The Supremes

tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Uh oh, Fatty's got his jimmies rustled again. 

Nope. I think this was one of the dumbest stunts the Rs have pulled in my lifetime.  Makes me sick to my stomach. 

But when you find a post containing that much irony, it absolutely must be acknowledged. 

10 hours ago, Satchel said:

I’m not at all convinced out groups are set on revenge. I think most just want to be left alone to pursue happiness.

Oh, I know that.  And you know that.  But scared white male ruling class doesn't know that.  They are convinced that everyone else will be as pointlessly cruel as they are -- it's projection, and low human nature.  That was the point I was getting at.

Meanwhile, no matter how low they go, we'll still have plenty of folks supporting them because "muh taxes and 401k!", purposefully and ridiculously ignoring or diminishing an overall approach of abject cruelty and infliction of suffering, pain, and domination for the sake of a show of who's the boss.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Nope. I think this was one of the dumbest stunts the Rs have pulled in my lifetime.  Makes me sick to my stomach. 

But when you find a post containing that much irony, it absolutely must be acknowledged. 

Actually, there is no irony given the history that you are probably unaware of.  Then again, there are a lot of things you are unaware of.  

So, if this stunt by the Rs makes you sick, you still going to vote for them?  

10 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Actually, there is no irony given the history that you are probably unaware of.  Then again, there are a lot of things you are unaware of.  

So, if this stunt by the Rs makes you sick, you still going to vote for them?  

You’ve spoken to the history I assume you’re talking about on this site. I don’t align with Rs in RvW.  Not your job but note I’ve not opined on any of the abortion threads, other than maybe it’s an unfortunate situation.  

Not sure. I will likely abstain for voting in this cycle.  

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You’ve spoken to the history I assume you’re talking about on this site. I don’t align with Rs in RvW.  Not your job but note I’ve not opined on any of the abortion threads, other than maybe it’s an unfortunate situation.  

Not sure. I will likely abstain for voting in this cycle.  

I have noted your lack of posting in this thread.  It is also nice to know you are not anti-woman.  The support is nice.  Abstaining is acceptable if you cannot bring yourself to vote blue.  I'll take it. 

See, we can all find some common ground.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Given the choice to vote against christofascism or abstain, you choose to abstain. That is a strong signal to me that you're ok with what the right is doing generally, you're just too socially embarrassed to raise your hand in support right now. Only because it's unpopular right now.

But you'll keep on voting to separate children from their parents at the border, give billionaires a trillion in tax cuts, to ban books from schools and libraries, and to cut away at voting rights.

Just be fucking honest about what you are and what you support.

You can take it however you'd like.  I largely feel about the left the way you feel about the right.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Given the choice to vote against christofascism or abstain, you choose to abstain. That is a strong signal to me that you're ok with what the right is doing generally, you're just too socially embarrassed to raise your hand in support right now. Only because it's unpopular right now.

But you'll keep on voting to separate children from their parents at the border, give billionaires a trillion in tax cuts, to ban books from schools and libraries, and to cut away at voting rights.

Just be fucking honest about what you are and what you support.

Eh, I know my parents will never vote blue, but if I can convince them to abstain (my mom is there, working on my dad), then I consider that a win.  Baby steps.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You can take it however you'd like.  I largely feel about the left the way you feel about the right.  

And this is where you go off the rails. The problem is that the left in the US is a very vocal minority, think Bernie Sanders and the Squad.  The "right" is now the entire GQP.  They are not equally dangerous especially since one actually tried to overthrow the government.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have noted your lack of posting in this thread.  It is also nice to know you are not anti-woman.  The support is nice.  Abstaining is acceptable if you cannot bring yourself to vote blue.  I'll take it. 

I have three daughters, a wife, a gyp lab, a female cat, and have never been very strong in a religious sense.  Me and the fish are holding down the male end of the household.  I understand (some) of the woman's plight on the issue.  I wish it could be separated politically. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And this is where you go off the rails. The problem is that the left in the US is a very vocal minority, think Bernie Sanders and the Squad.  The "right" is now the entire GQP.  They are not equally dangerous especially since one actually tried to overthrow the government.

I disagree, but that's fine with me.  I think most of the names we all recognize are either in absolute positions of power, or lean a bit too much either way.  There's a fuckload of senators and congress critters no one really knows.  I believe that's a good thing. 

Just now, fattyflattie said:

There's a fuckload of senators and congress critters no one really knows.  I believe that's a good thing. 

And none of them with an (R) next to their name can win a primary without bending their knee to the Orange God, the Big Lie, and tacit support/excusing an attempt to overthrow our government.  The GQP hasn't just gone off the rails, in its entirety -- it has flown off the rails, over the cliff, and into outer fucking space.  There are no moderate Republicans -- they literally kick them out of the party now.  Not metaphorically, LITERALLY.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I have three daughters, a wife, a gyp lab, a female cat, and have never been very strong in a religious sense.  Me and the fish are holding down the male end of the household.  I understand (some) of the woman's plight on the issue.  I wish it could be separated politically. 

Thing is, the issue only became politicized after the right lost the moral high ground after the civil rights movement. The southern baptist convention and GOP used to hold a pro-choice stance until the southern strategy was used to motivate and weaponize christians to the ballot box.

It's political because the right made it so in their never ending quest to control women and minorities and "make America great again" by going back to before those groups had affirmed and protected rights

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

It's political because the right made it so in their never ending quest to control women and minorities and "make America great again" by going back to before those groups had affirmed and protected rights

I appreciate the history lesson but that doesn't change my statement.  

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I appreciate the history lesson but that doesn't change my statement.  

I guess what I'm saying is: if you want it to be separated politically, you're going to have to do more than just abstian from voting for fascists and actually take some action against it. Call your reps, donate to some groups, actually do something to serve your wife and daughters right to bodily autonomy and privacy.

Otherwise it's just lazy wishcasting and "aw shucks"ing our descent into fascism and their descent into mere chattel.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Narrator:  He ain't abstaining.

• Hook 'Em 3

I think the best way to understand how the GOP has completely destroyed the integrity of the Supreme Court, is that if the Republicans take back the Senate and a conservative Justice dies?  They will wait up to two years, maybe even more before they would consider a non-Republican for the seat.  

THAT is why the court is broken. The Republicans rigged the process. Not once, but twice!  Using the exact opposite reasoning in each of the abuses of the process.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

16 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Thing is, the issue only became politicized after the right lost the moral high ground after the civil rights movement. The southern baptist convention and GOP used to hold a pro-choice stance until the southern strategy was used to motivate and weaponize christians to the ballot box.

I actually read something about this recently.  It used to be a cause of the Catholics, who largely voted for Democrats.  Hell, the SBC supported Roe.  It became an issue for Southern evangelicals with desegregation of schools and neighborhoods.  In other words, the white evangelicals became pro-lifers because they are racist.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

FYI, the Women's March is going to be rolling this Saturday.

https://www.womensmarch.com/

I am in France (of course I am), so I donated $100.  

Here is the page for all the May 14 events.

https://www.womensmarch.com/initiatives/show-up-to-protect-roe-and-abortion-rights

NYC

We will gather at 12pm at Cadman Plaza, march across the Brooklyn Bridge, and then land at Foley Square for a "welcome Village" from 3-6pm.

Austin

Houston has two events. 

Houston - March of Mahogany and Bans Off - Both are in the same location, so looks like they are happening concurrently.

Dallas

San Antonio

There are a lot of events all over the US.  If you cannot make it, donate!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Do you believe the left is working against the interests of the republic? If so, how?

Do you support the obstruction of investigations into Jan. 6?

What is your opinion of the integrity of American elections?

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

FYI, the Women's March is going to be rolling this Saturday.

https://www.womensmarch.com/

I am in France (of course I am), so I donated $100.  

Here is the page for all the May 14 events.

https://www.womensmarch.com/initiatives/show-up-to-protect-roe-and-abortion-rights

NYC

We will gather at 12pm at Cadman Plaza, march across the Brooklyn Bridge, and then land at Foley Square for a "welcome Village" from 3-6pm.

Austin

Houston has two events. 

Houston - March of Mahogany and Bans Off - Both are in the same location, so looks like they are happening concurrently.

Dallas

San Antonio

There are a lot of events all over the US.  If you cannot make it, donate!

Thanks for posting this.  I may go to the NYC one.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

2015 Poe It Up:  "Look, if you think a joke of a reality TV show host is going to win the Republican nomination, I just don't think it's very healthy."

2016 Poe It Up: "I mean, sure he won the nomination and presidency, but if you think McConnell, Graham, Cruz, and others aren't going to keep him in check, you're just being fanatical!  Trump will fall in line and isn't going to take over the whole party."

2020 Poe It Up: "Trump may be rough around the edges, but he'd never get away with extorting and leveraging foreign aid to Zelensky in exchange for election interference.  You're just overreacting!"

Also 2020 Poe it Up:  "If Trump loses a free and fair election, he'll accept defeat and there will be a peaceful transfer of power as there always is.  Nothing to be alarmed about, lefties!"

A more perfect encapsulation of the fundamental lying character of GQP supporters hasn't been written.  This is it.  And they will keep it up to the grave.

• Like 2

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

hopefully theirs and not ours

Look around you.  We're all in the same boat.  And half of our fellow passengers are gleefully punching holes in the hull and going on about how awesome it is that they are "owning" the rest of us....as we are taking on massive amounts of water and headed for the sea floor.  It's the dumbest goddamn thing I have ever seen, yet it somehow gets dumber multiple times every fucking day.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Most primary challengers are further down the hole of fuckery, unfortunately.  

Fatty - make sure you take a look at the various candidates as individuals especially in the state races. For example, assuming Collier ends up being the D candidate for Lt Gov, he may be an acceptable D. The Rs have earned being painted with a broad brush over the last 10 years; however, the current version of the Democratic Party has to have a bigger tent.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Fatty - make sure you take a look at the various candidates as individuals especially in the state races. For example, assuming Collier ends up being the D candidate for Lt Gov, he may be an acceptable D. The Rs have earned being painted with a broad brush over the last 10 years; however, the current version of the Democratic Party has to have a bigger tent.

Meaning what, exactly?

42 minutes ago, Tom said:

2015 Poe It Up:  "Look, if you think a joke of a reality TV show host is going to win the Republican nomination, I just don't think it's very healthy."

2016 Poe It Up: "I mean, sure he won the nomination and presidency, but if you think McConnell, Graham, Cruz, and others aren't going to keep him in check, you're just being fanatical!  Trump will fall in line and isn't going to take over the whole party."

2020 Poe It Up: "Trump may be rough around the edges, but he'd never get away with extorting and leveraging foreign aid to Zelensky in exchange for election interference.  You're just overreacting!"

Also 2020 Poe it Up:  "If Trump loses a free and fair election, he'll accept defeat and there will be a peaceful transfer of power as there always is.  Nothing to be alarmed about, lefties!"

Not sure why, but I guess I just don't trust Republicans when they say, "Sure, some people in our party are nuts and are suggesting crazy shit, but cooler heads will always prevail."

The Rage+1 rep has never been more appropriate.

4 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

As of today, the Democratic Party includes AOC and Joe Manchin. That’s a pretty big difference in views on his about every issue.

I feel like I have to agree with DD here. Outside of Manchin and Sinema, they’re going vote with their peers (as their constituents expect them too). 

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That seems to be a pretty big tent.

Sorry - I now see my typo in the original post. I didn’t mean to state the Ds need a bigger tent today; rather I meant they have a bigger tent as compared to the Rs today. My apologies for not proofreading.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Collier seems to be a good guy. I happily voted for him in 2018.  

• Hook 'Em 1

For the pro choice people on this thread, is there any point during pregnancy where you think the state has the right to prohibit abortions not otherwise necessary to save the mother from death or serious risk of injury or do you support no restrictions up until birth?

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

1.  If it is to save the mother from risk of serious injury or death (which you do qualify in your question, so that is fair), then IMO there is no restriction.

2. If at any point there is an indication that the baby will have significant developmental challenges or birth defects, then no restriction should be placed.  

3.  If at any point in time, it is obvious the pregnancy will not result in a live birth, then no restriction (remember, some of these proposed laws would require a mother to continue with a dead fetus).

4.  If everything is all good, the mother is in no danger, and the baby is developmentally "normal", then I think the viability decision from Casey, which is 24 weeks, is the right answer.  

yup. this isn't really hard. in nuanced subjects like this there has to be more than one answer. and that's where a lot of people short circuit

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

For the pro choice people on this thread, is there any point during pregnancy where you think the state has the right to prohibit abortions not otherwise necessary to save the mother from death or serious risk of injury or do you support no restrictions up until birth?

Your question seems to hint that you think there is an expectation among pro-choice people that any abortion up to full term is OK.  I doubt very many people feel that way.

For me, outside of overarching health issues for the mother, "viability" is the line in the sand, or roughly 24 weeks.  After that, barring medical concerns, I don't support abortion.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2