The Supremes

tx 3 putt

Behind the Bastards is doing a four part series on Thomas, the first two episodes have been all this background and history prior to becoming a judge. Really would recommend the listen, dude has had an insane and awful life through no fault of his own. He just unfortunately wants to pass that trauma along

Behind the Bastards https://open.spotify.com/episode/4IdXMBM0JncdUDGY1ipzu7

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Thomas is a piece of shit. The reasons why don’t matter 

10000%. But having some insight as to why he's such a misogynistic and hateful person is interesting I think. Don't get me wrong, BtB ain't pulling any punches lol. But Thomas was the first person in his family line since his great grandmother was emancipated to not abandon his children. He was ostracisized and excluded from the black community as a child borne out of wedlock, and was raised by a family (his own grandfather) that didn't want him, and turned his sister away because she wasn't a boy. 

I strongly recommend it to anyone who's wondering "just what the fuck is clarences deal, man?"

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

10000%. But having some insight as to why he's such a misogynistic and hateful person is interesting I think. Don't get me wrong, BtB ain't pulling any punches lol. But Thomas was the first person in his family line since his great grandmother was emancipated to not abandon his children. He was ostracisized and excluded from the black community as a child borne out of wedlock, and was raised by a family (his own grandfather) that didn't want him, and turned his sister away because she wasn't a boy. 

I strongly recommend it to anyone who's wondering "just what the fuck is clarences deal, man?"

His fucking deal is bootstrap theory. 

And pulling up the ladder behind him

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SKJ said:

His fucking deal is bootstrap theory. 

And pulling up the ladder behind him

Ahyuuuuuup. Dude was born into destitute poverty and gained access to opportunity when his small business owner grandpa adopted him and gave him a middle class life. Thomas was the beneficiary of affirmative action and resents the program for making him feel like he had help and it wasn't all bootstraps. 

He also famously refused to work on any "black issues" once he had real power. He's a real piece of shit

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Ahyuuuuuup. Dude was born into destitute poverty and gained access to opportunity when his small business owner grandpa adopted him and gave him a middle class life. Thomas was the beneficiary of affirmative action and resents the program for making him feel like he had help and it wasn't all bootstraps. 

He also famously refused to work on any "black issues" once he had real power. He's a real piece of shit

Like slorch

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I read the same article and listened to the same podcast not too long ago. Thomas has perverted some of the elements of black nationalism that he got from his time with the Black Panthers (yeah, his story there is pretty interesting). He basically starts from the same place that black nationalist/conservatives such as a Malcom X and Marcus Garvey started from, with a fervent distrust of government, and to some extent white people, but he warps into some weird belief that in order for black achievement to be fully fleshed out, society has to not only not coddle blacks, but return it to as close to its racist origins as possible. Believing that black achievement in this particular environment will forge some sort of steelier resolve within the black community by having to overcome it. He's a fucking lunatic. 

Here's the podcast referenced above: The discussion on Thomas comes in the 2nd half around the 23 minute mark. The author of the New Yorker article is interviewed.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/locked-and-loaded/id73330715?i=1000568482676

Imagine if women took the Thomas view.  

“Hey ladies, we have only achieved 85% of our equality goals over the last 80yrs and now make up the majority of incoming college classes at many select universities  so this is all obviously a failure.  What we need to so is go back to women’s status at the time of the nation’s founding and let each individual woman work their way up through those challenges.  Only then will will achieve true, respected equality!”

19 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Well, they fucked around, and now they get to find out what it's like to be one of those doctors at Planned Parenthood.  Good luck sleeping at night, you lying Christofascist pieces of shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I feel the same way about Thomas as I feel about serial killers who are the product of an abusive childhood.  It sucks, I'm sorry it happened to you, but I damn sure don't want you passing that abuse on.

Thomas got through the nets.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I feel the same way about Thomas as I feel about serial killers who are the product of an abusive childhood.  It sucks, I'm sorry it happened to you, but I damn sure don't want you passing that abuse on.

Thomas got through the nets.

There are thousands of people that go through horrible experiences growing up and don’t turn out to be shitty people that inflict suffering upon others in retribution. Fuck these people. I feel zero sympathy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of related to the Supremes, but Michael Hall (one of my favorite journalists) wrote another great piece in Texas Monthly, this one on the Fifth Circuit, which has essentially become the bellhop for the U.S. Supreme Court.  It's the court that served up Dobbs, and when the Supremes overturn gay marriage, you can bet it will be served on a platter by the Fifth Circuit.

Much of the article is about how cuntish the Fifth Circuit has become, focusing on four judges with Texas roots, one of whom I've known over the years, Don Willett.  I always thought he was an unqualified blowhard who was gifted a judgeship over better candidates because he gargled the balls of G.W. Bush and Greg Abbott, a policy lawyer who never had meaningful experience on the trial or appellate level.  Willett's opinions on the Texas Supreme Court were usually written like a kid who wants to show everyone why he thought he was the smartest kid in class.  His cohorts on the Fifth Circuit have a similar writing style, going out of their way to author opinions that read like op-ed political pieces in a way that's unnecessary to deciding the actual case, and with bitchslapping snark attacks against their colleagues who dare disagree with their overreaching.  Conservative philosophy and judicial activism is one thing.  Flippantly being an asshole about it is another.  That's what our Fifth Circuit has become.  

In my most recent visit to the Fifth Circuit in July, I again felt the majesty of walking in the building named after John Minor Wisdom, a conservative judge who in the 1960s swam against the tide of Southern racism with landmark desegregation and other civil rights opinions.  But I also had a keen sense of how that majesty had been tainted by a wave of conservative dipshits who are openly pissing on the rule of law.

The Rogue Court That Paved the Way for Roe’s Demise

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sort of related to the Supremes, but Michael Hall (one of my favorite journalists) wrote another great piece in Texas Monthly, this one on the Fifth Circuit, which has essentially become the bellhop for the U.S. Supreme Court.  It's the court that served up Dobbs, and when the Supremes overturn gay marriage, you can bet it will be served on a platter by the Fifth Circuit.

Much of the article is about how cuntish the Fifth Circuit has become, focusing on four judges with Texas roots, one of whom I've known over the years, Don Willett.  I always thought he was an unqualified blowhard who was gifted a judgeship over better candidates because he gargled the balls of G.W. Bush and Greg Abbott, a policy lawyer who never had meaningful experience on the trial or appellate level.  Willett's opinions on the Texas Supreme Court were usually written like a kid who wants to show everyone why he thought he was the smartest kid in class.  His cohorts on the Fifth Circuit have a similar writing style, going out of their way to author opinions that read like op-ed political pieces in a way that's unnecessary to deciding the actual case, and with bitchslapping snark attacks against their colleagues who dare disagree with their overreaching.  Conservative philosophy and judicial activism is one thing.  Flippantly being an asshole about it is another.  That's what our Fifth Circuit has become.  

In my most recent visit to the Fifth Circuit in July, I again felt the majesty of walking in the building named after John Minor Wisdom, a conservative judge who in the 1960s swam against the tide of Southern racism with landmark desegregation and other civil rights opinions.  But I also had a keen sense of how that majesty had been tainted by a wave of conservative dipshits who are openly pissing on the rule of law.

The Rogue Court That Paved the Way for Roe’s Demise

What would happen if you told these shitstains to their faces to go fuck themselves? Maybe a night in jail?

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

What would happen if you told these shitstains to their faces to go fuck themselves? Maybe a night in jail?

Seems like I would have a good First Amendment defense.  But James Ho would author a 50-page opinion about why the First Amendment doesn't protect citizens who say mean things about conservatives. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Seems like I would have a good First Amendment defense.  But James Ho would author a 50-page opinion about why the First Amendment doesn't protect citizens who say mean things about conservatives. 

Yeah but then what

21 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don't know.  Maybe he decides to give it a shot and he fucks himself.

What I'm saying is that these people don't deserve the respect that usually comes with these positions. I have no problem if they are mercilessly mocked, bullied, and disrespected. Probably won't ever happen because of how chickenshit most lawyers are, but it would be a good start.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Imagine being so racist that this SCOTUS rules against you.

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/20/supreme-court-blocks-georgia-law-harms-black-voters

Well this sentence is fucking insane.

The ruling was a rare example of the conservative Supreme Court siding with voters over state officials

Just now, chainsaw said:

Yeah, because they have class solidarity with the zealots who want to destroy America over three martini lunches.

More like they might appear before them and they know how petty judges can be, especially these assholes, so they don’t want to openly call them out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

More like they might appear before them and they know how petty judges can be, especially these assholes, so they don’t want to openly call them out.

That's how they get the respect they don't deserve. It would be cool if Dark Brandon dug into their shadier dealings. I know there were some big red flags about Kavanaugh's debts from gambling. From the article, these guys all ran in the same circles in Texas politics in the late 90s. There's bound to be skeletons in those closets.

All they need to do is dig a bit deeper.

19 hours ago, South Austin said:

From the article you posted:

“Ho played directly to the right-wing crowd when he wrote a 2021 opinion defending police officers who had used a Taser to shock a man drenched in gasoline, thereby setting him on fire: ‘As judges, we apply our written Constitution, not a woke Constitution.’”

What a douchebag. 

• Rage+1 2

On 8/20/2022 at 10:56 AM, South Austin said:

I know Mike pretty well, as a former neighbor and also through music, as I recorded him many times over the years.  He's not only whip smart, but he's a UT Law grad.  I don't think he ever practiced, though, and may not have even taken the bar exam.

Willett's opinions on the Texas Supreme Court were usually written like a kid who wants to show everyone why he thought he was the smartest kid in class. 

He'd probably fit in well around here, although I imagine he'd have a hard time edging out our #1 contender who's already in the clubhouse .

Edited by jimmyjazz
gramer
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I know Mike pretty well, as a former neighbor and through music, as I recorded him many times.  He's not only whip smart, but he's a UT Law grad.  I don't think he ever practiced, though, and may not have even taken the bar exam.

You’ve mentioned that before. I’m a big fan of him. He gave a talk at my church several years on criminal justice and capital punishment in Texas. I was the fanboy who raised my hand, not really for a question, but to tell him how awesome I thought he was.

Edit: Maybe I didn’t know he was a Texas Law grad. This article really shows a good understanding of the Fifth Circuit as an institution.

Edited by South Austin

The be honest, Trump's tilt of the US Supreme Court, to a court no longer representing the majority of Americans was quite simply Putin's greatest victory.  Instead of his corrupt influence campaign simply helping get Trump elected to the presidency,  the effects of his efforts will be felt in the most divisive way possible for years to come.  

In 50 years Trump's election will widely be viewed as part of the most effective foreign influence campaign ever undertaken.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

They are scared. Possibly with good reason. At least before the midterms. But I just don’t think they have the stomach to make it happen anyway. 

They won't be able to legislate until they pack all the courts.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

It’ll be better worded and scotus will rubber stamp version 2.0

The sooner Thomas can be replaced, the better. 

And it will work its way through the entire court system in one month.  Something that might actually benefit the country, pffffft try about 15 years.

• 2 weeks later...