Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

On 3/25/2018 at 10:57 AM, smokebomb said:

Wulaw Horn said it best to start the original thread:

Very sad to see that that over a year later, the above is still very much true.

Yeah- do I posted this 4 years ago on the shag and everyone roasted me (except maybe Derka). 
the only other post I got roasted as much was my post saying it was Lebrons league, for good and ill in 2010. What’s that show?  That we’ve got some dumb motherfuckers that don’t know hoops associated with this school. 

Just now, crash_davis said:

He just wont the big 12. He's not getting fired. Did just enough to save his ass for another year. Another year that I will not watch one single UT basketball game. After watching the first half, and 3 minutes into the 2nd, I turned off the TV. Same bullshit undisciplined half court offense. There was probably a 8 minute stretch where the ball was never past to a guy in a post position. Just 4 dudes dribbling around the 3 point line and then jacking up a jumpshot. 

The same exact shit from the first year of Shaka's offense. The SAME exact shit for most all of Barne's tenure. 

it is quite possible that given his contract structure and that we just got done pouring over the Eyes of Texas commission report...that it's just not feasible to terminate him this immediate off-season.  There is a 50/50 chance he's back.  But we're about to see a half-dozen guys declare early, transfer, and drop their commitments.  We're lucky to win 10 fucking games next year with this fraudulent assclown.

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think so. At least from a stars perspective. Maybe not fit for what he wants to do. But I don’t think he knows what he wants to do, so who can know for sure. 

Gotta disagree. 
Barnes top 4- KD, TJ, Lamarcus, and DJ Augustin

Shakas top 4- Bamba, Turner, Brown, Hayes?

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

He has two more years of guaranteed pay. In all likelihood, he keeps coaching even as a lame duck coach. Are boosters going to pony up for basketball right after the seismic payouts in football? I doubt it. Texas isn't a men's basketball school.

It’s not a women’s basketball school either...

Just now, Don Hornleone said:

Gotta disagree. 
Barnes top 4- KD, TJ, Lamarcus, and DJ Augustin

Shakas top 4- Bamba, Turner, Brown, Hayes?

It’s not even close. The Shaka as a great recruiter narrative isn’t backed up by the data or the eye test.

• Like 1

Can we all agree that just about any decent coach could be considered a good recruiter at Texas?  Who was the last coach at Texas who had trouble recruiting.. Kaiser Bob?  Seriously.  The university, the city of Austin, they do a good job by themselves, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

He just wont the big 12. He's not getting fired. Did just enough to save his ass for another year. Another year that I will not watch one single UT basketball game. After watching the first half, and 3 minutes into the 2nd, I turned off the TV. Same bullshit undisciplined half court offense. There was probably a 8 minute stretch where the ball was never past to a guy in a post position. Just 4 dudes dribbling around the 3 point line and then jacking up a jumpshot. 

The same exact shit from the first year of Shaka's offense. The SAME exact shit for most all of Barne's tenure. 

A one point win over Tech, forfeit over Kansas, and a solid win over Okie lite will save his job despite this?  This is the most talented team he will ever coach at Texas. This is the best it will ever get with him. How can an AD know that and think, "I'll give this ass clown one more year to change my mind."

What a fucking embarrassment.

I was at dinner and only watched the 2nd half....was Greg Brown hurt?  Why didn't he play?

I mean getting killed on the glass by a team from the Southland Conference..figured you could have used a guy most project as a lottery pick in the NBA?

1 minute ago, Sock Monkey said:

A one point win over Tech, forfeit over Kansas, and a solid win over Okie lite will save his job despite this?  This is the most talented team he will ever coach at Texas. This is the best it will ever get with him. How can an AD know that and think, "I'll give this ass clown one more year to change my mind."

It’s easier to fire a coach you didn’t originally hire. It’s a no-brainer if CDC can suck someone off for the buyout. 

• immamac pinned and featured this topic

Whatever I might have felt about Shaka and the players on this team died. Go back to VCU. You’re done in Austin. North Texas prob beats this team too along with just about every team in the tournament with a game plan. To think we were worried about seeding when they were going to lose no matter what.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Sure

No

Oh I like that

No

Jeff Van Gundy would be a fascinating hire. I could see him absolutely killing it here, or just not being able to recruit or relate. 
he has coached the US national team though with college guys, so maybe it wouldn’t be crazy. 
It would be something. 

• Like 1

I’m seeing the same BS on social media, “All the great ones has had losses like this. Coach K, Boeheim, Pitino all had early exits as a top 3 seed.” Yeah, but those are historically great coaches with multiple skins on the wall. Shaka’s riding that Final 4 wave from coast to coast, around the world and back.

This roster was built to contend. The last 2-3 years were spent leading up to this season and it still wasn't enough to do anything. Shaka has shown that he couldn't win with good freshmen/sophomores who would bolt to the NBA Draft. He has now proven that he can't win with an experienced lineup either

Just now, Mdhorn said:

Whatever I might have felt about Shaka and the players on this team died. Go back to VCU. You’re done in Austin. North Texas prob beats this team too along with just about every team in the tournament with a game plan. To think we were worried about seeding when they were going to lose no matter what.

Go back to VCU?.

Seriously, even they're laughing at us.

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Jeff Van Gundy would be a fascinating hire. I could see him absolutely killing it here, or just not being able to recruit or relate. 
he has coached the US national team though with college guys, so maybe it wouldn’t be crazy. 
It would be something. 

JVG knows his shit - hire some Jai Lucas to recruit and would be fine 

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

JVG knows his shit - hire some Jai Lucas to recruit and would be fine 

Yeah- if we made that hire I’d nod and say- OK, let’s see how this plays out. But it’d be a lot smarter to just hire Pitino or Beilien. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

19 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Rick Pitino

kelvin sampson

mike dantoni

jeff Van gundy

Good god your basketball takes are somehow worse than your football takes. We’d never hire Pitino. Sampson? Hahaha no. And no to the other 2. Go all in on Beard or Mussellman

Edited by Fletch
Drunk and shit
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

He just wont the big 12. He's not getting fired.

He will be.   The measuring stick is the NCAA Tournament.  Not just getting in it.   But winning in it.  You can't have an o-pher 6 years into your job and expect to keep it.

COVID saved Smart a year ago.   There's nothing to save him now.  He's gone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

That performance was humiliating. I watched enough games this year that if that was his peak roster (and it was for at least a few years), even with a once in a generation b12 tourny win, fire him. 

This was the peak. This was as good as it was going to get for him. And he played a motivational speaker instead of coaching. I almost hate him as much as Herman. Almost. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Good god your basketball takes are somehow worse than your basketball takes. We’d never hire Pitino. Sampson? Hahaha no. And no to the other 2. Go all in on Beard or Mussellman

We were all in on hiring Urban- is Pitino really more of a scumbag than him? (I agree with you that we’d never do it by the way, just asking. 
I’d say no to Sampson as well but he’d probably do really well here. 
I don’t think we could pull either Beard or Mussleman but if we could that’d be the place to start. 
his list isn’t likely but it is interesting in my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

This was the peak. This was as good as it was going to get for him. And he played a motivational speaker instead of coaching. I almost hate him as much as Herman. Almost. 

True in another sense as well. This game was Shaka's masterpiece for the ages, don't you think?

30 minutes ago, Sal said:

Kevin Durant, DJ Augustin, TJ Ford, Avery Bradley, among many others versus Greg Brown, Matt Coleman, and Mo Bamba. Shaka is not a better recruiter than Barnes. Just watch what will happen next year. It certainly can’t be called a reload under Shaka 

Shaka has recruited better than Barnes did; that's a fact. Barnes got TJ and KD, two players the likes of which Shaka has never gotten, but Shaka has been here six years and has three top 8 national classes and one top 12 national class- Barnes did not do that in 17 years at Texas. i mean it's honestly not even close. Counting Brown and Kai among Shaka's first four real classes, Shaka has brought in five NBA players in four classes. Again, when you extrapolate what Shaka has done in five classes vs what Barnes did in 16 classes, it is factually not even close. the main difference is that Barnes actually developed a bunch of his players. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We were all in on hiring Urban- is Pitino really more of a scumbag than him? (I agree with you that we’d never do it by the way, just asking. 
I’d say no to Sampson as well but he’d probably do really well here. 
I don’t think we could pull either Beard or Mussleman but if we could that’d be the place to start. 
his list isn’t likely but it is interesting in my opinion. 

Good point on the urban thing, and Herman was a huge piece of shit here. As big as Pitino? Idk. But let’s go ahead and keep it clean with Beard or Mussellman 

8 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

I’m seeing the same BS on social media, “All the great ones has had losses like this. Coach K, Boeheim, Pitino all had early exits as a top 3 seed.” Yeah, but those are historically great coaches with multiple skins on the wall. Shaka’s riding that Final 4 wave from coast to coast, around the world and back.

SHAKA hasn't won even one NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME AT TEXAS

Let that sink in...  A BIG FAT GOOSE EGG !!!

1 minute ago, Texas Sucks said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Texas SUUUUCKS!!! Enjoy that L, baby! Entitled d-bags thinking you own the world. Go ahead and drop millions to fire this coach and hire another one, too. Hahahahahahah

Y’all are hot garbage. Thanks for my entertainment for the night!

Dumb And Dumber Kool GIF

• Hook 'Em 1