Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

Relevant to our discussion above. 

"In isolation, their profiles might look terrible. In context, however, one team might look a lot better than another. They have to fill 68 slots, as the saying goes. Comparisons are our friends these next few weeks. Isolated team judgments need to account for the larger reality that other teams are going through the same problems."

14 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

welp, there's your problem

68 seems like a lot but it's still less than 20% of college basketball teams. 

Then throw in the fact a last four team has advanced to the round of 32 or further in all 8 tournaments with that format. I don't have a huge problem with the 68 team format. Even with the bubble being terrible there really isn't a huge difference between the 6 seed line and a last 4 type team. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

68 seems like a lot but it's still less than 20% of college basketball teams. 

Then throw in the fact a last four team has advanced to the round of 32 or further in all 8 tournaments with that format. I don't have a huge problem with the 68 team format. Even with the bubble being terrible there really isn't a huge difference between the 6 seed line and a last 4 type team. 

I have a problem because I liked the nice round divisible number of 64, but more pertinently, because the four team play-in is arbitrary and stupid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

People keep saying this but the committee is gonna have to take teams near .500 to get to 68 teams. 

Florida is 17-13. Likely going to be 17-14 after a loss @ Kentucky. They're in the field.

Alabama is 17-13. Good chance they are 17-14 after a loss @ Arkansas. They're in the field. 

Clemson is 18-12. Good chance they are 18-13 after a loss against Syracuse. They're in the field. 

Seton Hall is 17-12. Good chance they are 17-13 after a loss against Nova. They're in the field. 

Ohio State is 18-11. Good chance they are 18-12 after a loss against Wisconsin. They're in the field. 

Minnesota is 19-11. Good chance they are 19-12 after a loss against @ Maryland. They're in the field. 

I could keep going. Texas isn't some random outlier here. Almost all the P5 teams near the bubble have shit records with 12 to 15 losses and Texas has better metrics than almost all of them. 

You can't find enough teams with "20 to 23 wins' to get to 68 tournament teams. 

we are riding our conf strength and the fact we play a 18 games of round robin.  

would be interesting if you traded our UNC, KU, Purdue, @KSU wins for Prov, OSU, VCU, Georgia  where we'd be.

Just now, dcar00 said:

we are riding our conf strength and the fact we play a 18 games of round robin.  

would be interesting if you traded our UNC, KU, Purdue, @KSU wins for Prov, OSU, VCU, Georgia  where we'd be.

Much worse off. The committee doesn't like bad losses, but they love "quality" wins.

The committee loves quality wins but they also love teams that schedule tough in nonconference. The best example of this is last year in the Big 12. 

OU and Texas made the dance at 8-10 in the Big 12. Oklahoma State and Baylor didn't at 8-10 in the Big 12. Nonconference SOS of those teams-Texas (99), OU (96), Oklahoma State (311), Baylor (282). The committee prioritizes teams with tough nonconference schedules. 

It's probably going to play out the same way this year but with different records. Texas nonconference SOS (16), OU (34), TCU (95). If TCU played a tougher nonconference schedule they might even have a shot at a bid with 6 wins in the Big 12. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I have a problem because I liked the nice round divisible number of 64, but more pertinently, because the four team play-in is arbitrary and stupid. 

I’d prefer the 8 First Four teams be the last 8 at large teams. Lame for some tiny school to make the dance and all they get is to play Alabama A&M in Dayton. They earned the right to get throatfucked by Dook or Tucky like every other 16 (well almost every other hi UVA).
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Take all this tourney shit talk to the season thread.  It has no bearing on whether Smart will be fired (no) or whether he should be (yes).  

it's also unbelievably monotonous as Texas has never once been out if the tournament picture to this point. day after day, a dozen or more posts about how the shitty teams that are waaaay behind us in the computer rankings all lost again. We're 26th in Kenpom in an incredibly down year for the tournament. these daily marathon posting sessions about "will we or won't we make it" are about as interesting as a never ending debate about whether or not we think our next game will be played on Saturday or not. spoiler alert: it will be.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

No less interesting than Shaka sucks replies for a 1000 posts on in.  

I think we've had a lot more substance in here than that, and even if we hadn't at least it's what the thread is for. I've never heard Texas mentioned as a team that could miss the tourney. the constant talk about whether or not we will make it is beyond tedious, until we actually appear to be on the bubble. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

The committee loves quality wins but they also love teams that schedule tough in nonconference. The best example of this is last year in the Big 12. 

OU and Texas made the dance at 8-10 in the Big 12. Oklahoma State and Baylor didn't at 8-10 in the Big 12. Nonconference SOS of those teams-Texas (99), OU (96), Oklahoma State (311), Baylor (282). The committee prioritizes teams with tough nonconference schedules. 

It's probably going to play out the same way this year but with different records. Texas nonconference SOS (16), OU (34), TCU (95). If TCU played a tougher nonconference schedule they might even have a shot at a bid with 6 wins in the Big 12. 

On the flip side, TCU sucks so if they had played a tougher non-con schedule they'd probably have several more losses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Take all this tourney shit talk to the season thread.  It has no bearing on whether Smart will be fired (no) or whether he should be (yes).  

Then respond to this idea on Fire Shaka....

Here's a creative way CDC might help Shaka leave after this season.....

Shaka's remaining contract $12.9 mill over 4yrs

1. CDC arranges for UT to pay Shaka $10mill lump sum to buy out existing contract.  

2. CDC agrees to no offset if Shaka coaches elsewhere.

3. Shaka signs a 4yr deal with Wake Forest with a Contract worth $10+mill    (Good for Wake Forest since no buyout to get Shaka)

4. CDC hires Fred Hoiberg as Horns Basketball Coach   (No buyout of another contract to get Hoiberg)

Edited by LTtxfan

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

How many times and places you gonna post that? 

Just hoping to see more creative financial ideas on how Horns can get a new men's basketball head coach.  My proposal while a long shot, could allow Shaka to secure financial security and possibly move back east near where he coached VCU with possibility to make more money over next 4yrs assuming he can get Wake Forest job.

Edited by LTtxfan

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Then respond to this idea on Fire Shaka....

Here's a creative way CDC might help Shaka leave after this season.....

Shaka's remaining contract $12.9 mill over 4yrs

1. CDC arranges for UT to pay Shaka $10mill lump sum to buy out existing contract.  

2. CDC agrees to no offset if Shaka coaches elsewhere.

3. Shaka signs a 4yr deal with Wake Forest with a Contract worth $10+mill    (Good for Wake Forest since no buyout to get Shaka)

4. CDC hires Fred Hoiberg as Horns Basketball Coach   (No buyout of another contract to get Hoiberg)

there's a reason people aren't responding to this.

"your proposal" lol. yep. that's how easy this whole coaching change situation can be fixed. LTxfan of surlyhorns.com has his easy four step plan. done deal. i mean what are you waiting for, hit him up on twitter and tell him you've solved his problem. 

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just hoping to see more creative financial ideas on how Horns can get a new men's basketball head coach.  My proposal while a long shot, could allow Shaka to secure financial security and possibly move back east near where he coached VCU with possibility to make more money over next 4yrs assuming he can get Wake Forest job.

Yes, because Shaka doesn't have financial security right now.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:02 AM, Machinator said:

Entitled is thinking that we can just dump a coach by asking our boosters to pay more than they paid for a football head coaching change, when basketball is third in importance among the three revenue sports to the majority of our fanbase - while also asking them to fund a new baseball facility, the SEZ expansion, a new softball facility, a new outdoor swimming pool for our GOAT swimming coach who has asked for one for nearly thirty years, Mike Meyers renovations - and on top of that we have $190M in debt service.

On 3/6/2019 at 10:53 AM, Skipper said:

We make fun of Aggy paying Jimbo $75MM salary guaranteed over 10 years.  And you want to pay $20MM IN FUCKING BUYOUTS to fire Shaka and Hire Beard......  Post less.

Face.fucking.palm. Lmao

What a shitshow. Had a few good years at VCU and that's it. Get his ass out of here.

Not even that. Never won the conf at VCU. Got one tourney run out of the worst at-large selection in history. If they’d been rightly left out, Shaka Smart is no one.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

Not even that. Never won the conf at VCU. Got one tourney run out of the worst at-large selection in history. If they’d been rightly left out, Shaka Smart is no one.

I never realized he never even won the conference at VCU. I would have assumed he won it the Final 4 year. He was nothing more than a George Mason/Loyola and some others who get hot for about 4 games. Doesn't mean you want that coach to come to your program and coach in a big boy conference. I also thought he had one other good run at VCU in the tournament. 

Anyways, get him out here. He's been miserable and his teams are hard to watch and they have looked to quit on him. 

2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

it's literally his only worthwhile career accomplishment. well that and failing upwards spectacularly.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I never realized he never even won the conference at VCU. I would have assumed he won it the Final 4 year. He was nothing more than a George Mason/Loyola and some others who get hot for about 4 games. Doesn't mean you want that coach to come to your program and coach in a big boy conference. I also thought he had one other good run at VCU in the tournament. 

Anyways, get him out here. He's been miserable and his teams are hard to watch and they have looked to quit on him. 

The Final Four year they finished 4th in the Colonial Athletic Association, lost 5 of their last 7 to end the regular season, and didn't even win their conference tourney. So he had a team good enough to go to the Final Four and that's what he did with it. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

The Final Four year they finished 4th in the Colonial Athletic Association, lost 5 of their last 7, and didn't even win the conference tourney. 

Might be a dumb question but how did they get in the tournament? I thought those were one bid conference tournament conferences.

The question is going to be with the expected upheaval coming soon with the Addias pay for play saga, is it going to be possible to do better than Smart for this coming offseason or do you let him hang for one more year in a do or die scenario knowing that that year most of the pay for play guys should now have been identified..

Do you feel comfortable making this move knowing that there is an even greater amount of uncertainty than usual in the replacement talent pool?

To me it’s time to move on, but I can understand the other side..

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Might be a dumb question but how did they get in the tournament? I thought those were one bid conference tournament conferences.

They were labeled the most egregious at-large bid ever. It was also the first year of the "First Four", which they played in. Letting that team in the tourney was incomprehensible.

• Like 1

If Steve Patterson was an enemy agent whose sole mission was to destroy Texas men's athletic programs, he couldn't have done much better.

We will have spent close to $60 million on two amazingly mediocre coaches. To be fair, Perrin and others played a role in some of that as well.

• Like 4

Just now, Disco Missile said:

If Steve Patterson was an enemy agent whose sole mission was to destroy Texas men's athletic programs, he couldn't have done much better.

We will have spent close to $60 million on two amazingly mediocre coaches. To be fair, Perrin and others played a role in some of that as well.

oh he was definitely a sleeper cell, no doubt about it. 

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic