The Supremes

tx 3 putt

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'm sure y'all covered this but: "Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton in his statement on the Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade announced the statewide closure of his agency’s offices Friday “in honor of the nearly 70 million unborn babies killed in the womb since 1973,” according to a release from the attorney general’s office."

• Rage+1 4

26 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I just can't wrap my mind around how you can be against abortion and contraception.  One prevents the other.  That's how it works.  That's it's entire selling point.  

Yeah, but it all comes together when you have a vast organization that sexually abuses children on a world-wide scale. 

At least that's how the Catholics explain it....

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Personally, I blame James Comey and RBG for dying at the wrong time.  

Point being, our system is so broken. 

Well, RBG could've stepped down earlier.  She was kinda selfish with that. Another example of the Dems being incompetent, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, Asithappens said:

Well, RBG could've stepped down earlier.  She was kinda selfish with that. Another example of the Dems being incompetent, imo. 

Uh huh.  Yeah.  That totally would have worked.  Did you miss the whole Merrick Garland thing?

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The court gets more protection when they're not even there than Congress gets when confirming a new Democratic President.

Oh, now they are ready? Must be nice to know they won’t have to deal with anyone who might beat them up.  

Just now, Keef said:

There was no urgency until McConnell broke the game when Scalia died.  

Yes, I'm aware of that. What I suggest is that there should've been, because the trajectory the Republican party was on was clear and their possibility of sufficient electoral success to pull off their goals was significant.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So, my peacenik, gun control wife just called me to suggest that we look into procuring ARs of our own, because she sees what’s coming.

This course is unsustainable. The center cannot hold - it has actually already collapsed. History tells us that this sort of dynamic ends in blood. And so it will. It is what they want, and when one side wants it, it happens.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Keef said:

There was no urgency until McConnell broke the game when Scalia died.  

She was 82 with pancreatic cancer (since 2009) in 2015...it was really just selfish not to retire.

Of course, I'm tired of old ass people running the country in general, so... 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yes, I'm aware of that. What I suggest is that there should've been, because the trajectory the Republican party was on was clear and their possibility of sufficient electoral success to pull off their goals was significant.

I don't disagree with the premise that the Republican gloves were off and the Democrats failed (and are continuing to fail) at addressing it.  That being said, I don't know how you can fault them for not anticipating that McConnell would refuse to hold a hearing, contrary to how every other supreme court justice nominee has been treated to my knowledge, with 1+ year left in Obama's presidency.

1 minute ago, Keef said:

I don't disagree with the premise that the Republican gloves were off and the Democrats failed (and are continuing to fail) at addressing it.  That being said, I don't know how you can fault them for not anticipating that McConnell would refuse to hold a hearing, contrary to how every other supreme court justice nominee has been treated to my knowledge, with 1+ year left in Obama's presidency.

it didn't help that the dems didn't really push the issue because they were cocky and assumed Hillary was going to win the election.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

She was 82 with pancreatic cancer (since 2009) in 2015...it was really just selfish not to retire.

Of course, I'm tired of old ass people running the country in general, so... 

I don't disagree with the premise that old people (including old people I like, like RBG) shouldn't get to pick and choose when they deem themselves ready to step down.  There's mandatory retirement ages in almost every major law firm for exactly this reason.

Edited by Keef

3 minutes ago, Keef said:

Mitch McConnell did nothing that wasn't in complete accordance with his character and every incentive pressuring his position in the Republican party. It wasn't predicted, but it was predictable.

Noah built the ark before the flood. Democratic leadership would've stood by watching and telling him that he didn't need to until there actually was a flood, and as the skies got darker and torrential rains began would've told him that actually it wasn't much rain and there was no reason to overreact.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, my peacenik, gun control wife just called me to suggest that we look into procuring ARs of our own, because she sees what’s coming.

This course is unsustainable. The center cannot hold - it has actually already collapsed. History tells us that this sort of dynamic ends in blood. And so it will. It is what they want, and when one side wants it, it happens.

My Republican mom texted me minutes after the decision was released saying "our country is doomed."

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Holy shit. This thread just jumped by 5 pages. The trolls must be getting fed hard. 

What can you say, human pain and suffering gets them super hard and they have to come spike the cruelty football when they get that W. You know, cuz they are amoral pieces of human detritus. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Keef said:

I don't disagree with the premise that old people (including old people I like, like RBG) shouldn't get to pick and choose when they deem themselves ready to step down.  There's mandatory retirement ages in almost every major law firm for exactly this reason.

This is why SCOTUS justices should not be given lifetime appointments. We need term limits there, just like we should have with the Senate and the House. It's much more important to impose term limits on SCOTUS, though, as there are only nine of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, hookemATL said:

What can you say, human pain and suffering gets them super hard and they have to come spike the cruelty football when they get that W. You know, cuz they are amoral pieces of human detritus. 

Super hard you say?

ca7db7c1981c380c3b3489a47be58154.gif

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Please share your recommendations.  Never owned a gun, or even thought about owning a gun, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be bringing a knife to a gun fight.  

1 minute ago, hookemATL said:

And everyone feels the need to respond instead of just ignoring them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Please share your recommendations.  Never owned a gun, or even thought about owning a gun, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be bringing a knife to a gun fight.  

I may start a thread on that. It’s important. This is how they want it. We’d be dumb not to prepare for their goal.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The people this hurts most are poor minorities in shitty SEC states where there was only like 1 or 2 clinics anyways. Those with the means will simply travel to another state for the procedure. That said, voter turnout is extremely weak in the low income minority demographic, and sadly not even this ruling will change that apathy.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And….. the NRA wins again.  They can get gun and anti gun people to buy weapons.  Yay.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

37 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The one silver lining of this is we’re going to see Clearance Thomas vote to annul his own marriage here in a few years after most of the SEC, Texas included, pass interracial marriage bans in 3, 2, 1…

That's a hell of a long game by ol' Clarence. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Don’t worry y’all. Susan Collins has issued a statement. 

Same as for Manchin - if she's not going to support abolishing the filibuster and packing the Court, she can ...

38896fe834b06a1c4e13f4ff268f48e8.jpg

Disingenuous cunt.

• Hook 'Em 6

And….. the NRA wins again.  They can get gun and anti gun people to buy weapons.  Yay.

They won a long time ago. It’s time to accept reality. This is an unsustainable failed state, rushing headlong into being a one-party oligarchic theocracy. Plan accordingly. Hope for something different…but plan for what’s coming. They think that they’re the only ones armed, and they intend to use it (see Oathkeepers, Proud Boys, etc, all functionally deputized by the regime).
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

They won a long time ago. It’s time to accept reality. This is an unsustainable failed state, rushing headlong into being a one-party oligarchic theocracy. Plan accordingly. Hope for something different…but plan for what’s coming. They think that they’re the only ones armed, and they intend to use it (see Oathkeepers, Proud Boys, etc, all functionally deputized by the regime).

You spend too much time in Texas.  This is not the case.  The population in blue states is still greater than the red states.  You are just surrounded by the Texags mentality and think that applies to the nation.  It does not.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

We're still run by a cult who takes their direction from an invisible friend in the sky. 

They say God now allows shrimp po’ boys and crawfish etouffee and Southern Baptist third marriages ‘cause Leviticus was changed, but the hate me some homos is still a thing.  

I can’t find it in my Red Rule Bible, but I’m assured that GOP Jesus approves. 

7 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

The people this hurts most are poor minorities in shitty SEC states where there was only like 1 or 2 clinics anyways. Those with the means will simply travel to another state for the procedure. That said, voter turnout is extremely weak in the low income minority demographic, and sadly not even this ruling will change that apathy.

How many clinics where a woman could get an abortion were open in Texas yesterday? It’s my understanding that a lot of them had already been shut down. 

15 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

100%. There are plenty of Republican women cheering on this ruling but they won’t hesitate to fly their daughters to California to get an abortion. They don’t want a mistake to ruin their daughters lives. 

and as you said, the women that face the biggest impact sadly belong to a group that has little say in politics. And I agree some of that lack of voice is self inflicted.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

You spend too much time in Texas.  This is not the case.  The population in blue states is still greater than the red states.  You are just surrounded by the Texags mentality and think that applies to the nation.  It does not.

Get out of your bubble, even in Ca. You don’t have to go far to find blobs of violent Trumpkins itching for a fight. It’s coming.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The economics of the decision are disastrous.

With the Republican gutting of the safety net that existed in 1971 - there are going to be a lot of hungry mouths to feed - if they get fed at all. 

Unwanted children create unfunded negative externalities.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1