The Supremes

tx 3 putt

Soft Bad/Hard Good is a big part of this country's problem.

Bingo.
Traits that are worshipped in 2020s America: “individualism” (read: selfishness, self-absorption, contempt and cruelty for everyone else (or at least everyone else who isn’t like you), being “tough”/heavily armed, doing whatever you want because freedom, making libs cry, demonstrating “strength” by inflicting pain on others (“he’s hurting the wrong people!”), petty vengefulness (see DeSantis and his actions re Disney), etc
Traits that are openly scorned: empathy, human decency, acting with regard for the fact that each of us is a member of a community, courtesy for others, selflessness, kindness. All of those are “pussy libtard” traits, and anyone exhibiting those traits should be made to suffer (make libs cry!)

When your primary social values are selfishness and hurting others, and we actively attack anyone who even hints at acting for the common good, that’s how a society commits suicide.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I honestly think you guys are blaming the wrong people. Let's start blaming the 100M people who just decide not to give a fuck enough to even vote. 

Agreed, but how do we get them to care?  If they aren't voting at this point, I don't see any way to convince them they should.

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I believe he’s speaking about the 101m who decided not to vote for either party. I’m quite certain me not voting is a win for you. 

I'm talking about everyone not voting. This is happening because Americans are letting it happen not because a bunch of Americans want it to happen. Democracy is going away because no one is fucking voting not because some party is doing anything illegal. The reason it's able to be legal is because of the complicit society accepting this when they can do something about it. 

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm talking about everyone not voting. This is happening because Americans are letting it happen not because a bunch of Americans want it to happen. Democracy is going away because no one is fucking voting not because some party is doing anything illegal. The reason it's able to be legal is because of the complicit society accepting this when they can do something about it. 

Oh well then just more bullshit from @Captainant  I vote when I’m around, he’s referring to my recent vow to abstain from voting R until they fix their social issues.  

I say we start a PAC called GROOP, which stands for get religion out of politics. 

This is mostly happening because these cristo-fascists want to dictate everyone else's life,  and are too stupid to realize that the politicians they're voting for are just pandering for power

Edited by SKJ
Fucking speaallimgs
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 3:13 PM, Sawbonz said:

North of red river to Canada, west of Mississippi River, to just west of the Rockies needs to be one state 

Yup.  WyMonDakota would still have less than 1/10th the population of California.  No reason why those 4 states (or more) shouldn't be one.

Edited by Gap03

On 7/3/2022 at 2:24 PM, Sawbonz said:

Fuck secession. Is there any mechanism for kicking states out? Make middle America a territory again and have them start over. Minimum population for re-entry

Every time I hear about anyone talking about secession, I'm reminded of this article in the Dallas Morning News on Jan 26, 2021:

Secession talk has always been irresponsible. Now it's dangerous. 

Texans usually ignore this idea. Now we have to meet it head-on.

Secession is like a bad penny. It keeps turning up every few years, promoted by the most angry fringe of the Texas Republican Party.

Well, here we go again. Fredericksburg Republican Rep. Kyle Biedermann has announced plans to file a bill in Austin calling for a referendum on Texas’ statehood.

Mostly, Texans just ignore this nonsense, as they should. But given the unrest we’ve seen recently, it may be time to point out what a colossally bad idea this is.

First, it’s illegal. That much has been proven by Texas itself. In 1869, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a case called Texas vs. White that the U.S. Constitution provides no legal means of exit for member states. States aren’t members of the union until they change their mind. They are part of a bond the court called “indestructible” and the Pledge of Allegiance calls “indivisible.”

In 2006, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia reaffirmed that bond when he wrote, “If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede.”

Biedermann has been promoting his silly idea and himself, of course, at every opportunity, appearing on Newsmax, Glenn Beck and a Fox affiliate in Austin. He has gathered almost 7,000 signatures on a petition. He uses Britain’s recent departure from the European Union as an example.

But Texas is not Britain, and the USA is not the EU. The European Union is a loose association of nations that joined together with preexisting protocols for a member to exit. Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union states that “Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.” The U.S. Constitution contains no such off-ramps.

Even if we ignore the law and adopt this unpatriotic plan, there are other problems here. Secession would be massively expensive. If it were to become a nation, Texas would have to establish its own military, its own citizenship and immigration laws, not to mention new taxes. If Biedermann’s fancy were to become reality, it would almost certainly mean a Texas income tax.

We agree with Plano Rep. Jeff Leach who wrote on Twitter: “Based on what you’ve said the bill does, it seems like the most anti-American bill I’ve seen in my 4+ terms in the Texas House. It’s a disgrace to the Lone Star State. The very definition of seditious. A true embarrassment.”

Talk of secession is irresponsible at any time. But just weeks after insurrectionists stormed the Capitol in Washington, the timing couldn’t be worse.

If Biedermann doesn’t want to be an American any more, that’s his right. If he wants to move Texas toward an income tax, he’s free to promote that agenda, and even convince a few thousand people to join him. If he’s more comfortable in a place like California where endless referendums have crippled progress, Southwest Airlines is booking flights. But none of those are good reasons for Texas to leave the United States.

Edited by Brandywine
  • Like 3

Fuck secession. Is there any mechanism for kicking states out? Make middle America a territory again and have them start over. Minimum population for re-entry

The Supreme Court could do it. I mean, those states didn't exist at the time of the Constitution's drafting, and apparently that's how we decide what we're keeping and discarding these days.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

There's actually a touch of controversy as to whether Ohio is a state.

There's more of a legitimate controversy about West Virginia.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Supreme Court could do it. I mean, those states didn't exist at the time of the Constitution's drafting, and apparently that's how we decide what we're keeping and discarding these days.

As someone who lives on the east coast let’s do it. The country would be solidly blue. And we could pass voting rights legislation right away and end the extreme gerrymandering in NC and VA and the GQP would be purged except for maybe SC. The rest of y’all can have Gilead

On 7/5/2022 at 11:09 AM, Brandywine said:

Every time I hear about anyone talking about secession, I'm reminded of this article in the Dallas Morning News on Jan 26, 2021:

Secession talk has always been irresponsible. Now it's dangerous. 

Texans usually ignore this idea. Now we have to meet it head-on.

Secession is like a bad penny. It keeps turning up every few years, promoted by the most angry fringe of the Texas Republican Party.

Well, here we go again. Fredericksburg Republican Rep. Kyle Biedermann has announced plans to file a bill in Austin calling for a referendum on Texas’ statehood.

Mostly, Texans just ignore this nonsense, as they should. But given the unrest we’ve seen recently, it may be time to point out what a colossally bad idea this is.

First, it’s illegal. That much has been proven by Texas itself. In 1869, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a case called Texas vs. White that the U.S. Constitution provides no legal means of exit for member states. States aren’t members of the union until they change their mind. They are part of a bond the court called “indestructible” and the Pledge of Allegiance calls “indivisible.”

In 2006, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia reaffirmed that bond when he wrote, “If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede.”

Biedermann has been promoting his silly idea and himself, of course, at every opportunity, appearing on Newsmax, Glenn Beck and a Fox affiliate in Austin. He has gathered almost 7,000 signatures on a petition. He uses Britain’s recent departure from the European Union as an example.

But Texas is not Britain, and the USA is not the EU. The European Union is a loose association of nations that joined together with preexisting protocols for a member to exit. Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union states that “Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.” The U.S. Constitution contains no such off-ramps.

Even if we ignore the law and adopt this unpatriotic plan, there are other problems here. Secession would be massively expensive. If it were to become a nation, Texas would have to establish its own military, its own citizenship and immigration laws, not to mention new taxes. If Biedermann’s fancy were to become reality, it would almost certainly mean a Texas income tax.

We agree with Plano Rep. Jeff Leach who wrote on Twitter: “Based on what you’ve said the bill does, it seems like the most anti-American bill I’ve seen in my 4+ terms in the Texas House. It’s a disgrace to the Lone Star State. The very definition of seditious. A true embarrassment.”

Talk of secession is irresponsible at any time. But just weeks after insurrectionists stormed the Capitol in Washington, the timing couldn’t be worse.

If Biedermann doesn’t want to be an American any more, that’s his right. If he wants to move Texas toward an income tax, he’s free to promote that agenda, and even convince a few thousand people to join him. If he’s more comfortable in a place like California where endless referendums have crippled progress, Southwest Airlines is booking flights. But none of those are good reasons for Texas to leave the United States.

Well, the dude runs an ACE Hardware in Fredericksburg. He isn't really the thinking type.

That area between Fredericksburg and Johnson City is a trip. One Saturday I had an amazing lamb burger and sweet potato fries for lunch followed by a viewing of local art work in Johnson City. Stopped for some wine tasting off 290 and met a nice elderly gay couple. Then afterwards saw a large Trump MAGA caravan take over downtown Fredericksburg.

Fucking mood killer. Those people suck. MAGA thrives on human misery.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, chainsaw said:

They consider themselves above the law

4 hours ago, DixonHur said:

That's because they are

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wait, like LITERALLY prayed?  That's like the state having sex with the church instead of being separate.

Look, just because the state is fucking the church doesn’t mean it’s not separate. Stripper-banging orangutan outside should have told you. 

4 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

It’s been getting worse since at least 1990. Too many people and mediocre wineries.

mediocre?

that shit is bottom of the fucking barrel.  the fucking worst garbage imaginable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So before we go off on a shitty Fburg wine tangent, this court is basically going to let us become a theocracy it seems like.  Right?  

At some point the executive branch will just start ignoring the absurd rulings. Which will be fine until a Republican is back in the WH and the precedent is there to ignore SCOTUS 

35 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

It’s been getting worse since at least 1990. Too many people and mediocre wineries.

I thought the atmosphere at Signor is pretty nice. The wine, meh.  That’s all I got and will leave the rest of the opinions to the pros. 

50 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So before we go off on a shitty Fburg wine tangent, this court is basically going to let us become a theocracy it seems like.  Right?  

From a Right Wing Watch article last week. If the last several months of craziness had not occurred, I might have thought the article hyperbolic and I was being my usual pessimistic ledge dwelling self. Yea, not anymore.

"On the same day that the Trump-enhanced far right-wing majority on the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, the Heritage Foundation announced that it is leading The 2025 Presidential Transition Project, a coalition of Christian nationalist, pro-voter suppression, anti-LGBTQ-equality, anti-government, Big Lie-promoting, and Trump-cheerleading groups to “position the movement to take the reins of government” after what they expect will be a Republican victory in the 2024 presidential election. The project is being headed by former Trump administration official Paul Dans."

From the Heritage Foundation press release:

"The 2025 Presidential Transition Project is focused on two key fronts—preparing the next administration with conservative policy recommendations and the properly vetted and trained personnel needed to defeat the administrative state, implement those policies, and take back America.”

"Notable among the groups represented on the project’s advisory board are religious-right legal giant Alliance Defending Freedom, whose “generational win” goals include banning abortion, reversing marriage equality, and further dismantling church-state separation; the American Legislative Exchange Council, which partners right-wing lawmakers with corporate funders; and the increasingly extremist Claremont Institute, home of Trumpist coup-promoting lawyer John Eastman."

Groups on the Advisory Board (spoilered for length but note that TPPF is listed)

Spoiler
  • Alliance Defending Freedom
  • America First Legal
  • American Accountability Foundation
  • American Center for Law and Justice
  • American Legislative Exchange Council
  • American Moment
  • American Principles Project
  • Center for Renewing America
  • Claremont Institute
  • Competitive Enterprise Institute
  • Concerned Women for America
  • Conservative Partnership Institute
  • Defense of Freedom Institute
  • Family Research Council
  • First Liberty Institute
  • Foundation for Government Accountability
  • FreedomWorks
  • Leadership Institute
  • Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America
  • Texas Public Policy Foundation
  • Young America’s Foundation

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

the American Legislative Exchange Council, which partners right-wing lawmakers with corporate funders; and the increasingly extremist Claremont Institute, home of Trumpist coup-promoting lawyer John Eastman."

Oh ALEC!  The worst thing to happen to this country in decades.  Cool cool.  Nothing to see here.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2