Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

38 minutes ago, 2inDaPink1inDaStink said:

Is  Shakexit happening or no?

Well, Shakshit already happened, so Shakexit seems inevitable. Just a question of this year or next.

Still hoping for this year, cuz I can't stand to watch another season as graceless and squalid as this one.

2 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

You read the article right?

Nope. Brian Davis has shown time after time that he’s not plugged in and doesn’t know shit until after it happens.

Why would the administration leak they’re gonna fire Shaka before the team even knows if it’s in the tournament. That would be a horrible mistake.

Articles like this are meaningless until after the season is over.

11 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you know it took Scott Drew 5 years to post a winning record and seven to really get Baylor turned around after one of their players murdered another player and their head coach tried to cover it up and the NCAA dropped a near death penalty on them

it took Beilein six years to get Michigan to the title game, it took Coach K seven to get Duke there (plus another five to actually win it). It took Dean Smith six years to win > 20 at Carolina and twenty to win his first title. 

Like those gentlemen, Shaka Smart is ALSO a basketball coach.

Your move, CDC!!!!!!!!!

FIRE HIS ASS!!!

Did the players for those coaches routinely regress from their first to second years? 

The problem with the Texas program isn't the players, it's something else. Perhaps that something else should be identified and eliminated.

I really hate this quote by CDC. 

Del Conte pulled a reporter close Thursday night and said, “Remember, it’s about integrity. You can cut corners in search of more wins, but you must have integrity. Think about that during this process.”

I don't understand at all how integrity has anything to do with letting a failing coach go after consistently not living up to expectations.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nope. Brian Davis has shown time after time that he’s not plugged in and doesn’t know shit until after it happens.

Why would the administration leak they’re gonna fire Shaka before the team even knows if it’s in the tournament. That would be a horrible mistake.

Articles like this are meaningless until after the season is over.

While I see your point, The quotes by CDC himself give the article credibility. 

Shaka will be here next year. I really wish (faintly hope) that won’t be the case.

buzz to a&m

22 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Shaka will be here next year. I really wish (faintly hope) that won’t be the case.

buzz to a&m

Read the article. CDC’s quote doesn’t mean he’s keeping Shaka at all. It  could just as easily mean he’s not gonna say anything until it happens so as to go about the process of acquiring a new coach with integrity. Davis is running with a quote to match his expected outcome. 

Davis also says any legitimate coach will have a large buyout, which is wrong because Hoiberg is sitting there with no buyout.

Edited by Burt Macklin

This probably won't be a popular suggestion, but what is Tony Bennett's contract situation and comfort level in Charlottesville?

True, his reputation has forever been stained as a result of last year, and his defense-focused style might be too similar to Barnes for many here, but he's a proven and consistent winner at multiple stops and I think he'd do well in Austin.

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This probably won't be a popular suggestion, but what is Tony Bennett's contract situation and comfort level in Charlottesville?

True, his reputation has forever been stained as a result of last year, and his defense-focused style might be too similar to Barnes for many here, but he's a proven and consistent winner at multiple stops and I think he'd do well in Austin.

I'm pretty sure Tony Bennett would be a very popular suggestion (unless he flames out in the tournament again this season).

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I mean I’d prefer an offensive coach after watching late era-Barnes and Shaka, but I can’t imagine anyone being upset if we landed Bennett.

Just now, Machinator said:

I'm pretty sure Tony Bennett would be a very popular suggestion (unless he flames out in the tournament again this season).

Yes, another high-seeded flameout would be difficult to overcome.

Seems to do everything right, though, and with the level of recruits he could draw to Austin ... I'd be giddy if we hired him. Just watch out for that No.1 overall seed, I guess.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean I’d prefer an offensive coach after watching late era-Barnes and Shaka

Understandable! I'm there with you, but Bennett would check so many other boxes.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Glad to learn my pipe dream isn't as unpopular as I assumed.

51 minutes ago, Depraved said:

I really hate this quote by CDC. 

I don't understand at all how integrity has anything to do with letting a failing coach go after consistently not living up to expectations.

49 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Shaka will be here next year. I really wish (faintly hope) that won’t be the case....

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Read the article. CDC’s quote doesn’t mean he’s keeping Shaka at all. It  could just as easily mean he’s not gonna say anything until it happens so as to go about the process of acquiring a new coach with integrity. Davis is running with a quote to match his expected outcome. 

Davis also says any legitimate coach will have a large buyout, which is wrong because Hoiberg is sitting there with no buyout.

There is a 0.05% chance that Texas gets an NCAA, but there is a greater than 50% chance that Texas receives an NIT invite.

Just because we flamed out down the stretch and in our first conference tournament game, doesn't mean that that is the last game of the season. CDC isn't going to fire Shaka with more games left in the season.

Wait until the season has officially been completed AND a final decision has been made (oh please, please, please fire him!) and THEN we will get a quote, or press conference, from CDC.

If Texas doesn't receive an invite to either tournament, then we will hear from CDC sooner than later.

I like fading the douche Brian Davis so we'll see.  But this won't be surprising.

Sources at every level of UT administration have told the American-Statesman that Smart will return for a fifth season regardless if the Horns make the NCAA Tournament or not. The field of 68 will be announced Sunday, but no .500 team has ever been an at-large selection. UT is 16-16.

Just now, Red Five said:

Brian Davis thought Steve Patterson was awesome and laughed off suggestions that he would be fired. So yeah, not exactly plugged in. 

Davis is still on Patterson's fucking payroll as a lapdog.  Has been since he reviewed the excel schedule that supported that fucked up "blended rate" increase on season football tickets.

I hate Davis almost as much as that unbridled snake Patterson.

Shaka remaining at Texas is the absolute worst thing that could happen for our program. CDC knows that. Him remaining will only add years to the rebuild. How will we recruit anybody with a lame duck coaching staff and awful team that plays in an empty arena? CDC is no dummy. He knows that retaining Shaka is the worst possible option. I believe he will make some what needs to be done. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Trust I want to believe 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Yes, another high-seeded flameout would be difficult to overcome.

Seems to do everything right, though, and with the level of recruits he could draw to Austin ... I'd be giddy if we hired him. Just watch out for that No.1 overall seed, I guess.

You might have competition for him. NBC sports radio tweeted bill self to Chicago bulls....

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

There has been literally zero noise about Hoiberg to Texas. When you factor in the rumors about him not liking recruiting, it sounds entirely like fan wishcasting.

I mean there haven’t really been rumors about anyone, except maybe Williams a bit but even that’s just pure fan speculation,, because it’s too early. 

Hoiberg isn’t a huge recruiter, but he’s already walked that back and said he wants to coach college. He’s not getting another NBA HC this year, so it’s very likely he’s a college HC next year, and I’d bet Texas would be a contender if the job we’re open.

Edited by Burt Macklin

13 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Why would Tech hire him? Tech doesn't care what Shaka did at VCU.

Same could be asked about Wake Forrest. It's not like Tech has had an inordinate amount of success over their entire existence much less outside of anyone other than Williams.

10 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Same could be asked about Wake Forrest. It's not like Tech has had an inordinate amount of success over their entire existence much less outside of anyone other than Williams.

My comment was more in line with why would they hire a loser if they lose a winner like Buzz?

fuck, aggy fired their coach and he went to the Sweet 16 last year, and no to Bennett. His teams are great in the regular season, but consistently fail in the lose and your out format, because they can't score as today showed. He's average 28.7 wins in the last 6 years, but has 0 FF's and 1 EE. In his entire career, he's never once won in the tournament as the lower seed, but has been upset 5 times, the last 2 times as #1 seeds to double digit opponents.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

There has been literally zero noise about Hoiberg to Texas. When you factor in the rumors about him not liking recruiting, it sounds entirely like fan wishcasting.

the interesting thing is there is an article with hoiberg stating he wants to get back into coaching asap and he states either college or pro. could just be he wants a college job to try to get back to the pros but I think I'd take that chance.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

There is a 0.05% chance that Texas gets an NCAA, but there is a greater than 50% chance that Texas receives an NIT invite.

Just because we flamed out down the stretch and in our first conference tournament game, doesn't mean that that is the last game of the season. CDC isn't going to fire Shaka with more games left in the season.

Wait until the season has officially been completed AND a final decision has been made (oh please, please, please fire him!) and THEN we will get a quote, or press conference, from CDC.

If Texas doesn't receive an invite to either tournament, then we will hear from CDC sooner than later.

I think it is fairly revealing, if the quote is accurate, him talking about the process, integrity, etc. as well as saying its ludircrous to talk before the end of the season.  If he was planning to bring him back why would you need a process?

I will give CDC this, he's smart, if he does say "Smart is back no matter what, quit asking" then he sets a precendent that he is willing to make a definitive statement before the season ends.  In my mind, a guy like CDC has a list of 2 or 3 coaches that he would move heaven and earth for and if one of them is available Shaka is gone.  If not, Shaka stays.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

he confirmed earlier this year that his next gig will be a head coaching gig either in the NBA or the NCAA, so that's the hope we can hold onto. 

49 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the interesting thing is there is an article with hoiberg stating he wants to get back into coaching asap and he states either college or pro. could just be he wants a college job to try to get back to the pros but I think I'd take that chance.

Interesting indeed. I didn't think he was a serious option, but now I'm excited. 

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic