2018 Masters

markstanco

Pom's Masters adventure.  Got to go to a practice round as a guest in 1997 then ten of us applied for 1998 practice round tickets.  I was the only one selected and four of us got to go.  Went again in 1999 for the actual tournament as a guest.  Received a letter from the club advising that they we reopening the waiting list for the first time since 1978 and would i like to enter my name in another lottery for admission to the list, duhh.  
A few months pass then I receive another letter announcing that I have been selected to be added to the waiting list and can anticipate having the opportunity to purchase Masters badges in the foreseeable future.
I've had my own tickets since the 2000 Masters.
All the letters are framed.

Yeah, that's amazing.

3 minutes ago, crackamacgowski said:

Is Tiger a betting man?

He's a well known huge gambler (in Vegas). Stays at the very private Mansion (at MGM) and plays some high stakes blackjack.

As for the usual Tuesday golf match for a few dollars, supposedly Phil beat Tiger out of $500 in a practice round in 1998 and rubbed it in and they haven't really played each other for money since then? Who knows. Phil loves the Tuesday practice round match for money. As he told me, he likes to play for enough to make it interesting but not too much that it hurts. 

• Like 1

Thursday Tee Times (all times ET)

8:30 a.m. -- Austin Cook, Ted Potter, Jr., Wesley Bryan

8:41 a.m. -- Ian Woosnam, Ryan Moore, Jhonattan Vegas

8:52 a.m. -- Mike Weir, Brendan Steele, Matt Parziale (a)

9:03 a.m. -- Jose Maria Olazabal, Kevin Chappell, Dylan Frittelli

9:14 a.m. -- Bryson DeChambeau, Bernd Wiesberger, Matthew Fitzpatrick

9:25 a.m. -- Mark O'Meara, Brian Harman, Harry Ellis (a)

9:36 a.m. -- Vijay Singh, Satoshi Kodaira, Daniel Berger

9:47 a.m. -- Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Pat Perez, Francesco Molinari

9:58 a.m. -- Danny Willett, Kyle Stanley, Jason Dufner

10:09 a.m. -- Hideki Matsuyama, Patton Kizzire, Paul Casey

10:31 a.m. -- Zach Johnson, Martin Kaymer, Branden Grace

10:42 a.m. -- Tiger Woods, Marc Leishman, Tommy Fleetwood

10:53 a.m. -- Sergio Garcia, Justin Thomas, Doc Redman (a)

11:04 a.m. -- Bubba Watson, Henrik Stenson, Jason Day

11:15 a.m. -- Patrick Reed, Charley Hoffman, Adam Hadwin

11:26 a.m. -- Billy Horschel, Chez Reavie, Cameron Smith

11:37 a.m. -- Sandy Lyle, Si Woo Kim, Doug Ghim (a)

11:48 a.m. -- Trevor Immelman, Ian Poulter, Patrick Cantlay

11:59 a.m. -- Angel Cabrera, Ross Fisher, Jimmy Walker

12:10 p.m. -- Fred Couples, Haotong Li, Joaquin Niemann (a)

12:32 p.m. -- Larry Mize, Russell Henley, Shubhankar Sharma

12:43 p.m. -- Bernhard Langer, Tony Finau, Yuta Ikeda

12:54 p.m. -- Charl Schwartzel, Webb Simpson, Yuxin Lin (a)

1:05 p.m. -- Kevin Kisner, Thomas Pieters, Xander Schauffele

1:16 p.m. -- Gary Woodland, Yusaku Miyazato, Tyrrell Hatton

1:27 p.m. -- Phil Mickelson, Rickie Fowler, Matt Kuchar

1:38 p.m. -- Adam Scott, Rory McIlroy, Jon Rahm

1:49 p.m. -- Jordan Spieth, Alex Noren, Louis Oosthuizen

2:00 p.m. -- Justin Rose, Dustin Johnson, Rafa Cabrera Bello

On 4/2/2018 at 10:31 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Let's see if we can get people to guess in a surly Masters contest:

A) Winner & score
B) Best performance by a prior Masters winner & by a non-prior Masters winner
C) Worst performance by a prior winner (I'm leaning to a "W" - Willet, Woosnam, or Wier)
D) Best performance by - DJ, Jordan, JT, Rory, Phil or Bubba
E) Cut line

Justin Thomas -12

Bubba, Fowler

Woosnam

JT

cut: E 

On 4/2/2018 at 10:31 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Let's see if we can get people to guess in a surly Masters contest:

A) Winner & score
B) Best performance by a prior Masters winner & by a non-prior Masters winner
C) Worst performance by a prior winner (I'm leaning to a "W" - Willet, Woosnam, or Wier)
D) Best performance by - DJ, Jordan, JT, Rory, Phil or Bubba
E) Cut line

1. Tiger at -9

2. Bubba and Kutcher (probably popular to pick MK)

3. Angel Cabrera 

4. DJ

5. +2

People like the underdog in most sports. Not golf. I don't know of anyone that's thinking "wouldn't it be awesome if Ted Potter, Jr won a major" other than his mother. The Ted Potter's of the world can have the Valspar and the like but the major's are for the stars of the game.

Other than his talent, and maybe that's enough for most, why all the Tiger love? I always heard from the guys that had connections to the tour and the pros that Tiger was a dick. He was notorious for tipping like a teenager even after he made big money--which was like his third month as a pro.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Other than his talent, and maybe that's enough for most, why all the Tiger love? I always heard from the guys that had connections to the tour and the pros that Tiger was a dick. He was notorious for tipping like a teenager even after he made big money--which was like his third month as a pro.

We are witnessing a very special time in almost all of our major sports, and that extends to golf.  The amount of HoF talent across athletics right now is crazy and it is all aging.  There is no successor to Lebron or Tom Brady or others who played at the highest level possible for a long period of time.  That extends to Tiger (and even Phil).  Golf suffered without him before he even came along.  Golf suffered without him after he was gone for a few years (lost in the woods).  Golf will suffer again when he is no longer around.

He is potentially the greatest ever and getting to see the greatest ever win one more time is the stuff of fair tales.  

All that and he is a damn good golfer that seems to be in top shape coming into the weekend.  I'm pumped for some awesome golf.

53 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

People like the underdog in most sports. Not golf. I don't know of anyone that's thinking "wouldn't it be awesome if Ted Potter, Jr won a major" other than his mother. The Ted Potter's of the world can have the Valspar and the like but the major's are for the stars of the game.

I think people tend to like favorites more often in golf because those are the personalities they are familiar with because nobody else gets air time on telecasts. It isn't like watching basketball or football where you get to watch the team and see other players in addition to stars. You can only see the people they put on TV.

But it also helps when Tiger is trying to accomplish something that has never been done in history - people want to see him make history. People like Phil - he's a fan favorite, so they root for him. People like Jordan. But I think a lot of people would also like to see a young up and comer (especially an American at the Masters) take down someone like Bubba or others who aren't as well liked. Sergio and DJ used to fall in this group but are more sympathetic figures now.

I'd like to see all of them in contention on the back nine Sunday and see who has the nerves to finish it off through Amen Corner and the closing holes. If its Tiger, great, if its Jordan, great, if its Kevin Kisner or Russell Henley that's great too. But it would be awesome to have Tiger/Phil/Bubba/Jordan/JT/Rory/Sergio/etc battling it out at the end with some underdogs in the mix as well.

I'm not saying a majority of people are rooting for the underdog (they aren't), but I think its overly simplistic to say people don't like the underdog in golf. Some of the younger stars were underdogs until they started winning majors.

My $0.02 and I'm not going to derail the thread with it any more.

4 hours ago, HouTex said:

Negged. 

6 hours ago, Jhawk said:

We are witnessing a very special time in almost all of our major sports, and that extends to golf.  The amount of HoF talent across athletics right now is crazy and it is all aging.  There is no successor to Lebron or Tom Brady or others who played at the highest level possible for a long period of time.  That extends to Tiger (and even Phil).  Golf suffered without him before he even came along.  Golf suffered without him after he was gone for a few years (lost in the woods).  Golf will suffer again when he is no longer around.

He is potentially the greatest ever and getting to see the greatest ever win one more time is the stuff of fair tales.  

All that and he is a damn good golfer that seems to be in top shape coming into the weekend.  I'm pumped for some awesome golf.

I'm struck by the number of golfers playing in the Masters openly rooting for Tiger to win the Masters.  He makes the sport.

God, I hope he's in contention on Sunday.  I never thought he'd be relevant again with his back and indifference to playing.  

I'm struck by the number of golfers playing in the Masters openly rooting for Tiger to win the Masters.  He makes the sport.
God, I hope he's in contention on Sunday.  I never thought he'd be relevant again with his back and indifference to playing.  

I will say that I root for great shots and magical rounds more than anything. I don’t think I’ve ever rooted against someone on the golf course. 

I was 100% rooting for a Danny Willett snowman coming down the homestretch in ‘16.

The only time I enjoy the underdog story is when everyone is struggling and bitching at the US Open that it is too hard. Now, I'm not hoping an underdog wins but I don't mind if one is leading while everyone else is getting beat down. I do like this golf usually happens once a year though but I do like seeing the best look amateurish here and there. 

On 4/2/2018 at 8:40 PM, Incredulity said:

I got prime, top shelf and cubans.

I see your prime, top shelf, and raise you aged cubans I bought off of Macanudo himself.  Did he make the jump to Surly?

His recent form has been very, very good. He knows that course as well as anyone alive. The strongest part of his game currently is irons + putter.

You can get away with sub par drives at Augusta as long as you recover with your irons + putter by leaving yourself in the right spots around the greens. I think he has all the tools in the bag to pull that off currently.

Edited by dieucla98