of the expected hyperbolic nonsense. Sack only one that posted some of the relevant text from the decision in more than a few frames. I am sorry that your profession shows out so poorly on this board. 

Are you sure this Court's decisions warrant more than hyperbolic nonsense?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

You talking about Plessy?   

I refer to Texas’ SB 8.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Or some other bad precedent that was overruled?

Now you’re a doctor, too? How much tuition, how many tax dollars, have you spent with no ROI?

American Medical Association says limiting abortion access is 'violation of human rights'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/american-medical-association-limiting-abortion-access-violation-human-rights.amp

Edited by Willfully Horn
Claro
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

None of the lawyers here are actually discussing and dissecting the decision. A tweet here and tweet there.  Some of the expected hyperbolic nonsense. Sack only one that posted some of the relevant text from the decision in more than a few frames. I am sorry that your profession shows out so poorly on this board. 

the concurring opinion isn't really the decision. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Nope. The profession remains ahead of you. We realize that reasoning doesn’t mater when handing down decisions. The timing of when a spot opens is all that does.

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

No, it's on-brand for Alito.  He long ago crossed the rubicon to just being plain evil, and entirely results-oriented instead of consistently applying neutral law and logic.  He's the equivalent of an umpire who someone always finds a way to call balls and strikes in his team's favor, and against the other team, no matter where the pitch is actually located.  It's not about the pitch.  It's about which team it favors, that's it.  We're full-on retrograde.  It's only going to get worse.  Much worse.

Where are we with today's gem that most overlooked?  All cool to chip away at Fifth Amendment protections, remove one of the few remedies a criminal defendant might have (at both the Federal and State level), and set some slippery slopes on future Miranda challenges with fewer mechanisms to keep Law Enforcement in check.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/23/us/politics/supreme-court-miranda-lawsuits.html

The Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that police officers may not be sued under a federal civil rights law for failing to administer the familiar warning required by the court’s 1966 decision in Miranda v. Arizona. The vote was 6 to 3, with the justices dividing along ideological lines.

In a second case, the court ruled that a death row inmate in Georgia could invoke the same civil rights law in seeking to be executed by firing squad rather than lethal injection. The vote was 5 to 4, with Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh joining the court’s three liberal members to form a majority.

The case on Miranda warnings illustrated the contested status of the decision. Writing for the majority, Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. said the ruling had announced something less than a constitutional right.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/06/miranda-warnings-supreme-court-alito-kagan.html

By leaving Miranda on the books (for now), Vega still requires courts to suppress un-Mirandized statements during trial. As Kagan noted, though, sometimes “such a statement will not be suppressed. And sometimes, as a result, a defendant will be wrongly convicted and spend years in prison.” Eventually, the defendant may get his conviction reversed. But thanks to Thursday’s decision, he will have no remedy “for all the harm he has suffered.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Astros were playing the Yankees and Rockets had a great draft. I’m absolutely not going to waste twenty minutes tonight typing up an explanation you’re going to disregard without reading. 

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, softlynow said:

Nope. The profession remains ahead of you. We realize that reasoning doesn’t mater when handing down decisions. The timing of when a spot opens is all that does.

Must be a strange position to have your source of truth originating from nine non elected officials. 

30 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Must be a strange position to have your source of truth originating from nine non elected officials. 

a tribunal of nine unelected countermajoritarian oligarchs, when i'm feeling particularly snarky

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

a tribunal of nine unelected countermajoritarian oligarchs, when i'm feeling particularly snarky

All of whom have been confirmed by the Senate.  I just love to see "news" stories where they talk about SC Justices that were "appointed" by WJC/GWB/BHO/DJT.

• Fuck You 1

41 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I usually have to inform loony leftists on the realities of politics, but you really should know better than to confuse truth with power. I’m not sure why you failed to comprehend my first post. You feeling alright? 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Where are we with today's gem that most overlooked?  All cool to chip away at Fifth Amendment protections, remove one of the few remedies a criminal defendant might have (at both the Federal and State level), and set some slippery slopes on future Miranda challenges with fewer mechanisms to keep Law Enforcement in check.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/23/us/politics/supreme-court-miranda-lawsuits.html

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/06/miranda-warnings-supreme-court-alito-kagan.html

What in the fuck does Miranda have to do with someone deciding they would rather get shot than a lethal injection?

8 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

All of whom have been confirmed by the Senate.  I just love to see "news" stories where they talk about SC Justices that were "appointed" by WJC/GWB/BHO/DJT.

another panel of antidemocratic oligarchs. 

Imagine how Jan 6 goes down if Oath Keepers, instead of creating firearms caches just outside of DC, had no fear of bringing firearms to the insurrection.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/oath-keepers-stashed-weapons-hotel-potential-jan-violence/story?id=77048420

"In a court document filed Monday seeking the continued detention of Kenneth Harrelson, one of a dozen members of the Oath Keepers charged in a sweeping conspiracy case against the group, prosecutors cited newly discovered communications allegedly showing members discussing storing their weapons at a Comfort Inn in Arlington, Virginia, knowing that possessing such arms within Washington, D.C., would be illegal."

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

11 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:
Now you’re a doctor, too? How much tuition, how many tax dollars, have you spent with no ROI?

American Medical Association says limiting abortion access is 'violation of human rights'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/american-medical-association-limiting-abortion-access-violation-human-rights.amp

Ha holy shit, that Fox News link, you forgot to post the best part about that headline. I swear to God, Pravda ain't got nothing on Fox

image.thumb.png.5202431f7da37297144bfe4a8f5417cb.png

12 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

People hate on Thomas, but I think Alito is the worst justice.  Alito is just a worse, wannabe version of that fat fuck who died a few years ago.  Thomas is insane and pretty stupid but ideologically he's  one of the most unique and interesting of the justices.  For instance, this analogy test Thomas pulled out of his ass here.  The problem produced by the second amendment is that the US today has very little in common with the country that produced the Constitution.  This leads to things like Americans shooting each other and themselves at unheard of rates in the developed world.  How does Thomas handle this issue, by making it the crux of his bullshit madeup test!

Edited by Starfleet Command

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

People hate on Thomas, but I think Alito is the worst justice.  Alito is just a worse, wannabe version of that fat fuck who died a few years ago.  Thomas is insane and pretty stupid but ideologically he's  one of the most unique and interesting of the justices.  For instance, this analogy test Thomas pulled out of his ass here.  The problem produced by the second amendment is that the US today has very little in common with the country that produced the Constitution.  This leads to things like Americans shooting each other and themselves at unheard of rates in the developed world.  How does Thomas handle this issue, by making it the crux of his bullshit madeup test!

Alito is just an average Fox News Facebook commenter... with the power of a Supreme Court Justice.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

ALITO, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which THOMAS, GORSUCH, KAVANAUGH, and BARRETT, JJ., joined. THOMAS, J., and KAVANAUGH, J., filed concurring opinions. ROBERTS, C. J., filed an opinion concurring in the judgment. BREYER, SOTOMAYOR, and KAGAN, JJ., filed a dissenting opinion.

I don’t think Brisket is mad enough. Some of you guys care way too little about marginalized people because it doesn’t concern you. Ginni is going to try to create a really fucked up society that Margaret Atwood couldn’t conjure up. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

So it appears that it's basically the original draft opinion plus a little new stuff responding to the dissent. And includes a funny indirect dunk on Kavanaugh:

Alito clearly despises everyone he works with. Just the most ratfaced piece of shit imaginable. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

I don’t think Brisket is mad enough. Some of you guys care way too little about marginalized people because it doesn’t concern you. Ginni is going to try to create a really fucked up society that Margaret Atwood couldn’t conjure up. 

What the right isn’t really accounting for is the violent swing far left.  It’s coming.  Well, maybe they are accounting for it.  They’re just in the ‘get while the gettings good’ phase.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

So it appears that it's basically the original draft opinion plus a little new stuff responding to the dissent. And includes a funny indirect dunk on Kavanaugh:

Alito clearly despises everyone he works with. Just the most ratfaced piece of shit imaginable. 

This is the equivalent of liberals winning on Twitter and not at the voting booth. When are we going to stop thinking being clever is the solution. 

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

What the right isn’t really accounting for is the violent swing far left.  It’s coming.  Well, maybe they are accounting for it.  They’re just in the ‘get while the gettings good’ phase.  

They're hoping for violence. It would help them justify a brutal crackdown when they retake the White House.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1