Das Boot series on Hulu

bolverk

Just finished the first episode of the series and surprised to see there's not already a thread covering it.

Pretty good introduction so far. The general theme is that the German seaman stationed in La Rochelle on the Atlantic Coast of France are full of doubt and reluctant sailors doing their duty out of pride and in the face of strict military discipline. Good side story seems to be emerging with the French Resistance. It feels like it's set in 1943 before the Normandy landing, but Germany is clearly losing the war in the Atlantic (one mention of the Enigma machine being unbreakable). Also, there have already been a few pair of tits.

Being a European production, about 3/4 quarters of the dialogue has been in German with the remainder in French (about 20 English words spoken so far). I'm enjoying it.

Edited by bolverk

• 2 weeks later...

The movie was something of a sensation back in 82.  There hadn't been much in the way of sympathy for German U-boats or the Nazis. The movie was pretty good.

An interesting story was about the movie's premier in California. The movie opens with gloom and a statistic comes onto the screen. 

100,000 Germans went to sea in the U-boat service. Ten thousand returned.

The audience was silent for a moment then someone started clapping. The entire audience applauded.

I've always sort of loved that. Fuck Nazis.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I haven't seen this show (saw the movie years ago) but did tour the U-505 at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago over the weekend. Highly recommended. 

They said those U-boats did not have any shower or bathing facilities, normally averaged 95-degree temps and could be at sea three months at a time. No showers for 3 months. And supposedly each crew member was issued two pairs of underwear. Seriously? 

No Bathing Facilities on U-Boats Led to Constant Outbreaks of Skin Diseases & Revolting Smell Inside the Boats - Paperblog

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

I would think they would be cold in the North Atlantic for those not in the engine room.

The diesels only ran at night while they were on the surface charging their batteries for staying undersea during the day. I loved submarine fiction back in my school days. Still do if it's good.

This series was very good. Beware, there is only one season!