Stolen Wheels - Wheel Locks Worth It?

Had my wheel stolen over the weekend from my gated apartment complex. Thieves only had two blocks so the car was sitting on the front rotors. I'm hoping there is no damage.

I'm considering getting wheel locks but I know that a dedicated thief is going to be able to get through them. Do any of y'all have any experience with them? Is it worth it? Will it do nothing?

I have concerns that now that they know where I live they'll hit me again.

I’ve also been wondering if wheel locks are actually effective. It seems that those wrenches that have a bunch of “pins” that conform to whatever shape would easily defeat those locks.

Totally worth it. Unless your local criminal has $70 and an Amazon account.

https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-Pro-78537-16-Piece-Locking/dp/B00JF5F420

81SNujMub7L._SL1500_.jpg

If someone wants your wheels, they're going to get them. The wheel locks are simply a deterrent that will slow down the process, which is not typically conducive to their trade.

Edited by SurlyBDR
  • Like 2

On 7/2/2019 at 9:14 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Not really.  If they want the wheels, they can get them off.  Even with a Craftsman socket.  Shit, here's a 9 year old Youtube clip

The better ones have a rotating outer sleeve these days so that method no longer works. The socket will just spin the sleeve.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-61631-Acorn-Thread/dp/B000CMJ2QE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?creativeASIN=B000CMJ2QE&imprToken=y-ADqWXlvw5nPtdTZge0xA&slotNum=0&ie=UTF8&qid=1522512819&sr=8-3&keywords=locking+wheel+nuts&linkCode=w61&tag=dan0389-20&linkId=7e12824222d771694ea650be1edace9e

But again, wheel locks are about making thieves look for easier targets 

10 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

The better ones have a rotating outer sleeve these days so that method no longer works. The socket will just spin the sleeve.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-61631-Acorn-Thread/dp/B000CMJ2QE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?creativeASIN=B000CMJ2QE&imprToken=y-ADqWXlvw5nPtdTZge0xA&slotNum=0&ie=UTF8&qid=1522512819&sr=8-3&keywords=locking+wheel+nuts&linkCode=w61&tag=dan0389-20&linkId=7e12824222d771694ea650be1edace9e

But again, wheel locks are about making thieves look for easier targets 

This. They are about as effective as a home security system. Neither will stop a thief, but your best bet is to make it more of a pain in the ass to steal your stuff than your neighbor’s stuff.

Thats why I use wheel locks.