Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Dixon is a name that should be getting more discussion in this thread. And if Vegas was putting out odds, I'm guessing he'd be near the top. 

@2inDaPink1inDaStink why the fuck would Calipari come to Texas. Good Lord. This isn't the last pick at a Chinese Gift Exchange. 

No thanks on Dixon. Plus he played basketball at TCU. It's pretty much his dream job. 

14 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I thought Mussellman was your guy. You’ve been talking about Nevada the past 2 years.

I still like him a lot, and in fact this year Nevada is 23rd nationally in AdjD, so that's great to see from a guy who we know is a really good offensive coach. I think Hoiberg is probably the best available coach (that I know of) but I do question his commitment a little bit. I think Prohm/Musselman/Hoiberg would be my top three without much to separate them. Hoiberg seems like the surest bet, Musselman is a guy who I like as a person and who would bring a fun, uptempo style, and Prohm himself has coached some teams that are really fun to watch. I think any one of them would bring a lot of excitement to the program. 

Edited by Goo Punch

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dixon is a name that should be getting more discussion in this thread. And if Vegas was putting out odds, I'm guessing he'd be near the top. 

@2inDaPink1inDaStink why the fuck would Calipari come to Texas. Good Lord. This isn't the last pick at a Chinese Gift Exchange. 

I don't think he has any desire to leave TCU.

Hoiberg is a big unknown to me. He can coach. No doubt. But he also built his program on transfers. He also hated recruiting. The other thing that would be rumored is health problems but it was never expanded on. Almost like he had a built in excuse for retiring at any moment like urban uses. That is something that would be a red flag for me as it would be something he could lean on and just mail it in if he wasn’t getting what he needed from a fast results standpoint. 

Edited by Jhawk

Musselman seems like a good fit too since he loses his entire team after this year. If he were to come here and have us in the top 25 in AdjD then he would be a slam dunk, and we would be playing an enjoyable style. Everyone on the team can bring the ball up the floor, and he likes to get out in transition. If his teams can defend then watch out. 

CDC has to do something. Looking at the crowds at the Drum and me personally interest in our program is lower than any time in recent memory. I have made more of an effort to watch UH games than our own since their games have been much more enjoyable to watch.

What I am about to write is a nutty idea, but I’ll put it out there anyway to just stimulate creative thinking.

Sometimes CEO’s of companies need coaches because they lack certain skills or experience to be successful. Oftentimes boards don’t want to fire the CEO because he or she brings some really strong contribution to the company, or the financial pain is too much to endure.

What if Texas went out and got Larry Brown to spend almost full time with Shaka as his personal coach. He would also spend time with the team, and help Shaka fill in his knowledge and coaching gaps over the next year.

If it went well, they could extend the engagement to two years. I would think that in that time period Brown could impart a lot of knowledge to Shaka and the team.

I can’t think of this having ever been done before because it could be a gloriously failed experiment. But, recruits would love it because Shaka is still the coach and he would become a better coach. They would also benefit from Brown’s knowledge.

The admin would be able to get the program turned around while still potentially recruiting extremely well. Shaka might even become very loyal to Texas over time because they didn’t give up on him.

For this crazy idea to work, Shaka would have to straight up admit he needs help. Brown would have to feel a sense of duty to help develop a coach. The two of them would have to work out a management model. Brown would have to do this for about $1-$1.5M per year.

Obviously this idea can be criticized heavily, but just keep in mind that there haven’t been too many great alternatives presented yet in this forum.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What I am about to write is a nutty idea, but I’ll put it out there anyway to just stimulate creative thinking.

Sometimes CEO’s of companies need coaches because they lack certain skills or experience to be successful. Oftentimes boards don’t want to fire the CEO because he or she brings some really strong contribution to the company, or the financial pain is too much to endure.

What if Texas went out and got Larry Brown to spend almost full time with Shaka as his personal coach. He would also spend time with the team, and help Shaka fill in his knowledge and coaching gaps over the next year.

If it went well, they could extend the engagement to two years. I would think that in that time period Brown could impart a lot of knowledge to Shaka and the team.

I can’t think of this having ever been done before because it could be a gloriously failed experiment. But, recruits would love it because Shaka is still the coach and he would become a better coach. They would also benefit from Brown’s knowledge.

The admin would be able to get the program turned around while still potentially recruiting extremely well. Shaka might even become very loyal to Texas over time because they didn’t give up on him.

For this crazy idea to work, Shaka would have to straight up admit he needs help. Brown would have to feel a sense of duty to help develop a coach. The two of them would have to work out a management model. Brown would have to do this for about $1-$1.5M per year.

Obviously this idea can be criticized heavily, but just keep in mind that there haven’t been too many great alternatives presented yet in this forum.

I'm intrigued. 

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't know about Royal Ivey but I wouldn't hate Texas going outside of the box with a hire because the coaching market is shit.

If they can't pull a top tier coach there isn't much. The two names that come to mind are Buzz Williams and Musselman and those don't exactly get me excited. I do think they are good coaches. 

Outside the box type hire is as much a crap shoot type hire as hiring somebody like Beard or Musselman IMO. 

I agree, because you have to admit that the Shaka hiring was a Beard Or Musselman crap shoot hire that most of us welcomed at the time.  Will be hard or lucky not to make the same mistake again.

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This is literally the exact same thing people said about Charlie in 2016 prior to the KU game... 

If you have to hire a coach for your HC, then fire your HC and go get that one that doesn't need a coach. Not to mention if you're willing to pay Brown 7 figures next year on top of Shaka, then you might as well fire Shaka this year. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hoiberg, Musselman, Beard, or Prohm would all be an immediate upgrade over what we have now

While true, we're gonna have to pay Shaka a $13 mil buyout, so we're gonna be stuck with the next coach for, at minimum, four years.  I'd prefer to hire someone who's more proven than Prohm or Musselman. I like Mussleman, but he's got a roster loaded with upperclassmen and I'm not sure he can coach defense well on a team with less experience. Also, they've been playing down to their competition way too much for my liking this year, even if they've been finding a way to win most of those games.

I like Musselman, but hiring a promising, young coach with a short resume right after Shaka and his buyout is not something I'm very interested in.

40 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You want nothing to do with Larry. Trust me. Please.

With the Larry brown thing, it is an interesting idea but brown is an extremely big personality. Shaka isn’t a classically styles coach and brown is very traditionalist with his coaching. I honestly couldn’t see brown and Shaka getting along at all. It also could hurt the team as they might stop paying attention to Shaka when brown is always right and Shaka is always wrong. 

It’s an interesting idea and brown does go to UK and KU each year for a bit to help out in practices but he knows that he has to step away from the programs because he isn’t the coach and doesn’t want to disrupt the team chemistry. Also, as stated earlier, just fire Shaka and hire brown if that’s what you want to do. 

If I’m UT you maybe still make a run at Mack once the ncaa punishes UL again. Then you might give Cronin a look. He would win and compete well in the big 12. It wouldn’t be dunk city but winning is always fun regardless of how you play. 

I think your guarantee fallback is buzz but I think you could do better than that. 

14 minutes ago, 2inDaPink1inDaStink said:

Oh, Now it makes more sense, I guess so, when your team losses to an sec basement dweller anything sounds good

You were criticized for suggesting we hire Pitino, not bringing up Larry Brown. If you can't understand the difference between suggesting hiring Pitino and literally any other coach, including Sampson, then you deserve to be at -100 ASAP.

20 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

OU for example was 18-13 last year. 8-10 in conference and lost in the first round of the Big 12 tournament. 

They didn't even play in a "first four" game and the bubble is worse this year. 

It doesn't take much at all to make the tournament when you play in the Big 12. OU probably makes the tournament last year even at 7-11 and around 17-14 or 16-15. 

They also had the college player of the year in Trae Young. The committee absolutely looks at those things. Texas has no one of that caliber, 8-10 isn't getting us in unless they also win the autobid.

This is literally the exact same thing people said about Charlie in 2016 prior to the KU game... 

If you have to hire a coach for your HC, then fire your HC and go get that one that doesn't need a coach. Not to mention if you're willing to pay Brown 7 figures next year on top of Shaka, then you might as well fire Shaka this year. 

In the case of Strong, I never thought that idea had merit. I guess it’s because I believe there is more to Shaka than Strong. If you look at the coaching background of Strong, he’s over 50 and has worked for some of the best coaches in the game, such as Meyer. He obviously didn’t take many notes. Shaka, however, is much younger and hasn’t had the opportunity to work for very long under great coaches. He was a star that rose too fast.

You would save $5-10M if the idea worked, after paying Brown. I actually didn’t notice the other poster’s post about Brown. He came to mind for me because of his success at multiple stops including the recent SMU stint. He is a big personality with a my way or the highway attitude, but maybe he could back off finally. Also, Brown makes no sense for the permanent hire. He’s too old and won’t recruit well enough.

Nutty ideas #2 AND 3. Hire one of these women that are moving up the ranks of the pros and college coaching. I figure they must have really busted their ass to get where they are and will continue to do so. Hiring the mid major all-star is rinse, repeat. We would get A TON of press.

#3 Hire Gino from UCONN.

3 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Nutty ideas #2 AND 3. Hire one of these women that are moving up the ranks of the pros and college coaching. I figure they must have really busted their ass to get where they are and will continue to do so. Hiring the mid major all-star is rinse, repeat. We would get A TON of press.

#3 Hire Gino from UCONN.

Heck, let’s just have Shaka and Karen switch jobs.

Geno coaches a different sport and has no desire to switch over to men's hoops. He's arguably the most dominant coach in American sports history. Off the top of my head: Belichick, Geno, Anson Dorrance, Wooden, Auerbach, Eddie Reese, Rod Dedeaux- Geno is certainly on the shortlist.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Geno coaches a different sport and has no desire to switch over to men's hoops. He's arguably the most dominant coach in American sports history. Off the top of my head: Belichick, Geno, Anson Dorrance, Wooden, Auerbach, Eddie Reese, Rod Dedeaux- Geno is certainly on the shortlist.

As I recall, Wooden would sit any player when their play did not meet his requirements.  It was zero tolerance, perform as coached or sit.  

36 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

As I recall, Wooden would sit any player when their play did not meet his requirements.  It was zero tolerance, perform as coached or sit.  

Truthfully, with the exception of a couple of players, this is how bill self is. It is why freshmen are always seen as “underperforming” relative to their 5* peers when they come to KU. As someone who hasn’t earned HCBS’s trust you don’t get to play through mistakes. Out of position? Sit. Turnover? Sit. Missed defensive assignment? Sit. You can be a great recruiter but if you can’t coach then it doesn’t matter. If you can’t get everyone to play as a team and to limit their mistakes by focusing for 40 minutes the talent doesn’t matter. Calipari learned that for years until he finally had overwhelming talent during a relatively down year for the rest of cbb. 

If you can’t get players’ attention and if you can’t X&O a player then they will be a liability regardless of their god given talent. 

Not that he has any desire to choach college but I would like to see Royal Ivey be a part of a new staff. I know everyone here doesn’t like to hear anything bad being said  about CDC,  but he is looking weak with how this basketball thing is playing out. He needs  to put the heat on, show up to every practice, forget all that optics, or how it looks to future choaches BS, nonsense, have the stones to be a boss. If Shaka is not let go this week then we better see some serious change around this team and it better not be a DJ in the stands,

• Fuck You 5

3 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Bill Walton gave Wooden lip at the start of his sophomore year, showing up with a beard. Wooden says shave it, Bill says nuh-uh, this is important to me, I feel really strongly about muh facial hairs.

Wooden looks Walton in the eye and says, "That's admirable, Bill, really admirable. I so admire people with strong beliefs, willing to act on them, no matter the consequences. And, we're really going to miss you on this year's team."

Walton shaved.

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

I've seen at least half a dozen people suggest Hammonds to UT in the past few months.

Gonna be interesting to see who Spurs ask to follow Pop as their next Head Coach.  

Happy Birthday Pop....... Turns 70 Today!!

(DOB January 28, 1949)

i don't even know why i said, "playing the lottery". i doubt she'd even be interested first off, and second, she'd be just about the worst hire anyone could make. i absolutely see her being in charge of an NBA locker room full of grown men professionals one day. Asking her to recruit? To be a mentor? To be someone who her players can trust and relate to? Someone they can open up to? "Hey 17 year old black kid from Dallas/Houston/DC/Atlanta/Chicago/NYC/St.Louis, come put all of your trust and faith and honesty into this 40 year old white lady who you have nothing in common with and won't relate to or trust." Just terrible. So many fans don't seem to understand that there's more to being a major d-1 cbb coach than practice and games. she'll be a great head coach one day, but it won't be at any college. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

i don't even know why i said, "playing the lottery". i doubt she'd even be interested first off, and second, she'd be just about the worst hire anyone could make. i absolutely see her being in charge of an NBA locker room full of grown men professionals one day. Asking her to recruit? To be a mentor? To be someone who her players can trust and relate to? Someone they can open up to? "Hey 17 year old black kid from Dallas/Houston/DC/Atlanta/Chicago/NYC/St.Louis, come put all of your trust and faith and honesty into this 40 year old white lady who you have nothing in common with and won't relate to or trust." Just terrible. So many fans don't seem to understand that there's more to being a major d-1 cbb coach than practice and games. she'll be a great head coach one day, but it won't be at any college. 

Chances are you're correct. But outside of a package what do these kids have in common w/these old, millionaire white guys coaching now?

59 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Chances are you're correct. But outside of a package what do these kids have in common w/these old, millionaire white guys coaching now?

Those guys have multi-decade track records of working well with young black dudes from big cities and/or dangerous areas. I've heard multiple athletes over the years say that Rick Barnes/Mack Brown was the first white man he ever had a relationship with. Hell I think VY may have even said that. 

Edited by Goo Punch

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic