The Supremes

tx 3 putt

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I guess I'm failing to understand why 2 or more justices can't be impeached, and replaced and as part of that impeachment the court revisits these votes and basically says yeah we were fucked by criminals into doing this and just undo it.

That means admitting the supreme court is invalid, and triggering a constitutional crisis that imperils the very foundation of America's Liberal Democracy. Plus the small detail of convincing the Senate to impeach justices that they've been fighting for decades to secure.

What I'm saying is: you're in fantasy land of you think any of what you said is viable. We are off the fucking rails. We have been for fucking years. 

Oh, and when the government is burned down and replaced, it's probably going to be representative of who has political power. So it's going to look way more fascist than it does now, presuming we burn ourselves down

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I could not agree more.  "The will of the people" is as bad or worse than sticking to the intentions of the founding fathers, which was (my words) a fair and just republic.  "Tyranny of the majority" means something.  Now we're just at "tyranny".

7d32b54e6e77cf3dadf8c64dcc1d5497.jpg

• Haha 1

That means admitting the supreme court is invalid, and triggering a constitutional crisis that imperils the very foundation of America's Liberal Democracy. Plus the small detail of convincing the Senate to impeach justices that they've been fighting for decades to secure.
What I'm saying is: you're in fantasy land of you think any of what you said is viable. We are off the fucking rails. We have been for fucking years. 
Oh, and when the government is burned down and replaced, it's probably going to be representative of who has political power. So it's going to look way more fascist than it does now, presuming we burn ourselves down

That’s why they want to kill it. To install a fascist authoritarian regime, which the “new right” OPENLY advocate for, you must first get the existing Republic out of the way.

They’re too far along that road to stop them now. They’re going to kill the Republic. What we should be fighting for is what will replace it. If you are a member of an “out group” who plans on remaining here, you should arm yourself and your family. Use their own plan - freely available ARs to arm the brown shirts - against them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's much bigger than the bolded, because, if a court is to be intellectually honest, it must sometimes rule in a way that is NOT consistent with the current "will of the people."  That's a truth.  If public sentiment is so strongly against a particular outcome, the court should be thoughtful and wary of issuing a contrary outcome but ultimately, if the law so requires, that is what it must do.

What's worse here is that this court is utterly detached from that most important guidepost -- what the law so requires.  Today's decision discards well over a century of established law and practices.  It is, again, pure Calvinball.

The court is supposed to follow the law and apply precedent.  If it just does what it wants because that's what the majority wants, that is Calvinball.  If it just does what it wants contrary to what the majority wants, that's Republic-killing Calvinball.

Correct.  Pure, Republic-killing Calvinball.

Totally agree. I was more referring to the overall will of the people that hasn't existed in this country in a long time. The government does not represent what the majority of the people want or believe in. The Senate does not represent the country as a whole due to disproportionate representation of rural states, House districts across the country are gerrymandered all to he'll and we've had multiple Presidents lose the popular vote and still win the election. The ultimate result is now a Supreme Court that does not reflect the country as a whole. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

Totally agree. I was more referring to the overall will of the people that hasn't existed in this country in a long time. The government does not represent what the majority of the people want or believe in. The Senate does not represent the country as a whole due to disproportionate representation of rural states, House districts across the country are gerrymandered all to he'll and we've had multiple Presidents lose the popular vote and still win the election. The ultimate result is now a Supreme Court that does not reflect the country as a whole. 

Their response will be that the country, SCOTUS and the presidency represent the "voting public" as a whole and they are not wrong.

The youth vote and the minority vote still lags so much behind the dinosaurs.   Either show the fuck up once every 2 years to vote or accept the consequences - you're outnumbered if you don't show up.  Older, whiter people LOVE to vote.  

If you don't show up, things won't get better.  And since they don't, we're going backwards and its much easier to whine on the internet than to go spend time voting. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

How hard is it going to be to reverse the damage done in the summer of 2022, if things go the way of the people in these midterms and in 2024. Is it a decade+ or does shit start moving pretty fast? 

We are unlikely to see it fully corrected in our lifetimes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

A teacher dividing kids in a class - labeling her white ones as privileged, white supremacists, oppressors is a fabrication conjured out of thin air; one I nonetheless choose to believe because I have an unfathomably low IQ and it fits in with my world view, which itself is simply a regurgitation of Breitbart, Daily Stormer, and of above all, TexAgs.

FIFY.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How hard is it going to be to reverse the damage done in the summer of 2022, if things go the way of the people in these midterms and in 2024. Is it a decade+ or does shit start moving pretty fast? 

Reverse? Son, we’re just hitting the on ramp.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Triggering?  Umm, hate to break it to you, but we've been enduring a slow-moving constitutional crisis ever since McConnell's shenanigans around Garland, which has been increasing in pace and intensity ever since the Orange One was sworn in.  I think we're now getting past the "simmering of the frog" stage, and people will start realizing shortly that we are indeed getting fucking boiled at this point.  At that point, nobody is going to give a shit about acknowledging the invalidity of the USSC. 

Regardless, there's no way in hell that that 2/3 of the Senate votes to impeach any SC justice.  We're stuck with most of these fuckers for another 3 decades.  Given what they've done in 1  year, I'm with Brisket.  Shit is going to get dark, and then it's going to get violent.  Buckle up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Their response will be that the country, SCOTUS and the presidency represent the "voting public" as a whole and they are not wrong.

The youth vote and the minority vote still lags so much behind the dinosaurs.   Either show the fuck up once twice every 2 years to vote or accept the consequences - you're outnumbered if you don't show up.  Older, whiter people LOVE to vote.  

If you don't show up, things won't get better.  And since they don't, we're going backwards and its much easier to whine on the internet than to go spend time voting. 

need to vote in the primaries too.  and if you live in a state with odd year elections it might be twice a year, every year. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, elfenix said:

need to vote in the primaries too.  and if you live in a state with odd year elections it might be twice a year, every year. 

Vote in every election. But at a minimum, show up for state/midterms/president. 

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

My issue is with categorizing white kids kids sitting in a class today or their parents as being oppressors and propagating white supremacy by solely looking at their skin color and not by their actions. Is there a legacy that exists to this day of institutions that have been warped by racism - yes. However the existence of that does not mean whites as a class today are active proponents of white supremacy.

A teacher dividing kids in a class - labeling her white ones as privileged, white supremacists, oppressors is a problem. Dismissing the history of achievements that this country has - denigrating the good of this country as not worthy of pride because some of it was achieved by “dead white men” is something I have problem with.

None of this is happening. You have no evidence it’s happening. Why are you making shit up?

Just now, DixonHur said:

I hope they have candidates ready to go.  Need to have someone confirmed by November.

Um....

Judge Jackson has already been confirmed.  She will take over for him for the new term.  He's just announcing he is done once the final decisions are done for this term at noon tomorrow and Jackson will be sworn in

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Um....

Judge Jackson has already been confirmed.  She will take over for him for the new term.  He's just announcing he is done once the final decisions are done for this term at noon tomorrow and Jackson will be sworn in

Shit, I forgot all about her.  Oops.

Just now, Js1 said:

Um....

Right, it's not like it's a bombshell or something, but it is still worth acknowledging and mentioning.

3 hours ago, royiv said:

I thought you posted yesterday that you were going to stop posting on this board, but since you’re still here can you please provide some reference on where this is happening? I haven’t seen you offer any proof of this claim. I have a lot of friends with kids and a good friend that is an elementary school teacher and none of them have ever said that this is a thing. 

It happened in a well known private school in Houston 

• Fuck You 5

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I was out of the country for 3 years and just got back recently.  I purposely avoided US news while I was away.

Your mental and physical health is probably much better than those of us who have been living it while you were gone.

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

It happened in a well known private school in Houston 

Please provide proof. You keep giving vague answers. Until you can prove it, it didn't happen. And, let's presume it did happen, you're talking about a "well known private school" which is a place that parents voluntarily pay to send their children based on a curriculum that they want their children to be taught.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

That was a good move.  

If RBG did this, and Garland had his day in the Senate, we wouldn't be here right now. 

Gotta hand it to Breyer - he did it on his own terms, but still with plenty of time for Biden to get his replacement through with plenty of time.   There was a lot of pressure for him to retire as soon as Biden was sworn in but he just waited a year and we got what we needed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That was a good move.  

If RBG did this, and Garland had his day in the Senate, we wouldn't be here right now. 

The two oldest justices are Thomas (74) and Alito (72). It's possible we won't see another new one for 10 years. I dunno, maybe one of them has an underlying condition that ends his turn sooner. 

Just now, bolverk said:

The two oldest justices are Thomas (74) and Alito (72). It's possible we won't see another new one for 10 years. I dunno, maybe one of them has an underlying condition that ends his turn sooner. 

Thomas' underlying condition is called his fucking nutjob of a wife. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

They also have to die/retire during a Dem presidency.

Gotta hand it to Breyer - he did it on his own terms, but still with plenty of time for Biden to get his replacement through with plenty of time.   There was a lot of pressure for him to retire as soon as Biden was sworn in but he just waited a year and we got what we needed. 

He had his last word. He knew he would be shouting at clouds after tfg’s appointments. Now he can spend his remaining years doing what he wants hopefully.

I have no doubt there are scattered instances of very badly done teaching regarding slavery and racism and the ongoing and continuing stain it leaves on this country. Much of the reason for that is because we don't talk about slavery and racism and the ongoing and continuing stain it leaves on this country

But L O fucking L at using an instance at a private school as a basis for the fear mongering done by shit bird Rufo turning people against public school. Jesus you're a terrible fucking troll, icono.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, royiv said:

Please provide proof. You keep giving vague answers. Until you can prove it, it didn't happen. And, let's presume it did happen, you're talking about a "well known private school" which is a place that parents voluntarily pay to send their children based on a curriculum that they want their children to be taught.

He showed his hand.  He has nothing.  A vague reference to a "well known private school in Houston" is . . . well, as you implied, it's a private school, and not subject to the same level of curriculum control to which public schools must conform.

Let's be very clear:  the howling about CRT has ALL been about public schools, and "tax money", etc.  Iconomore just laid it bare for us, he is a troll, with no good intent, and he should be shamed and negged into oblivion.  

For fuck's sake.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm just telling you--if you think what the Court has done thus far is a disaster, wait until tomorrow's decision in the EPA case.

Can someone elaborate in practical terms on why it's a bigger disaster?

15 hours ago, Pancho said:

None of that is happening. 

Why is teaching Black students about their history and how it played a role in the birthing of America a bad thing?  Why don't you and other radical right wingers like flatty don't want Black people to learn their history? 

Why don't you want White people to learn this history?

Good question.