Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’d be very shocked if Moser was doing interviews headed into the Sweet 16

Kind of like how Sark wasn't interviewing prior to the NC game...

Not hard to do an initial screen using a Zoom call.

(not saying this dude is correct in any fashion - just that it's certainly realistic that coaches are interviewing. not a big deal to take an hour out of your day)

Edited by The Dog

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

Got bored and looked up some Marquette message boards last night.  More of that fanbase is a fan of Shaka than I expected.  The latest was they were going hard after Moser, but if they like Shaka then...

giphy.gif

spacer.png

• Like 1

siap,  CDC's  40 Acres Insider     Read as you will ...

With the thrill of victory, we also experienced the agony of defeat last week. Saturday's Men's Basketball game was a heartbreaker as Coach Smart and our No. 9 Longhorns were stunned in the first round of the NCAA Tournament by Abilene Christian. It was a tough night all the way around as our Longhorns just couldn't find a groove, made far too many turnovers, and in the end came up one-point short, 53-52. Watching from Indy, it was just gut-wrenching seeing such a wonderful group of student-athletes experiencing such a disappointing end to a season that included so much success, like the Maui Invitational title (played in Asheville, N.C. due to the pandemic, of course), our first-ever Big 12 Tourney Championship, a No. 9 final ranking in the AP Poll and a 19-8 overall record. It was not how any of us wanted it to end and was so abruptly and truly devastating for us all, but like all competitors and those of us in athletics do, we must pick ourselves up off the mat, dust off and get back to work.

https://texassports.com/news/2021/3/24/forty-acres-insider-march-24.aspx

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, torre said:

With the thrill of victory, we also experienced the agony of defeat last week. Saturday's Men's Basketball game was a heartbreaker as Coach Smart and our No. 9 Longhorns were stunned in the first round of the NCAA Tournament by Abilene Christian. It was a tough night all the way around as our Longhorns just couldn't find a groove, made far too many turnovers, and in the end came up one-point short, 53-52. Watching from Indy, it was just gut-wrenching seeing such a wonderful group of student-athletes experiencing such a disappointing end to a season that included so much success, like the Maui Invitational title (played in Asheville, N.C. due to the pandemic, of course), our first-ever Big 12 Tourney Championship, a No. 9 final ranking in the AP Poll and a 19-8 overall record. It was not how any of us wanted it to end and was so abruptly and truly devastating for us all, but like all competitors and those of us in athletics do, we must pick ourselves up off the mat, dust off and get back to work.

image.png.bc69646387ee63f5cad5f00e3f0ef55d.png

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, torre said:

Seems like something Bill Little would write after the annual ass raping Mack Brown's teams would get from OUSux. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Cal to Texas? Now I've heard it all.

What did I say about getting Izzo or another legend? It's really not out of the realm of possibilities when you consider their goodwill in their current gigs may be in the way down. They can come here and build another top program without unrealistic expectation. Many of these hall of famers want to show it to the world that they still got it and they can do it anywhere. 

Doug Gottlieb was on a show talking about Marquette.  He was making the case that it's a great job.  Third biggest men's hoops budget behind Duke and Kentucky (no football so it's the premier school sport).  Reasonably easy to win conference in the Big East compared to P5 schools.  Home games in an NBA arena they share with the Bucks.

2 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Doug Gottlieb was on a show talking about Marquette.  He was making the case that it's a great job.  Third biggest men's hoops budget behind Duke and Kentucky (no football so it's the premier school sport).  Reasonably easy to win conference in the Big East compared to P5 schools.  Home games in an NBA arena they share with the Bucks.

Doowit

23 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

What did I say about getting Izzo or another legend? It's really not out of the realm of possibilities when you consider their goodwill in their current gigs may be in the way down. They can come here and build another top program without unrealistic expectation. Many of these hall of famers want to show it to the world that they still got it and they can do it anywhere. 

That Cal rumor is the dumbest thing I’ve read. And that Twitter account was insanely wrong last year too. It’s garbage. We aren’t getting Izzo or Cal 

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That Cal rumor is the dumbest thing I’ve read. And that Twitter account was insanely wrong last year too. It’s garbage. We aren’t getting Izzo or Cal 

May not be one of those two but I think whenever CDC makes a change it's going to be a big time coach to help sell tickets.

Haven't really thought about it, not totally against Cal staying just wish his ass get back to his old self when he had a chip on his shoulder attitude.  I just think he coaches a garbage style given the recruits he gets, or used to get.  He's got his ring so now he seems more focus on Draft Night that a certain night in early April.  

1 hour ago, torre said:

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Underdog said:

Wojo?  Shaka?  Poor Al must be rolling over in his grave. 

Good reference.  One of my earliest college basketball memories was watching the final game, and Al crying on the bench.  I had never seen a man cry tears of joy before.   That, and then when he was incredibly over the top as the analyst next to Dick Enberg.  My favorite Al saying was “French pastry”....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Sampson got in trouble only for all the phone calls in dead periods at OU and IU right?  I don't think it was anything worse.  I wonder if we would consider him.

But wait, you mean replace Shaka? 

No, he’s such a great guy. Yes former Horns in the NBA may not think much of him and current players are hitting the portal but he really, really  is a great guy. 

• Haha 1

I forget that Smart lost his opening round tourney games in his last two seasons at VCU as well.  Making 8 consecutive seasons with no NCAA Tournament wins (5 1-and-dones and 2 years he didn't make it at all, and 1 Covid-19 cancellation, which he should be given a pass for).  But 5 first round exits, with 4 of those having his teams as the higher seed.  Shaka Smart's last NCAA Tournament win came this week...8 years ago.  In that timeframe, he has made over $20.0mm as a head coach at VCU and Texas.  No other coach in the nation has gone 8 years with 0 Tournament wins and made even close to half that amount.  

I think we have a new candidate for "FUPM" 

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Shaka Smart's last NCAA Tournament win came this week...8 years ago.

I was going to look that up. Incredible data point that should be spread until it's common knowledge. The last time he won a tournament game, Greg Brown was in elementary school. 

54 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I forget that Smart lost his opening round tourney games in his last two seasons at VCU as well.  Making 8 consecutive seasons with no NCAA Tournament wins (5 1-and-dones and 2 years he didn't make it at all, and 1 Covid-19 cancellation, which he should be given a pass for).  But 5 first round exits, with 4 of those having his teams as the higher seed.  Shaka Smart's last NCAA Tournament win came this week...8 years ago.  In that timeframe, he has made over $20.0mm as a head coach at VCU and Texas.  No other coach in the nation has gone 8 years with 0 Tournament wins and made even close to half that amount.  

I think we have a new candidate for "FUPM" 

Jarrett Allen

Mo Bamba

Jaxson Hayes

Greg Brown (most likely)

Kai Jones (sophomore, but I get your point). 

By "1-and-dones" when immediately preceded by the phrase 'NCAA Tournament Wins" is assumed to mean play one game, lose it, and are then done in the tournament........has nothing to do with early departures for the NBA Draft.    It's like "2-and-que" in the College Baseball Tournament/College World Series.  It means you made it in, played two games, lost both, and then headed to the parking lot for Omaha barbecue.  It does not refer to sophomores leaving the baseball team early to grill sausages and enter the MLB draft.