Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

CDC set the standard:  top 10.

Tom Herman didn't make it -- fired.

Karen Aston didn't make it -- "not renewed".

Does anyone think Shaka Smart has this team anywhere close to the top 10?  No?  He's gone.

The idea that our boosters won't scrape together the $10M or whatever it is to buy out Shaka and staff is insane.  We are about to open a new arena.  Do you think anyone wants this toad gloating in all the marketing materials?  No fucking way.  He's gone.  Probably tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’d give my left nut for Pitino. Anyone on this board should. He would win a national title and possibly multiple before he retired. 

Maybe just stick to telling us how great Ramey is and how much you know about basketball because your son plays AAU. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

Shaka has recruited better than Barnes did; that's a fact. Barnes got TJ and KD, two player the likes of which Shaka has never gotten, but Shaka has been here six years and has three top 8 national classes and one top 12 national class- Barnes did not do that in 17 years at Texas. i mean it's honestly not even close. Counting Brown and Kai among Shaka's first four real classes, Shaka has brought in five NBA players in four classes. Again, when you extrapolate what Shaka has done in five classes vs what Barnes did in 16 classes, it is factually not even close. the main difference is that Barnes actually developed a bunch of his players. 

I think his take and yours both have truth to it. I’d side with you, probably but KD was #2 and Avery Bradley was #1 and TJ was top 5, so Barnes might win top end contest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/11/2021 at 10:37 AM, Machinator said:

Some, uh, interesting intel from Chip Brown (grain of salt and all that):

Hide contents

Texas basketball coach Shaka Smart has two years remaining on a guaranteed contract after this season that will pay him $3.5 million for the 2021-22 season and $3.6 million for the 2022-23 season.

A source close to Smart told Horns247 the six-year Texas coach with a record of 107-85 (.557) will be expecting a contract extension after this season, and if that doesn’t happen, Smart will listen to offers for other jobs.

A source close to Smart told Horns247 the six-year Texas coach with a record of 107-85 (.557) will be expecting a contract extension after this season, and if that doesn’t happen, Smart will listen to offers for other jobs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah I think he's gone. CDC just made a great hire with Sark who is doing all the right things. Pierce has the baseball team on the upswing.... Shaka just lost to an 8th grade team. Again. 

No offense but Sark is a complete unknown. People on TOS were jerking themselves off to Herman 4 years ago when his record was 0-0 as well. 

I’d give my left nut for Pitino. Anyone on this board should. He would win a national title and possibly multiple before he retired. 

Yeah I’m kinda conflicted. He’d kill it here but he’s not exactly our type of guy. Or at least not the kind of guy we typically hire with “honor and integrity”(or so we tell ourselves)

Just now, clapclapclap said:

The Greatest Showman Lol GIF by Sky

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Gotta disagree. 
Barnes top 4- KD, TJ, Lamarcus, and DJ Augustin

Shakas top 4- Bamba, Turner, Brown, Hayes?

in terms of recruiting class rankings and average stars it's not really close. Barnes was here for 17 years and didn't have four top 12 national recruiting classes, or three top 8 recruiting classes. Shaka has done that in six years here. and again, we are likely to add more players to his next class, which would move it up the rankings and likely into the top 10. maybe Barnes had a better eye for who was legit and who wasn't, but when it comes to the actual HS rankings it's Shaka > Barnes.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

The idea that our boosters won't scrape together the $10M or whatever it is to buy out Shaka and staff is insane.  We are about to open a new arena.  Do you think anyone wants this toad gloating in all the marketing materials?  No fucking way.  He's gone.  Probably tomorrow.

Correct.

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There were plenty of morons on here doing it last week. 

I had hope. Winning our first big 12 championship tournament seemed like a good thing, as did getting hot at the right time of year. How many had Texas in their brackets going farther? This team has legit talent, surely they could play to their strengths despite coaching, right? You’re going to tell me you didn’t harbor hope? I did. Seems like the odds were bound to finally play in Texas favor but nope, chance favors a prepared team (mind) and this shit was not prepared. Find where we all said extend Shaka or keep him on? Said nobody but sure, let’s call anybody that defended finally winning something as morons.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I had hope. Winning our first big 12 championship tournament seemed like a good thing, as did getting hot at the right time of year. How many had Texas in their brackets going farther? This team has legit talent, surely they could play to their strengths despite coaching, right? You’re going to tell me you didn’t harbor hope? I did. Seems like the odds were bound to finally play in Texas favor but nope, chance favors a prepared team (mind) and this shit was not prepared. Find where we all said extend Shaka or keep him on? Said nobody but sure, let’s call anybody that defended finally winning something as morons.

That’s not who was being talked about. Go read the post a couple dozen up from yours with the receipts. 

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

Ramey is a good player. He is poorly coached and is left to do all kinds of wild ass shit. Pitino to Texas would be fantastic. 

I’ll be in Vegas in July with my son’s team. Will be at The Wynn. I’ll be the guy at the pool with a cabana with all the hot bitches around me. Come find me. We’ll do some outdoor gaming.  

He made one more shot than I did tonight on 7 attempts. He fucking sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Flipping through some past posts - reminded myself that by 2018 Shaka had broken me to the point where I was barely a fan of Texas basketball anymore. Something that I loved growing up and really cherished, that led to my irrational, well-documented love of KD and after 3 years of Shaka I decided "fuck this shit I don't want it anymore". 

I'm sure that makes me a shitty fan to some degree, oh well. I got drawn back in this year and starting doing stupid things again like hoping maybe it was different and that I was wrong about him as a coach and then Texas goes on national TV in the tournament against some shitty Christian school from the armpit of Texas that they should dust by 30 points and Shaka pulls his dick out and waves it in my face laughing about how I was right all along and I'm such a stupid motherfucker for ever trusting anything good would happen with him at the helm of Texas basketball. 

What an exhausting, pointless, waste of 6 years under this guy that I really, really hope comes to an end very soon. It's insane to think about how much of the fanbase he has alienated over that time to where we have posters coming in the game thread readily admitting they have barely watched a game in 2 years. That says barely anything about their fandom and everything about the embarassing dogshit product we have had to suffer through under Shaka. Much like Charlie with football - he took what should have been the absolute floor for Texas basketball and managed to jackhammer it to new depths. And then - in his best season in six fucking tries in a sport where it can take as few as 2-3 years to almost completely rebuild- Texas couldn't even win a motherfucking tournament game against a fucking 13 seed. 

I mean - Jesus H. Christ. Enough of this guy. It was enough 3 years and 2 years and a year ago and we keep spinning an all-red roulette wheel hoping maybe it lands on black this time. He's a failure at Texas and always will be. I think he's a good guy - and he had some moments this year - but this just doesn't cut it. Nothing he's done at Texas besides win a flukey B12 tourney has ever cut it. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Ramey is a good player. He is poorly coached and is left to do all kinds of wild ass shit. Pitino to Texas would be fantastic. 

I’ll be in Vegas in July with my son’s team. Will be at The Wynn. I’ll be the guy at the pool with a cabana with all the hot bitches around me. Come find me. We’ll do some outdoor gaming.  

Yeah, but all our players are poorly coached and they don't shit the bed half as much as Ramey.

• Like 1

The money Shaka's owed ($7M) isn't that much anymore, compared to what it was a couple years ago when we should have moved on.

There's no Urban Meyer for everyone to coalesce around like there was for football (no, Chris Beard isn't the equivalent), we're much more apathetic about this sport, and on balance we're a less informed fanbase when it comes to basketball with the attention span of a gnat.

On the other side of the ledger, we embarrassed ourselves in the largest way on national TV (with no other games to distract people), we allegedly have people in leadership positions who care more about good athletics than their predecessors, and a brand new arena on the way that I'm sure UT wants to be able to market season tickets for.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

Sims had 3 shots tonight.  3.  And he made them all.

Smart should be canned for this alone.

It's just astonishing.  I kept texting my BIL in complete outrage about how we couldn't go up, over, and inside against the cast of "How To Eat Fried Worms", and it just kept playing out, over and over.

I mean, I'm an idiot, and a horrible athlete, and all I ever did "well" was bowl and wrestle, but Jesus Mary & Joseph the key to the Enigma Machine known as Abilene Christian Men's Basketball was cracked simultaneously by myself and approximately 20M viewers.

Furk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Texas Sucks said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Texas SUUUUCKS!!! Enjoy that L, baby! Entitled d-bags thinking you own the world. Go ahead and drop millions to fire this coach and hire another one, too. Hahahahahahah

Y’all are hot garbage. Thanks for my entertainment for the night!

Guy's probably just butt hurt about a couple of walk-ons that fucked his girlfriend back in '97 or something I'm guessing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t think we could pull either Beard or Mussleman but if we could that’d be the place to start. 

Tceh may be less pressure than UT, but otherwise why wouldn't he come here?  Easier to recruit, new arena, bigger spotlight.  I keep reading that he went to Lubbock because his daughters are nearby.  But where exactly?  I read a few hours drive away.  Unless Amarillo, Austin probably isn't much further away.  Surely we can convince a BMD to fund plane trips if it means getting one of the biggest names in the sport.  It may not be football, but those BMD's will still catch hell next week from their buddies from rival schools.

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He made one more shot than I did tonight on 7 attempts. He fucking sucks. 

I don't know the stats, but I would bet good money that we win when Ramey is on and we lose when he isn't.  He bailed us out a few times this year, and he was a complete drag in a few losses.

And holy shit at some of you somehow making this about Ramey or veering off topic to debate his merits. Who cares. Ramey is what he is - and whatever that is isn't even remotely close to the issue with Texas basketball. I said multiple times in the game thread that this loss is 100% in no way on any player and it isn't. It is 100% on the inept fucking head coach. 

• Like 1

Steve Fucking Patterson.  CDC has one move to completely and finally rid us of that fucking shitstain.  my god, Charlie Strong and Shaka Smart.  you would have to try really fucking hard to hire 2 worse coaches...and we did because we are fucking idiots.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

And holy shit at some of you somehow making this about Ramey or veering off topic to debate his merits. Who cares. Ramey is what he is - and whatever that is isn't even remotely close to the issue with Texas basketball. I said multiple times in the game thread that this loss is 100% in no way on any player and it isn't. It is 100% on the inept fucking head coach. 

agreed.  Ramey is only a problem in that we have to play him.  he should be the 7th or 8th guy off the bench on a real team.  Its not his fault he has a scholarship to play basketball at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's just astonishing.  I kept texting my BIL in complete outrage about how we couldn't go up, over, and inside against the cast of "How To Eat Fried Worms", and it just kept playing out, over and over.

I mean, I'm an idiot, and a horrible athlete, and all I ever did "well" was bowl and wrestle, but Jesus Mary & Joseph the key to the Enigma Machine known as Abilene Christian Men's Basketball was cracked simultaneously by myself and approximately 20M viewers.

Furk. 

maybe Sims shouldn't play like a pussy half the time and maybe stop bringing the ball down to his fucking ankles after every offensive rebound.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

agreed.  Ramey is only a problem in that we have to play him.  he should be the 7th or 8th guy off the bench on a real team.  Its not his fault he has a scholarship to play basketball at Texas.

Ramey has a lot of qualities that could've been maximized by a real coach. 

Just now, hookem48 said:

maybe Sims shouldn't play like a pussy half the time and maybe stop bringing the ball down to his fucking ankles after every offensive rebound.

So that's your justification for poor shooters bombing away from long distance?

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Barnes almost assuredly had 3 top 8 classes.   The LaMarcus Aldridge, Daniel Gibson, Mike Williams and Dion Dowell class was way up there.  So was the KD, DJ Augustin, Damion James, Dexter Pittman and Justin Mason class.   So was Avery Bradley, Jordan Hamilton and whoever else.  And the Kabongo, Sheldon McClellan + like 5 others.  And Tristan Thompson and Corey Joseph. 

Barnes had more NBA players from Texas at one point in the late 2000s / early 2010s than schools like Kansas, Michigan State and Kentucky had.   And basically all of them were big recruits except Royal Ivey.

again, i (pretty much) don't dispute this (i didn't think he ever had four top 12 classes, but i could be wrong), but my point is that brining in four top 12 classes in six years (so, five Shaka Smart classes) extrapolates to being even better than what Barnes did. is five classes too small a sample size? maybe, considering that if we multiplied it by three that it would come out to 12 top-12 classes in 15 years, but that right there is essentially my point: four top 12 classes in your first five classes at Texas is un-fucking-real. i don't have a problem agreeing with a post like yours, but surely you can see why i'm saying that, after his first five classes, Shaka has recruited even better than Barnes did. 

Edited by shadow_operative

31 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Go back to VCU?.

Seriously, even they're laughing at us.

How many final fours does vcu have?  How many coaches could take vcu that far? Luck? How many coaches can be lucky that far? That team was struck by lightning. He likely won’t do it again so they shouldn’t take him back. And other mid tier teams can’t afford him. So, hopefully a team out west wants him because he’s done at Texas. Hope in Austin is all gone for even winning a tournament game and that’s a special kind of futility. 

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

again, i (pretty much) don't dispute this (i didn't  think he ever had four top 12 classes, but i could be wrong), but my point is that brining in four top 12 classes in six years (so, five Shaka Smart classes) extrapolates to being even better than what Barnes did. is five classes too small a sample size? maybe, considering that if we multiplied it by three that it would come out to 12 top-12 classes in 15 years, but that right there is essentially my point: four top 12 classes in your first five classes at Texas is un-fucking-real. i don't have a problem agreeing with a post like yours,  it surely you can see why i'm saying that, after his first five classes, Shaka has recruited even better than Barnes did. 

Off topic but when do you think @greggym is gonna come in here and shit on you while praising Shaka and telling us how it’s really about the experience, not the results?

• Haha 2