Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

SIAP but needs repeating:

"Going into the first-round game, none of these teams (that were upset) could say they didn’t have time to prepare. They had time to prepare," Bilas said Sunday on ESPN's College GameDay. "If this was a second game, then maybe they didn’t have time. Texas had plenty of time to prepare. And they played teams that press before, that get up into them and all of that. They turned it over 23 times. They gave up 18 offensive rebounds, and they gave up 27 more shot attempts to Abilene Christian.

"That’s not an art thing. That’s a ‘getting your butt kicked’ thing. Maybe they got fouled at the end, but they did not do what it takes to win in that game. They put themselves in that position."

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Why do you "like" him....?

It’s not that hard to separate the man from the coach.

He’s a fine person. By all accounts, people love him and his players love him. He doesn’t embarrass the school with personal issues, like hookers or fucking chicks at Italian restaurants or being caught on tape offering money for players.  He doesn’t condescend the fuck out of the fan base with arrogance and being a general dick. 

He’s a bad coach. Charlie was a bad coach but by all accounts, a good human being. Tom was a shit coach and a shittier person. 

We aren’t firing Shaka the person. Just Shaka the shitty coach. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

Which was what?  Why does anyone need to explain to you why someone likes something?

What a fucking weird thing to ask someone

OK, fine. 

You went on and on and fucking on about how much you "like" a coach you've apparently never met. When I asked why, you gave me an insipid word salad of meaningless motivational-poster nonsense. You like him because you think he's a great dude. Awesome, man. You liked how his teams played six fucking years ago, amazing. You want someone who coaches Texas basketball to succeed-- what a novel concept. 

That is precisely the kind of reasoning I would expect from someone who in 2021 says they "like" Shaka Smart. 

I despise him because he's a shitty basketball coach who's lingered too long and needs to be fired.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Hook 'Em 1

The "UT is racist for firing Shaka" will be a talking point assigned to some ESPN asshole on one of those argument shows. Said ESPN asshole won't even believe what he's been told to say, and he will get his ass handed to him, and that will be the extent of the OMG UT SO RACIST angle. If it even gets that far. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

MOODY_CENTER_WEST_ENTRANCE_HIRES.jpg?wid

The Moody Center, the University of Texas' future $338 million basketball arena, is slated to open in 2022. 

So Shaka will be here one more year. The excitement of a new coach and a new arena will be fully exploited by CDC and the Texas brass.

Counterpoint: you don’t want the inaugural season to be a transition year, which is bound to be rocky. New head coach excitement alone isn’t enough to keep butts in seats. It’s basketball. If we’re a  .500 type team or worse, attendance will take a hit.

You want the new guy to have momentum going into 2022, which is why it’s absolutely imperative to make the move now.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

The "UT is racist for firing Shaka" will be a talking point assigned to some ESPN asshole on one of those argument shows. Said ESPN asshole won't even believe what he's been told to say, and he will get his ass handed to him, and that will be the extent of the OMG UT SO RACIST angle. If it even gets that far. 

No it won’t. Stop with this shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

OK, fine. 

You went on and on and fucking on about how much you "like" a coach you've apparently never met. When I asked why, you gave me an insipid word salad of meaningless motivational-poster nonsense. You like him because you think he's a great dude. Awesome, man. You liked how his teams played six fucking years ago, amazing. You want someone who coaches Texas basketball to succeed-- what a novel concept. 

That is precisely the kind of reasoning I would expect from someone who in 2021 says they "like" Shaka Smart. 

I despise him because he's a shitty basketball coach who's lingered too long and needs to be fire.

Lol ok, ill be sure to never "like" someone again until I meet them in person.  Thanks for the talk, Dad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

SIAP but needs repeating:

"Going into the first-round game, none of these teams (that were upset) could say they didn’t have time to prepare. They had time to prepare," Bilas said Sunday on ESPN's College GameDay. "If this was a second game, then maybe they didn’t have time. Texas had plenty of time to prepare. And they played teams that press before, that get up into them and all of that. They turned it over 23 times. They gave up 18 offensive rebounds, and they gave up 27 more shot attempts to Abilene Christian.

"That’s not an art thing. That’s a ‘getting your butt kicked’ thing. Maybe they got fouled at the end, but they did not do what it takes to win in that game. They put themselves in that position."

Bilas feeling big stupid right now for picking Texas to make the FF. Lol 

Maybe he’ll tone down the Shaka stanning on broadcasts from now on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Lol ok!!!!!

I'm not telling you how to think or feel. I'm telling you what it looks like to other people. Do what you want.

What a weird thing to be mad about. You're upset that the guy said he likes Shaka and you've gone on and on about it for multiple pages, in a borderline-neurotic way. You're acting like a clown and a weirdo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

I like Shaka as a person.   

I still like Shaka,  

So, you like "like him, like him"???

Edited by Lobo

14 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Counterpoint: you don’t want the inaugural season to be a transition year, which is bound to be rocky. New head coach excitement alone isn’t enough to keep butts in seats. It’s basketball. If we’re a  .500 type team or worse, attendance will take a hit.

You want the new guy to have momentum going into 2022, which is why it’s absolutely imperative to make the move now.

girl-crossed-fingers.jpg

34 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

MOODY_CENTER_WEST_ENTRANCE_HIRES.jpg?wid

The Moody Center, the University of Texas' future $338 million basketball arena, is slated to open in 2022. 

So Shaka will be here one more year. The excitement of a new coach and a new arena will be fully exploited by CDC and the Texas brass.

I feel like no one cares that the red headed chick wearing black and white is stealing a bicycle. That’s a metaphor for something...I know it! 

32 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Seriously, this media will call us racist strawman is stupid is fuck. The guy got 6 years, it's not a factor.

It will probably happen.  It's clickbait.  ESPN may be the most clickbaity outlet there is.

That doesn't mean it's accurate or any reason not to fire Shaka.

Even without the EOT issue, or "wokeness," or "cancel culture" or whatever, UT has a disgraceful history of racism and, beyond that, is the school everyone loves to hate.  So you know someone is going to play the race card in this deal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We have had far too many coaches take our piles of money and wipe their asses with it. Enough!

O/T I see you Loyola Chicago! Keep kicking some ass! 

Porter Moser is a good coach and has done a nice job the last few years, especially in the post season. He'd be an upgrade to Shaka... then again who wouldn't? 

Edited by Mo Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

We’re Texas! We don’t make coaching hire mistakes! We don’t make AD hiring mistakes. Really we are trend setters. Think about it...we probably have super secret insider information that all college sports will end in a few years. So we are just phasing out by fucking up loyal fans and their desire to support UT athletics and instead getting them to be apathetic and to support other UT endeavors. 

such a crock of shit! If we are worried about the race angle hire someone who is neither black nor white. 

1 hour ago, DiceHands said:

However, Shaka never brought that same passion or intensity that he had at VCU to Texas.

I’ve always kinda felt this is a Texas “country club” culture thing. I kinda feel like coaches make it here and feel as though they don’t have to try as hard because they’re at Texas. Almost like the talent, resources, etc is gonna take care of everything.

I think the asst coaching hires by Strong and Herman are evidence of that. Shawn Watson, Vance Bedford, Tim Beck, and Todd Orlando were the coordinators those two coaches came to Texas with. 

Just like with football, I’m pretty much over the up-and-comer, media-darling, mid-major coach. I’ll take Rick fuckin Pitino and all his baggage at this point

The capital stack for the new Moody Center has some interesting flexibility baked into it.  Aside from the heavily restricted gift by the Moody Foundation, there's an opportunity left in there for some of the liquidity from ubsub-debt to mezz to straight equity to free up a few million, still give those donors/investors their previously promised terms and cash out Shaka.  Since at this point, he's a straight liability to the opening of the facility...more than construction delays, cost overruns, or Covid.  

Hopefully the prospect of an essentially empty new basketball stadium will get CDC and the big cigars to “find” some money to dump this loser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We have had far too many coaches take our piles of money and wipe their asses with it. Enough!

Agreed. I know the huge salaries with little incentives and huge buy outs has become “what it takes” to get a good coach, and they regurgitate some shit about the school having to show confidence in them, but how about they show confidence in themselves by having more of their money tied to earned incentives and/or smaller buy outs. If you really are a great coach and it just doesn’t work out, you’re going to get hired by someone else quickly. If you are afraid that won’t happen, it’s probably a clue that you are an imposter and need a retirement check if/when you get fired/exposed. See: Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. 

I don’t get too worked up because it’s not my cigar money, but I feel like that money could be better spent on UT athletics or academics than paying out shitty coaches to leave after overpaying the previous X years while they were actively sucking. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

CDC set the standard:  top 10.

Tom Herman didn't make it -- fired.

Karen Aston didn't make it -- "not renewed".

Does anyone think Shaka Smart has this team anywhere close to the top 10?  No?  He's gone.

The idea that our boosters won't scrape together the $10M or whatever it is to buy out Shaka and staff is insane.  We are about to open a new arena.  Do you think anyone wants this toad gloating in all the marketing materials?  No fucking way.  He's gone.  Probably tomorrow.

Yeah I don’t think our boosters care enough about basketball to scrape together $10MM to buy out these contracts. The sport just isn’t that important to make a change.

Just now, Run Run Run Punt said:

Yeah I don’t think our boosters care enough about basketball to scrape together $10MM to buy out these contracts. The sport just isn’t that important to make a change.

It's $7M, and if he gets hired elsewhere, it might be lower.

• Hook 'Em 1

By comparison college basketball is far more progressive than college football. Black coaches get fired, 'leave' all the time relatively speaking in basketball. Race won't be a part of this. Six years of suck speaks for itself. If Shaka stays it will be because of the decision makers stupidity and incompetence. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Agreed. I know the huge salaries with little incentives and huge buy outs has become “what it takes” to get a good coach, and they regurgitate some shit about the school having to show confidence in them, but how about they show confidence in themselves by having more of their money tied to earned incentives and/or smaller buy outs. If you really are a great coach and it just doesn’t work out, you’re going to get hired by someone else quickly. If you are afraid that won’t happen, it’s probably a clue that you are an imposter and need a retirement check if/when you get fired/exposed. See: Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. 

You don't have to convince yourself of this, you have to do convince the ADs at all of the other schools we'll be competing against for coaching talent. Because that strategy starts to leak oil when you're the only school expecting to hire that way. 

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Kelvin Sampson checks all the boxes

Resurrected his career under Mike Dantoni, now has UH rolling as a #2 seed

The University of Texas would be more embarrassed to have Kelvin Sampson as a coach than it is about last night's loss to Abilene Christian.

Kelvin Sampson, like Rick Pitino, is a non-starter because of his past with the NCAA.