The Supremes

tx 3 putt

22 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Gorsuch is going to end up finding in a few years that the Constitution actually requires states to adopt official state religions.

Justice! i look forward to seeing this guy on the field next year!

Opinion: Kaepernick and other kneeling football players deserve our respect  – Wayland Student Press

• Hook 'Em 2

Why does this dude have to pray at the 50 yard line? Is that the only place he gets reception? 

Went to East Texas schools. There was always a prayer at the football pep rally and then before baseball games the coach led us in the Lord's Prayer. I always felt obligated to join in due to the peer pressure. I guess it didn't hurt me, but always felt weird. I'd have a problem with my kid being coerced into doing it due to peer pressure if he didn't want to.

But I honestly don't get why sports are so tied with prayer. You're playing a game. It's weird to me that it's seen as a time to pray. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep.  "Look at me and how very Christian I am; really, I'm a good person...for real."  

/Then goes about life being as unChristian as humanly possible./ 

In our town, this including fucking the cheerleaders.  Happened three separate times while I was there.  

All good attendees at First Baptist. 

I can't wait until a Muslim kid marches out there with his prayer cloth to the fifty yard line.

The havoc this is going to create will be extraordinary.  The GOP has found it's ultimate position as purveyor of chaos.

• Hook 'Em 1

Probably bc it’s more about the performance of prayer than the intrinsic value of it

And good luck showing the real harm on these cases: Johnny Prays a Lot gets the starting reps. Alan Atheist doesn’t get playing time, and for some reason, is a “problem player” who has to run extra laps all the time. This is permission for religious tests for any number of activities. Including purely academic ones. Alan Atheist is going to be deemed a discipline problem for the exact same “cutting up in class” behavior as Johnny, who gets a free pass from the pious math teacher because he joins in the prayer before each exam.
This is not an unintended result, it is the primary intended result. In huge swaths of the country, there will be a de facto religious test for participation and success in school activities. If you live in East Texas and want your kid to have a chance to play sports and succeed in school, you should tell them to enthusiastically join in any and all prayers. Or, you can follow your conscience and constitutional right as to your free exercise of religion, and be punished by the state for it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

The Textualists!

Among the craziest of the crazy things about the last few days in SCOTUS history, its' the fact that they DON"T FUCKING UNDERSTAND HISTORY OR CONTEXT!

It's just history viewed through the lens of what they want the outcome today to be.  

Insanity.  Completely destabilizing.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

And good luck showing the real harm on these cases: Johnny Prays a Lot gets the starting reps. Alan Atheist doesn’t get playing time, and for some reason, is a “problem player” who has to run extra laps all the time. This is permission for religious tests for any number of activities. Including purely academic ones. Alan Atheist is going to be deemed a discipline problem for the exact same “cutting up in class” behavior as Johnny, who gets a free pass from the pious math teacher because he joins in the prayer before each exam.
This is not an unintended result, it is the primary intended result. In huge swaths of the country, there will be a de facto religious test for participation and success in school activities. If you live in East Texas and want your kid to have a chance to play sports and succeed in school, you should tell them to enthusiastically join in any and all prayers. Or, you can follow your conscience and constitutional right as to your free exercise of religion, and be punished by the state for it.

In practice, I don't buy this. For a handful of coaches, yeah, it might be a thing. But if Alan Atheist can hit .425 on high school pitching, he's not going to sit the bench. Likewise, Johnny Mendoza Line can pray all he wants, but he won't see the field.

I think it's more the ostracizing of kids who don't participate. It's singling themselves out. So Alan will play, but Coach will make snide comments and his teammates are going to try to get him to come "play volleyball at the lake with a bunch of us" that actually turns out to be volleyball followed by bible study. Not that I ever experience that stuff in high school...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Satanist temple about to get a major influx of supporters with the "prayer" being a middle finger and a fuck you to the Christian-fascists. 

You see though, that's not protected because historical practices and understandings required burning witches alive.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Our HS men's coaches were big on prayer.  They were also raging assholes with little to no redeeming qualities, unless you think grown married men fucking HS girls is a redeeming quality, because that happened multiple times.  To be fair, our women's basketball coach did too.  She wasn't an asshole, but she was really butch.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Our HS men's coaches were big on prayer.  They were also raging assholes with little to no redeeming qualities, unless you think grown married men fucking HS girls is a redeeming quality, because that happened multiple times.  To be fair, our women's basketball coach did too.  She wasn't an asshole, but she was really butch.

Back when America was great

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The picture on Drudge. Whoever was talking about "performance" above seems like they might be onto something. 

FWRBuOoWYAEGJSz?format=jpg&name=medium

What a fucking clown.  He might be overcompensating for actually being a trash human.

Edited by The Royal We
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

What a fucking clown.  He might be overcompensating for being actually being a trash human.

Matthew 6:5-6 

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

• Hook 'Em 9

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The picture on Drudge. Whoever was talking about "performance" above seems like they might be onto something. 

FWRBuOoWYAEGJSz?format=jpg&name=medium

Of course it is. Those types have been around awhile:

And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.”

Edit: I was too slow.

Edited by formermav43
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

In practice, I don't buy this. For a handful of coaches, yeah, it might be a thing. But if Alan Atheist can hit .425 on high school pitching, he's not going to sit the bench. Likewise, Johnny Mendoza Line can pray all he wants, but he won't see the field.

I think it's more the ostracizing of kids who don't participate. It's singling themselves out. So Alan will play, but Coach will make snide comments and his teammates are going to try to get him to come "play volleyball at the lake with a bunch of us" that actually turns out to be volleyball followed by bible study. Not that I ever experience that stuff in high school...

I mean....you're not wrong.

As most folks who grew up in Bible-Belt country have already seen -- in spite of what the law has been -- those who are part of the favored religion of school leadership will get favored treatment in almost all respects.  The Prayers will be the "good kids, from good families," and those who don't will be "troublemakers and discipline problems."  Their behavior doesn't have to be materially different...the difference will be that of outward piety.  That will be the driver.

4 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Matthew 6:5-6 

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

Yeah, put that one in the "American fundagelicals have literally nothing to do with the Gospels" file room with the rest of the notices.  It's getting rather full.  Looks a lot like this:

indy1.jpg

You know, I think this court is going to have a chilling effect on DOJ trying to do anything with Trump. At this point it is pretty clear that any case involving him would be appealed all the way up and that this court would side with him. Ain't no way three justices would recuse themselves just because of the little fact they were appointed by the man.

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

Honestly, I don't think it rises to the level of injury. Doesn't mean I think the coach should have (or still be) doing it, but I would not say I was injured by it. 

The slightest inconvenience or discomfort is enough of an injury in the eyes of the Supreme Court, if religion is involved. Like having to wear a mask while singing indoors as a common sense protective measure to slow the spread of a potentially deadly disease, that's such a grievous affront to personal liberty that the nine most powerful people in the country will take calls in the middle of the night and drive into the office.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As most folks who grew up in Bible-Belt country have already seen -- in spite of what the law has been -- those who are part of the favored religion of school leadership will get favored treatment in almost all respects.  The Prayers will be the "good kids, from good families," and those who don't will be "troublemakers and discipline problems."  Their behavior doesn't have to be materially different...the difference will be that of outward piety.  That will be the driver.

Our star QB was a year younger than me.  We never talked.  (I didn't play football.)  I never liked him, he was the classic big fish, small pond dumb jock.  Over time he has set himself up in the same small town as some sort of addiction counselor, which is hilarious, because he took more drugs than anyone.  A few years back I got into it with him over some hot-button social issue on Facebook and at one point he tried to family-shame me with "hey JJ, I'm really surprised to see you take that side of this argument, your (dead) mom was one of my favorite teachers and I highly doubt she'd agree with you".

My response, in so many words, shut him up pronto (and it was the God's honest truth):  "My mom would absolutely agree with me on this, and she hated your smug ass."  My mom was a rock star.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Our HS men's coaches were big on prayer.  They were also raging assholes with little to no redeeming qualities, unless you think grown married men fucking HS girls is a redeeming quality, because that happened multiple times. 

Given no 18th birthday pics, it has little or no redeeming qualities. 

Hey, if anyone wants to start a business idea, PM me. Huge opportunity here with the Supreme Court catering to the right-wing crowd. The blueprint is already laid out.

I'm talking flags, t-shirts, hats, everything. Flags with Samuel Alito's head on Rambo's body. "Neil Gorsuch, making the libs cry since 2017"  t-shirt. "Oh I'm sorry, does my rifle offend you? Take it up with SCOTUS."  

• Hook 'Em 2

In my high school sports days, we were required to pray. Admittedly I never saw anyone attempt to refuse but anyone in that environment knows that questioning the coach carried some risk.

As one of the non-religious kids, I basically has to learn the Lord’s Prayer as the coach would randomly call on someone to lead the team. This was pre-internet and wasn’t easy to learn in my house. I had to pay attention and quickly memorize it. I’m not even sure I ever paid attention to the meaning because it was only about getting through the moment.

I also believe there were a few asst coaches who could care less about the prayer but it was part of their gig.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In my high school sports days, we were required to pray. Admittedly I never saw anyone attempt to refuse but anyone in that environment knows that questioning the coach carried some risk.

As one of the non-religious kids, I basically has to learn the Lord’s Prayer as the coach would randomly call on someone to lead the team. This was pre-internet and wasn’t easy to learn in my house. I had to pay attention and quickly memorize it. I’m not even sure I ever paid attention to the meaning because it was only about getting through the moment.

I also believe there were a few asst coaches who could care less about the prayer but it was part of their gig.

Our father in heaven, hallowed by they name.
By kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread. Forgive those who trespass as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not to temptation, deliver us from sin. 

That's all I got. Granted, high school baseball was 20+ years ago. But I've been to church a handful of times in my life and the only time I heard/recited it was before baseball games. So it's still stuck with me.

Also, my coach was a former player for LSU when they won a national championship, so there's another strike. 

One more thing -- being in the top XXX of the class, we each had an assignment at the ceremony. Mine was to recite the prayer. I told them politely that I wasn't the right person for that. It was no big deal.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Why does this dude have to pray at the 50 yard line? Is that the only place he gets reception? 

Went to East Texas schools. There was always a prayer at the football pep rally and then before baseball games the coach led us in the Lord's Prayer. I always felt obligated to join in due to the peer pressure. I guess it didn't hurt me, but always felt weird. I'd have a problem with my kid being coerced into doing it due to peer pressure if he didn't want to.

yeah, isn't nice this guy wont be punished for his prayer? Do you think he will afford the same to his players who respectfully decline to participate in it?

or would those players be looked at as not "team players"?

Is it team building or a prayer? it can't be both right? It can't be required? a player cant be punished (lose playing time, not start, do extra laps) by not participating?

Edited by yoladu
**late to the thread.. looks like all this has been covered by people smarter than me.

11 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

At this rate, I think I may need to take Con Law again after this session is over. Can't imagine how professors even handle that class right now.

It’s about to be Con Law season and being able to sit in those classes and listen to the prof try to maintain control of the class might be worth the price of admission. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Looks like I'm speeding up my exit from this shithole country. Operation Ripcord is a go

Are you going to renounce your citizenship? That’s the only way you’re going to free yourself from the tentacles of the IRS. Honest question to those seriously considering. Dual citizenship is one thing - renouncing another level.

• Fuck You 3