Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Look, I’m as pro-Black, rooting for erreybody Black type.  I’m pro “us.”

This whole race thing will NOT be a fucking narrative.  I think some posters want media to play the race card so they can say “see I told you!”  If Texas fired Shaka after 2-3 years, then yeah that card would 100% be played and arguments could be had that race was a factor. 

But year 6?  Nah, bruh.  That won’t be a storyline because we have 6 years of proof to show why he should be fired including the best team he’s ever had at Texas that just lost to a fucking Southland school that was playing D2 ball less than 10 years ago. 

It's just my cynicism toward the media.  The longer I think about it, the more I can see an article:  Can a Black Coach Succeed at The University of Texas?

And it won't claim Shaka was fired because he's black, but it wlll ask if there's something peculiar going on in Austin, Texas.

And it might be an interesting and provocative article, even without "Black" in the title.  Lord knows we've speculated that there's something systemically wrong with UT Athletics for the last 10-15 years or so.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The longer I think about it, the more I can see an article:  Can a Black Coach Succeed at The University of Texas?

And it won't claim Shaka was fired because he's black, but it wlll ask if there's something peculiar going on in Austin, Texas.

I think this will definitely happen.

We're about to fire a black coach who's a helluva nice guy and good with the media for the second time in just a few years.  And in each case, he was our first black coach in that sport.  I'm not saying it's right, because both of those coaches sucked dog dicks at, ya know, coaching, but it's going to be talked about, a lot, in the media.

And I really don't care.  I accepted a long time ago that a lot of people are always going to hate us.  I just want to win again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's just my cynicism toward the media.  The longer I think about it, the more I can see an article:  Can a Black Coach Succeed at The University of Texas?

And it might be an interesting and provocative article, even without "Black" in the title.  Lord knows we've speculated that there's something systemically wrong with UT Athletics for the last 10-15 years or so.

Mack Brown was practically black and he did just fine, at least for a while. Don't forget he downloaded hours of hiphop onto his ipod. 50 cent and everything. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

The number of idiots here, who think that race or the very measly buyout will be any factor, astounds me. 

The race issue is absurd but as of about 30 minutes ago, you did not have the money lined up to pay the buyouts and money whip a big name coach. Measly is a matter of opinion of course but for the Texas staff it’s in the 8–10M range plus whatever buyout you pay for a big name coach. 

Herman was dead to the BMD’s and they would have paid twice the amount to get him to go away. That’s not the case yet with basketball. CDC is going to have to a little bit of selling in order for that to happen. 

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Texas Tribune already has the article written. 

23 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I think this will definitely happen.

We're about to fire a black coach who's a helluva nice guy and good with the media for the second time in just a few years.  And in each case, he was our first black coach in that sport.  I'm not saying it's right, because both of those coaches sucked dog dicks at, ya know, coaching, but it's going to be talked about, a lot, in the media.

And I really don't care.  I accepted a long time ago that a lot of people are always going to hate us.  I just want to win again.

He's had six fucking seasons to get his shit together.

He failed here. Time to move on.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Good God there are so many pussies in Texas fandom.

Yes, some people will try to paint it as racist and negative recruit based on the fact we fired a black coach. The proper response to that should be "so fucking what?" because that won't last long. If you hire the right coach and start winning while simultaneously producing NBA draft picks it won't matter if he's fucking purple.

Congratulations on pointing out the obvious that rivals and opponents will use anything they can possibly use to negative recruit against us. Now that everybody has a firm grasp of the obvious we can move forward to the part where it doesn't make a single bit of difference on how we should proceed because it don't make a shit.

Ah, quoting Bill Bradley when the referee asked whether he wanted heads or tails at the coin toss of the 1968 aggy game. Bradley said, "It don't make a shit." Apparently, he was right. The score was 35-14 'Horns. 

18 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He's had six fucking seasons to get his shit together.

He failed here. Time to move on.

This. Who cares if Shaka is black, brown, yellow or purple. It’s been six fucking years. Nothing to show for it and should have been fired 3-4 years ago.  People bringing race into this somehow are just straight up trolling. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1

crazy/painful: Shaka's 2011 VCU team never ever ever should have been given an at-large bid. that one decision by the 2011 Tourney Committee changed Shaka's life forever. Now, instead of being the coach at some middling Ohio Valley school, he's fleecing Texas for millions of dollars every year along with even more millions in buyout money. that one decision to let that shitty VCU team into the tourney changed everything for Shaka, and ultimately Texas Hoops as well. fucking hell that's depressing to think about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I look back to Pitino's first year at UK and his starting Center was 6-7 and he had Sutton holdovers Pelphrey,  Feldhaus, Woods and Farmer, yet he implemented his style of play no matter what and that team finished 14-14 with 2 wins over ranked teams Bama and a Chris Jackson/Shaq led LSU team.  They were affectionately called Pitino's Bombinos.  I seriously doubt any other coach replicates that and I remember PJ Carlisimo was a serious contender before RP came into the picture.  The following year he nabbed Mashburn and the rest is history they say. 

• Hook 'Em 1

crazy/painful: Shaka's 2011 VCU team never ever ever should have been given an at-large bid. that one decision by the 2011 Tourney Committee changed Shaka's life forever. Now, instead of being the coach at some middling Ohio Valley school, he's fleecing Texas for millions of dollars every year along with even more millions in buyout money. that one decision to let that shitty VCU team into the tourney changed everything for Shaka, and ultimately Texas Hoops as well. fucking hell that's depressing to think about. 

Wat? Pretty sure they justified themselves getting a bid.

It isn’t Shaka’s fault. It was Texas’ fault, for hiring that fraud Patterson. Everything he touched, turned to shit.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Pancho said:

It’s not just that Altman is 62 but it’s also that he’s at a program that is equal to Texas.  Why leave Oregon for Texas when Texas is just another Oregon? 

I get it, but why are people yelling about moneywhipping Underwood or Musselman, then?

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I get it, but why are people yelling about moneywhipping Underwood or Musselman, then?

Iv’e already explained why Underwood isn’t happening. 

Muss?  Arkansas is equal to Texas yes, but Muss is younger.  That’s one reason. Dana can retire at Oregon.  

With all of these upsets this tournament I am concerned that CDC will use the blanket excuse that COVID has screwed up the tournament so much that this years results shouldn’t be used against Shaka and he will take the cowards way out and give him one more year because of it.

Watched every minute of the first two days, haven't even bothered to turn on the TV today. FUCK YOU SHAKA SMART. For me, easily the most devastating loss for a UT squad since Bama in the Rose Bowl, but I'm a huge basketball fan (and way too emotional about this shit). Wouldn't be surprised if it has the same implications and the basketball program struggles for years to get out of the bottom third of the conference, unless we absolutely kill this next hire. Fire this motherfucker now.

If the guy CDC is going after is in the tourney, you won't hear anything until his team is done... He won't fire Shaka until he has something definitive from the new coach. I'd like to see them go after Greg McDermott, he's taken a lot of flak for using the P word, plantation, and my be looking to get out of Omaha.

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

The man's had twice as many years as Charlie Strong.  How??  He has a losing record in the conference.  He's never won a tournament game.  How did he ever get a fourth year, much less a fifth and a sixth?

In year 3, he lost his best player to cancer.

And, it's basketball.

Why not reach out Tom Izzo? I know it seems like an improbable hire but I think he makes sense for several reasons. He is already in the hall of fame and there is nothing more he can achieve at Michigan State that he already hasn't. His salary is not too high for Texas to beat (not sure about the buyout though). With the rise of Michigan, it will be harder for him to win the Big 10 and losing to Michigan more often than not won't sit well with their fanbase who might see him as someone who is past his prime ala Mack Brown. A fresh start somewhere else can do wonders for him.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Why not reach out Tom Izzo? I know it seems like an improbable hire but I think he makes sense for several reasons. He is already in the hall of fame and there is nothing more he can achieve at Michigan State that he already hasn't. His salary is not too high for Texas to beat (not sure about the buyout though). With the rise of Michigan, it will be harder for him to win the Big 10 and losing to Michigan more often than not won't sit well with their fanbase who might see him as someone who is past his prime ala Mack Brown. A fresh start somewhere else can do wonders for him.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

200w.gif.bd3142655cb8db4692137a529edea122.gif

4 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

And if that doesn't work out? Call Gregg Popovich. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

🙄

If he "feels no urgency," it's because the money isn't there.

Given that we have swallowed most or all of our capital projects pigs, and the Tom Herman pig, I think it's highly likely that the now manageable buyout is there.

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

And if that doesn't work out? Call Gregg Popovich. 

No, that is missing my point. Izzo seems like one of the legends who maybe obtainable given his current situation. Getting the right basketball HC is hard and nobody knows who would work out. I am just throwing out my observation. You may or may not agree just like other suggestions people are throwing out there.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

If he "feels no urgency," it's because the money isn't there.

Given that we have swallowed most or all of our capital projects pigs, and the Tom Herman pig, I think it's highly likely that the now manageable buyout is there.

I'm sure the money is there if he wants it. I just think they're going to be looking at timing. Unless you can get whoever you think is the absolute home run hire (for me this would be Beard only), as an AD, waiting a year might make sense. You don't really want to saddle your new HC with the shit show that next year will be, because then you're going to go into the new stadium coming off a bad year and no coaching change to give people hope and re-invigorate the fans.

Lots of moving pieces to that though. Who they think are the home run hires, our chances of getting them, and how secure CDC feels in his job. But I don't think it's at all a foregone conclusion that Shaka is gone. There's certainly the possibility they write it off to a weird Covid year and bad luck and hype the B12 "title". The die-hards won't like it but the general public will shrug and continue to not watch Texas Basketball and it won't much matter.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

This. Who cares if Shaka is black, brown, yellow or purple. It’s been six fucking years. Nothing to show for it and should have been fired 3-4 years ago.  People bringing race into this somehow are just straight up trolling. 

not when we live in a reality where Albert Sidney Johnston's statue is thrown out with Robert E. Lee's and the aggy sul ross statue stands,.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

I'm sure the money is there if he wants it. I just think they're going to be looking at timing. Unless you can get whoever you think is the absolute home run hire (for me this would be Beard only), as an AD, waiting a year might make sense. You don't really want to saddle your new HC with the shit show that next year will be, because then you're going to go into the new stadium coming off a bad year and no coaching change to give people hope and re-invigorate the fans.

The top priority should be building a winning program as soon as possible. The arena opening should not play a role. IMO, there is no home run hire like we perceived Urban Meyer to be in football. Musselman, Beard, and Underwood are probably your 1A, 1B, and 1C in some order, and they're probably bases-clearing triples. At the same time, no new elite candidate is going to emerge in one year, so putting a move off for that perfect coach is not worth it.

The only valid excuse is if the money is not there to make a top-shelf hire.

• Hook 'Em 2