The Supremes

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Pete is over-educated and I can spot from miles away that he was basically bred for politics. Harvard guy joins the military? That's some resume-padding bullshit. He's good on TV but I need bold progressive policies not more neoliberalism.

Jesus Christ.

Your pristine wokeness has pickled your brain.

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

Then he should change his VP and just step down a year in. Joe Biden sucks worse than he did when he ran in 2020 and that's saying something, because he was barely palatable then. His approval ratings are absolute trash. He's a disaster. 

Biden has done what we elected him for: don’t be Donald trump.  That was the bar and he’s passed. it’s most likely time to move on in the next election.

but with that being said, we’re also a political lifetime away from the 2024 race. Approval ratings cans swing 30 points in this time period.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

lol

Yes let’s give the press an actual “DEMS IN DISARRAY” story and have a chaotic and brutal two year primary while Trump waltzes to the nomination.

And I thought women were supposed to be too irrational and emotional and hysterical about politics.

This is like arguing with Chuck Todd.

Trump isn’t waltzing to the nomination. It’s going to be a bloodbath and desantis is likely to come out with the nomination if the old fat orange fuck actually runs. Only the dems could fuck up that scenario 

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Let's all remember that if the Rs win the House in 2022, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference who runs.

They don't have the votes to remove anyone they try to impeach, including Biden. It absolutely matters who runs in 2024 because a dead fish candidate will sink everything downballot. And if the GOP takes both the House and Senate we'll need someone sane running the federal government and vetoing a nationwide abortion ban.

They don't have the votes to remove anyone they try to impeach, including Biden. It absolutely matters who runs in 2024 because a dead fish candidate will sink everything downballot. And if the GOP takes both the House and Senate we'll need someone sane running the federal government and vetoing a nationwide abortion ban.

You misunderstand me.  The House run by Rs will not certify the actual electoral slates and the R state legislatures will send their own slates that will "elect" the R candidate.  And then we get Civil War 2.  Can't wait.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You misunderstand me.  The House run by Rs will not certify the actual electoral slates and the R state legislatures will send their own slates that will "elect" the R candidate.  And then we get Civil War 2.  Can't wait.

This only matters if the D actually wins 2024 electorally (D will definitely win popular vote unless something unpredictable happens). I don't think most republicans in the House have the stomach for a civil war. They'll revert to the "shit their pants" mode from 1/6 when the riot was unanimously condemned besides the people who we later found out were active co-conspirators that asked for pardons.

In an attempt to keep the peace, they will punt the issue to the courts. The lower courts will require the legitimate elector votes to be counted. I don't think the Supreme Court would be inclined to light that powder keg. Remember the same judges (minus KBJ) didn't let Texas sue the other states over supposed voter fraud in a year where we actually had a bunch of exceptions due to covid.

By 2024, most voting will be required to be in-person and those "fraud" arguments are going to be less available. There's no way in hell John "I can't believe I had to preside over a fucking impeachment trial" Roberts would vote to allow the US House to pick and choose which electors it wants to count. The three Trump judges I think would have already intervened to keep Trump in office back in 2020 if they were the type to be willing to let the House run roughshod over the will of the voters (even when that "will" is expressed through the bullshit racist undemocratic electoral college).

I don't think they would have the balls to fire the first shot in a "Civil War 2" if the issue gets punted to it. They need something as fuzzy as Florida 2000 in order to tip the scales of a presidential election. In the end, I think the electors will be counted.

This only matters if the D actually wins 2024 electorally (D will definitely win popular vote unless something unpredictable happens). I don't think most republicans in the House have the stomach for a civil war. They'll revert to the "shit their pants" mode from 1/6 when the riot was unanimously condemned besides the people who we later found out were active co-conspirators that asked for pardons.

In an attempt to keep the peace, they will punt the issue to the courts. The lower courts will require the legitimate elector votes to be counted. I don't think the Supreme Court would be inclined to light that powder keg. Remember the same judges (minus KBJ) didn't let Texas sue the other states over supposed voter fraud in a year where we actually had a bunch of exceptions due to covid.

By 2024, most voting will be required to be in-person and those "fraud" arguments are going to be less available. There's no way in hell John "I can't believe I had to preside over a fucking impeachment trial" Roberts would vote to allow the US House to pick and choose which electors it wants to count. The three Trump judges I think would have already intervened to keep Trump in office back in 2020 if they were the type to be willing to let the House run roughshod over the will of the voters (even when that "will" is expressed through the bullshit racist undemocratic electoral college).

I don't think they would have the balls to fire the first shot in a "Civil War 2" if the issue gets punted to it. They need something as fuzzy as Florida 2000 in order to tip the scales of a presidential election. In the end, I think the electors will be counted.

Well that's a hell of a prediction.  Everything they are showing us with their behavior is the opposite, but eh, let's roll the dice!  I'm sure THIS time they will succumb to reason and country over party.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Then he should change his VP and just step down a year in. Joe Biden sucks worse than he did when he ran in 2020 and that's saying something, because he was barely palatable then. His approval ratings are absolute trash. He's a disaster. 

Don’t you have a website to fix?

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Biden has done what we elected him for: don’t be Donald trump.  That was the bar and he’s passed. it’s most likely time to move on in the next election.

but with that being said, we’re also a political lifetime away from the 2024 race. Approval ratings cans swing 30 points in this time period.

Who would you rather have win the 2024 election? Biden or Trump? If your answer is Trump then you suck and are opposed to American constitutional democracy because Trump is opposed to that. Yes, it’s frustrating that the Democrats don’t do a better job. I’ve heard it said that the Republicans implement bad ideas efficiently while the Democrats implement good ideas inefficiently. I think that’s a pretty good analysis. I’ve said before that the Republicans are corrupt while the Democrats are inept. But at least the Democrats aren’t trying to shred the Constitution.

Not every President can be a Lincoln or a Roosevelt (take your pick). None of them are perfect and none of them ever will be. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. We always have to weigh our options and select the best choice available and not cry about the fact that there’s no savior on the ballot. You make the best play with the cards you’re dealt.

Everyone else in the free world would choose Biden. All of the other dictators would choose Trump. It’s not hard to figure out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Your aggy is showing. Because you are literally a moron about politics.

If COVID doesn’t happen, Trump is president still. He still almost won with approval ratings around 40%. An elected incumbent hasn’t even lost but a handful (LESS THAN, bc the number is 3) of times in the past 50 years.  It’s the most powerful thing in American politics.  

We‘ve never been more polarized either. There ain’t no Reagan-esque 1980 blowout victory against an incumbent coming. 2024 will probably be decided by 3 states and less than 100k votes no matter who runs. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Joe is a shitty speaker, but other than that it’s not clear to me what he could have done differently so far. I feel like a good chunk of his detractors on the left aren’t adequately accepting that much of their desires can’t be met regardless of who POTUS is and he gets punished in the polls as a result.

The “DO SOMETHING” brigade that wants Biden to be a dictator and do things he has no power to do / fall for misinformation about his role in things like SCOTUS decisions / forget that Supreme Leader Manchin and Sinema keep blocking him 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Joe is a shitty speaker, but other than that it’s not clear to me what he could have done differently so far. I feel like a good chunk of his detractors on the left aren’t adequately accepting that much of their desires can’t be met regardless of who POTUS is and he gets punished in the polls as a result.

The number of his detractors on the left are wildly exaggerated. Most of us remember from whence we’ve come.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 years ago we were in lockdowns hoping and praying for COVID vaccines with 14% unemployment.

Just 6 months later with three vaccines available, most of the south decides to go California granola mom and not get vaccinated.

6 months after that low wage workers who were quick to get the vaccine found themselves getting money hand over fist for their time, with power shifting from management to workers.

6 months ago through today anyone with a pulse can get well paying jobs. The internet economists of the world have no clue how to handle inflation because they haven’t seen a real balance of power exists between workers and owners in their adult lifetime. Our crises in America is no longer widespread death or our livelihood, just 50 dollars.

Thank you Joseph. Here’s to two more years before you decide to call it quits cause that’s what incumbent Presidents do.

1AA69608-3665-4610-91C7-7E9527AB97FE.jpeg

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

The “DO SOMETHING” brigade that wants Biden to be a dictator and do things he has no power to do / fall for misinformation about his role in things like SCOTUS decisions / forget that Supreme Leader Manchin and Sinema keep blocking him 

That's why all of us on the left flank were so pissed when Cal Cunningham couldn't keep his pants zipped up in North Carolina. Schumer could turn the screws on one of Manchin and Sinema, but as we've seen, it's impossible to pressure both.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

I mean, 2 years is still a political lifetime. Obama took a historic first term midterm shellacking and won re-election pretty easily. Same with Clinton. And Trump almost did! 

This.

Let's calm our tits. a LOT of time left on the clock and a LOT of ball game left to be played. 

And as we've seen the last 5 years or so, the speed of politics, business, news, financial markets--heck everything-- is so rapid that things can go guard rail to guard rail, from really high to really low (and back again), in an extremely short time period. We could be looking back in 2023 at a recovering GDP, low gas prices, and growing 401ks again and have Biden in the high 40's in approval ratings for all we know.

There will always be people on the left who are mad because he can't go as far as they want him to and there will always be people on the right who will irrationally blame Biden for it being too hot to go outside in Texas in July. Ignore the noise and win.

Edited by Vegas64

20 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

That's why all of us on the left flank were so pissed when Cal Cunningham couldn't keep his pants zipped up in North Carolina. Schumer could turn the screws on one of Manchin and Sinema, but as we've seen, it's impossible to pressure both.

Don't forget all those fucking idiots in Maine who still think Susan Collins is an independent/moderate Republican.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, Lurch said:

He has also been delivering our most important foreign policy victories since, uh, I guess the fall of the Soviet Union if not World War II. 

• Like 1

GHWB went from an approval high in the 80s (due to a war victory) in the first 2 years to down in the upper 20s, with an overall average of 61. And obviously lost to Clinton. Anything can happen.

If there is one thing we know, the American voter can change their mind quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, chainsaw said:

What planet are you posting from where you think any of this shit matters?

38 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

GHWB went from an approval high in the 80s (due to a war victory) in the first 2 years to down in the upper 20s, with an overall average of 61. And obviously lost to Clinton. Anything can happen.

If there is one thing we know, the American voter can change their mind quickly.

Yep.  Obama's approval rating when he lost the House - 44/48.  By Election Day - 52/45

Bill's approval when the 1994 Revolution happened - 46/46.  By Election Day - 58/35

Trump's approval when the Dems retook the House - 38/56.  By Election Day - 43/55 (AND ALMOST WON)

2 years is the longest time in politics. 

59 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

And his son noticed that if his dad had kept the Gulf War going through the election then he would’ve won so he made damn sure he had a successful Iraq war going on when he was up for re-election. 

15 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Cross posting from the concerts thread:

I don’t know what the point is there. I’m not personally a fan. And you’re posting a video that is almost 1 hr and 24 min long? I’m not going to watch that. Also, if that’s their whole show then they’re not really doing well by their fans.

And it seems like their fans deserve better because it looks like a lot of them are smart enough to turn their phones sideways when they shoot video.

8830CD71-792B-4FE3-90B4-03DA267523CC.thumb.png.bee3e3849916f57f712f2140f14c3a3f.png

On 7/10/2022 at 6:02 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Let's all remember that if the Rs win the House in 2022, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference who runs.

5% of the next 30 years the Dems will have Congress and the WH (with the SCOTUS as the Reps brake on Dem action). 45% of the time Reps will have Congress and the WH  (with SCOTUS as their backstop) and 50% of the time there will be gridlock in one form or fashion.  our best hope is to swing the gridlock to a higher percentage.  that's our princess leia only hope.

21 hours ago, kevwun said:

It won't because Manchin and Sinema will never vote for it.

filibuster is as American as the Republicans stealing a SCOTUS Nominee, meaning the Republicans will take that sacrosanct filibuster and shove it up our asses the next time they have the WH and both houses of Congress.  Tell me again why it's more important than voting rights, the court, the equality act, and climate change?

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, troph said:

5% of the next 30 years the Dems will have Congress and the WH (with the SCOTUS as the Reps brake on Dem action). 45% of the time Reps will have Congress and the WH  (with SCOTUS as their backstop) and 50% of the time there will be gridlock in one form or fashion.  our best hope is to swing the gridlock to a higher percentage.  that's our princess leia only hope.

Of the NEXT 30 years?  What makes you think this?  I expect Rs to have all of it 100% of the time.  That's how they've fixed it.  Of course I also think that 2025 is going to be the most tumultuous year since the Civil War.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Of the NEXT 30 years?  What makes you think this?  I expect Rs to have all of it 100% of the time.  That's how they've fixed it.  Of course I also think that 2025 is going to be the most tumultuous year since the Civil War.

I responded to someone who said if they take the house next term it's over.  well technically gridlock the next 2 years is something. and I think if I'm betting on the next 30, I don't think the Republicans have the WH for 30 straight so at least that alone brings some gridlock.  The important point is I don't think the Dems see a sweep of the WH and both houses of Congress much if ever after this 2 year stint.

• Hook 'Em 1

I responded to someone who said if they take the house next term it's over.  well technically gridlock the next 2 years is something. and I think if I'm betting on the next 30, I don't think the Republicans have the WH for 30 straight so at least that alone brings some gridlock.  The important point is I don't think the Dems see a sweep of the WH and both houses of Congress much if ever after this 2 year stint.

There aren’t gonna be elections during those 30 years, at least not as we understand them. Christofascist authoritarians out front shoulda told ya.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

If the Reps control both houses going into the 24 elections, we're done as a democracy. If (when) they play Calvin ball w/ the 24 election (w/ full support of SCOTUS) we'll be a fascist state.  Hence, The Ledge.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1