Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

I was at a charity event last night. During the auction, their was a football signed by Herman and the team and a basketball signed by Shaka and the team. They were auctioned together for a couple grand. The winner went up and got the football. He looked at the basketball and said “keep it.”

He should have picked up the basketball, pulled out a pocket knife and flatted it in front of everyone.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

No idea who all had signed it. They said “Shaka and the team.” He certainly did not disrespect any particular kid. And low class? Is everybody who abstained from bidding also low class? I was bidding for a while because I wanted the football, but the b-ball did not factor into my descision at all. Guess that makes me low class. Either way, the end result was that they got to auction it again which lead to more money for cancer families.

Were they able to get more than $50 for the basketball?

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

No idea who all had signed it. They said “Shaka and the team.” He certainly did not disrespect any particular kid. And low class? Is everybody who abstained from bidding also low class? I was bidding for a while because I wanted the football, but the b-ball did not factor into my descision at all. Guess that makes me low class. Either way, the end result was that they got to auction it again which lead to more money for cancer families.

that guy is going to rue the day he gave up on a basketball signed by our only team to win a national championship.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

TCU will beat us by double digits. Playing in the NIT and winning it is zero consolation, anyway. And yes I picked up on the sarcasm. 

i'm not so sure. yes it means shitall to me or any fan but either way I'm rooting for the players.  they aren't the ones making 4M dollars to win the ultimate losers bracket.

• Like 1

We have no clue about what will happen, but no AD is going to announce their strategy (except aggy) publicly, until the deal is signed. 

After the NIT run is done, we will see what the emperor does with his thumb. It will be hard to suffer thru another year in the desert though.

23 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

The poster here, Skipper, said this?  Lulz. 

No, I said nothing of the sort.  But incompetent fucks like Rickyspub have zero reading comprehension skills.  Clearly Shaka needs to go - I don't think a single poster disagrees with that at this time.  I don't think he will because the buyout is too big with the large number of capital projects we're already undertaking and because basketball revenue is relatively flat (compared to football) regardless of how successful the team is. 

Who and what I have criticized are those that claim CDC is incompetent or a shitty AD if he doesn't fire Shaka this year because those handful of posters have taken zero effort to (or are incapable of) critically analyzing the situation.   It's just "Shaka Bad...Beard Good."   I think the only way the buyout gets done is if big $$ donors are willing to cut a huge check (particularly now that the 'soft landing' doesn't appear likely).  So if you aren't capable of (or willing to) do that, then you can't really criticize CDC if it doesn't get done.   I don't even think the lower level donors care enough to attempt to move the needle. 

And I'm case and point. When Herman was hired I increased my donation and my football season tix from 2-4.  But I live out of town and haven't spent a dime on Texas basketball in years and likely won't in the near term regardless of who the coach is.  So in that sense, I'm part of the problem, but I'm also not bitching about it (except as it relates to the idiots that signed Shaka up to this contract and put CDC in this position to begin with).

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I can criticize our AD (Department, not Director) all I want, and not donate a dime to his buyout. Fans/boosters didn’t hire Shaka in the first place, or extend his contract. I have no sympathy for the situation, or for CDC, though I realize this isn’t his doing. 

I have zero issues with anyone criticizing what got us into this mess.  Clearly multiple fuck ups.   In any event, I do think Tech making this run is a good thing.  Hoping it motivates the right people to make the Beard thing happen.  I would think CDC is certainly trying to leverage it.   I can't imagine any donor enjoys Tech playing in the real Final 4 while we are playing for 69th place.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I have zero issues with anyone criticizing what got us into this mess.  Clearly multiple fuck ups.   In any event, I do think Tech making this run is a good thing.  Hoping it motivates the right people to make the Beard thing happen.  I would think CDC is certainly trying to leverage it.   I can't imagine any donor enjoys Tech playing in the real Final 4 while we are playing for 69th place.

Why should it take a conference rival succeeding to motivate UT's AD to fix your basketball program?  If, hypothetically, Beard was a flop at Tech that no one wanted, would that have made it OK for the UT athletic dept. to be happy with an NIT bid?

Just now, Dirk X West said:

Why should it take a conference rival succeeding to motivate UT's AD to fix your basketball program?  If, hypothetically, Beard was a flop at Tech that no one wanted, would that have made it OK for the UT athletic dept. to be happy with an NIT bid?

Not motivating CDC.  Motivating those that are capable of funding the buyout.  Hence why I said CDC may be trying to leverage it.

Just now, Skipper said:

Not motivating CDC.  Motivating those that are capable of funding the buyout.  Hence why I said CDC may be trying to leverage it.

Do you really think people who have millions to donate actually think this way, like "it's OK if OSU is better at basketball than us, or ISU or even K-State, but Tech, hell no!!"?

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Beard is a pipe dream at this point. Tech will not let him go and frankly is in position to outbid us, easily. Beard is likely staying put, and Hocutt/boosters will ensure it. If he doesn’t stay put, he’ll go to UCLA. 

I don't disagree.   Unless he just really prefers to coach at UT/live in Austin.   There isn't any amount of money Tech could throw at him that makes Lubbock a nice place to live.

5 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Do you really think people who have millions to donate actually think this way, like "it's OK if OSU is better at basketball than us, or ISU or even K-State, but Tech, hell no!!"?

I think there are some super rich people that are petty as fuck, yes.  

Edited by Skipper

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t know. But I’m certain there are some. Probably those that have very good friends that are Tech fans, and want to say “watch this”. If you think that doesn’t happen, you’re naive. 

They may think that, but there's a big difference between thinking it and giving several million to make it happen, especially when most of them probably don't care that much about basketball.  

33 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Your inferiority complex about all this is truly astounding and overshadows pretty much everything you post.

It has nothing to do with  Tech specifically. No one thinks our basketball program is acceptable right now, but that’s different than ponying up roughly $20 million to fix it. Beard looking like an elite coach and having a history with UT that would make him more interested than most elite coaches may be enough for CDC to leverage boosters into going for it now, instead of waiting due to apathy. Taking him from an in-state conference foe would just be a small bonus if we got him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It has nothing to do with  Tech specifically. No one thinks our basketball program is acceptable right now, but that’s different than ponying up roughly $20 million to fix it. Beard looking like an elite coach and having a history with UT that would make him more interested than most elite coaches may be enough for CDC to leverage boosters into going for it now, instead of waiting due to apathy. Taking him from an in-state conference foe would just be a small bonus if we got him.

This contradicts what several of your fellow UT fans just stated, quite clearly.  

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Your inferiority complex about all this is truly astounding and overshadows pretty much everything you post.

Nailed it

I don't think the right pitch is necessarily "do you want to get clowned by that dipshit Tech grad at your board meetings?"

I think it's more along the lines of "we talk all the time about whether or not we could ever land a blue blood coach, and frankly, that list hasn't changed much in years, except they're all getting too old to change jobs.  Chris Beard has shown as much promise as any young coach in the country -- yes, more than Shaka, because his philosophy is built on old-school principles that are playing out well in front of our eyes -- and so if you ever want to develop a blue blood program, this guy is probably about as good as anyone who has shown up on the radar since Bill Self".

Regardless of the silly "sunk cost" argument (yeah, we have to pay $12M to Shaka one way or another, but we can certainly choose the option in which we pay no MORE over the next 4 years, or not), I can see where a few donors might see this as the opportunity that just can't be missed.  Is there a max?  Sure.  Is it higher than Tech's?  Maybe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Beard is a pipe dream at this point. Tech will not let him go and frankly is in position to outbid us, easily. Beard is likely staying put, and Hocutt/boosters will ensure it. If he doesn’t stay put, he’ll go to UCLA. 

UCLA just threw $8m/year at Calipari. If they throw even half of that at Beard, Tech is going to have to up their salary offer even more than they expected.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If they throw half of that at Beard, they’d meet it in a heartbeat. They’d meet what people here deem to be a ridiculous figure for Tech basketball. 

That's ok, Jay Wright needs to be the #1 choice for Del Conte.

It’s really up to Texas. Who do they want to be? Beard represents a rare opportunity, a proven commodity in a Power 5 that is young and a step down the pecking order.

Then again, he’s not the only guy that can coach basketball. So who do you want to be as a program?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-basketball-cronin-dixon-calipari-20190401-story.html

UCLA's top two targets seem to be Dixon and Cronin. Of note, Shaka is listed as a fallback option.

Spoiler

The Bruins are also considering St. Mary’s coach Randy Bennett, Texas coach Shaka Smart and former Phoenix Suns coach and UCLA alumnus Earl Watson as fallback options, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation.

R. Bennett is intriguing to me.  he's not a flash like Shaka and has been trying to beat Few in what is generally a one bid league but even when he makes the NIT he doesn't go anywhere so I think he is a pass.

Ben Howland probably has the best resume of a guy that is potentially available. the end of the UCLA stint is weird but he's slowly built Miss St to respectability. he's 61 but hey isn't that the new 51?

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Cronin and Dixon are good coaches but UCLA has fallen off the map if that's the best they can pull. 

That is really depressing.  Dixon I could handle, though.  

52c7aecca3eac0ec4f894ce7fd1fce19.jpg

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Skipper said:

I don't disagree.   Unless he just really prefers to coach at UT/live in Austin.   There isn't any amount of money Tech could throw at ME that makes Lubbock a nice place to live 

FIFY.  Very important distinction.  He's lived there 14 years now.

I think Cronin would have UCLA replete with Kenyon Martin types who would bully the shit out of the rest of the PAC in no time. I think he'd win there and do alright, so long as you can stomach scoring 68 ppg.

Edited by Goo Punch

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I think Cronin would have UCLA replete with Kenyon Martin types who would bully the shit out of the rest of the PAC in no time. I think he'd win there and do alright, so long as you can stomach scoring 68 ppg.

I like Cronin but his tournament resume is bad. He's only advanced past the 2nd round one time in 13 years at Cincinnati and that was only a Sweet 16 appearance. 

I actually think he's similar to Barnes but a worse version. He's the exact type coach set up for failure at UCLA. They will go crazy over a coach that gets bounced early in the tournament.  

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

The hurdle for Cronin at UCLA (or really any school that relies on west coast kids) is the talent out west is notoriously difficult to deal with and really impressed with themselves, beyond what is even expected in this day and age.  They're anything but what Cronin is used to at Cincinnati. It's part of why Howland, Sean Miller, and even Alford's tenures out west were so up and down. Shit, Oregon, Washington, & Arizona St constantly exhibit dramatic up and downs for a variety of coaches that have worked those respective schools.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

This shit fucking sucks.  I've resigned myself to hoping that CDC has done a thorough evaluation of the program and has come to the conclusion that Shaka is the best person to lead team.  It's a thin thread of hope, but it's all I got.

10 hours ago, destroya said:

This shit fucking sucks.  I've resigned myself to hoping that CDC has done a thorough evaluation of the program and has come to the conclusion that Shaka is the best person to lead team.  It's a thin thread of hope, but it's all I got.

Actually that is what I fear the most. I would almost rather CDC just say we are too poor to fire Shaka and have to keep him for 3 more years so we can afford the next guy. If he really thinks Shaka is the best the program can do...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, destroya said:

JFC. That's a much worse event than not ponying up the money to get Beard and having our basketball program be solidly in the red for the next four years. The fact that you consider that a hope is just ridiculous.

25 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Actually that is what I fear the most. I would almost rather CDC just say we are too poor to fire Shaka and have to keep him for 3 more years so we can afford the next guy. If he really thinks Shaka is the best the program can do...

You need to just step away from the keyboard and this thread for a little while. There is no chance in hell CDC actually believes Shaka is the best person to lead this program next year. 

8 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Looks like the current available crop of coaches is pretty weak. I agree with a poster earlier in that I could stomach another of Shaka if it meant Donovan were in play next year (I’d take Donovan over Beard if I had the choice).

The timing for hiring NBA coaches doesn't really work if they're in playoff contention due to them not leaving their jobs until well after the college hiring season is in full swing. It becomes a lot more feasible if the NBA team is tanking and/or the coach is actively wanting out. I would be all for hiring Donovan if he's on the market, but thus far that seems a lot more like a fever dream than a plausible candidate. Maybe 12 months from now the situation is a lot different and it makes more sense.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic