Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

On 3/12/2021 at 10:19 AM, JimmyJames said:

Unless Shaka wins the title this year (or I suppose gets to the final 4) if CDC gives him a real extension (not just some propaganda bullshit extension that is really meaningless) then I will personally drive down to campus, walk into his office and pee on his rug. 

d5bfaa70-98df-4cda-ad0a-fe39439e7b2e_tex

18 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

Bump

babylon5-gkar.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

For all the people that said the conference is too big for Shaka, he just won the conference tournament.  He didn't win the regular season but Texas is legit and coming together precisely when they need to.  It feels great to be improving while the usual suspects--teams like KY, Michigan St and Duke are imploding.  Just enjoying this win and hoping it continues.  Contracts can wait.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Mdhorn said:

For all the people that said the conference is too big for Shaka, he just won the conference tournament.  He didn't win the regular season but Texas is legit and coming together precisely when they need to.  It feels great to be improving while the usual suspects--teams like KY, Michigan St and Duke are imploding.  Just enjoying this win and hoping it continues.  Contracts can wait.   

I’m glad he won the big 12. If he has a great run in the tournament I’ll be happier still. I’m not rooting against the guy. But he has been here 6 years. And our only single real accomplishment before today was an NIT title. Let’s just see what happens. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I’m glad he won the big 12. If he has a great run in the tournament I’ll be happier still. I’m not rooting against the guy. But he has been here 6 years. And our only single real accomplishment before today was an NIT title. Let’s just see what happens. 

Just means we're fans of Texas--not coaches.*  

*Except for DKR & Augie.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this. we were supposed to be quite good this year. next year it's back to a blood soaked, nightmarish hellscape.

but, hey, fuck it, we finally won the goddamn conference tourney, so for today, i say well done Shaka!

Every preseason poll I saw had us around 19th.  If we end up with a 2 seed (or even 3), then we've exceeded expectations regardless of the bitching on this thread.

4 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Every preseason poll I saw had us around 19th.  If we end up with a 2 seed (or even 3), then we've exceeded expectations regardless of the bitching on this thread.

The OP to the season thread said that we had a Final Four caliber roster, a sentiment that was repeated by several others throughout the year. we also started the season in the top of every computer i looked at, and were in the top five in the polls for a month this year. Nothing to this point has been an overachievement.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1

40 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

LoL some of you guys have the memories of gnats.

this.

danny white led the boys to 3 consecutive NFC title games but he is not in the ring of honor and never will be.  in hoops, a conference tournament trophy is nice, but winning the league ranks higher, and both are on par with an E8 appearance.

shaka just won 3 games in a row (hold it, checks notes) sorry, 2 games with a forfeit in the middle.  that barely merits an orange tower top and certainly not a full orange tower.

show me the motherfucking 2nd weekend.   then show me a final 4.  and even then don't even think about talking about any extension given the steaming pile of dogshit we've witnessed just this very season.

and without a title, if you want to walk, walk.

win it all, and then we'll talk.

until then, show me.

• Hook 'Em 5

Conference title gets hung in rafters, not sure if E8 does. Shaka has work left to do if he wants to secure that extension he’s  sniffing around for, but he’s on the right track. 

we can talk about roster management next year when when we’re back in the dregs, but I think he’s earned a year of amnesty for  the work him and his sidekick covid19 have done

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lol. We won the Big 12 tourney. No Texas team has ever done that. Ever. Paint the tower orange for all I care. Cry about the forfeit (to a team we were 2-0 against) all you want, that’s how life goes sometimes. This is a huge accomplishment worthy of celebrating.

And against one of the hottest teams in the country too. They were on an absolute roll

• Hook 'Em 3

Hate to be that guy (not really), but he finally did what he's being paid ~$3M annually to do. 108-85 (.560) in 6 years here with his second biggest accomplishment being winning the NIT. Solid year (so far) and hope they make it far in the tourney. Celebrate this achievement. Barring a final four appearance, he still needs to go.

Edited by Houston20
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

There’s a lot to process here. He’s average, no doubt. But you deserve credit when it’s due. I do not believe he’s the solution long term. But, capital fucking B, we’ve done things this year that don’t happen all that often.

This is a top 3 seeded team, very rare for this program. I disagree that a top coach is an automatic final four, March never works that way. Let’s just see where we go, we are to the fun part.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Houston20 said:

Hate to be that guy (not really), but he finally did what he's being paid ~$3M annually to do. 108-85 (.560) in 6 years here with his second biggest accomplishment being winning the NIT. Solid year (so far) and hope they make it far in the tourney. Celebrate this achievement. Barring a final four appearance, he still needs to go.

There is no fucking way that he will be gone. This saved his ass.

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Lol. We won the Big 12 tourney. No Texas team has ever done that. Ever. Paint the tower orange for all I care. Cry about the forfeit (to a team we were 2-0 against) all you want, that’s how life goes sometimes. This is a huge accomplishment worthy of celebrating.

it's not a *huge* accomplishment. huge accomplishments:

•winning an undisputed Big XII  regular season title

•going to the elite 8 or further (and some might say FF or further)

things like winning the NIT or the conference tourney aren't huge accomplishments. i'd say that winning this tourney is Shaka's biggest accomplishment to date (although we did get to skip a game, not that it was under our control), and it should be celebrated. it should not however be blown out of proportion. it's great for the team and their families, but had we lost today i don't think it would have mattered at all. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Huge accomplishment for a team like KU? Not at all. Huge accomplishment for Texas? Absolutely. Some of y’all vastly overestimate our basketball prowess. No Texas team has ever done this. I also think Texas just making the Sweet 16 would be a huge deal too.

• Hook 'Em 5

I don’t think Shaka is the answer, but I certainly ain’t complaining right now. Hell of an accomplishment. Only thing that would’ve made it better is having a true 3-0 vs Kansas. For the first time in a long time, I’m actually excited about MM. I’ll still have a bracket with Texas winning it all like I do every year, but this time I’m fairly confident it will be more accurate than the one where we go out in the first game. Good win, Shaka. Good win, team. Hook em!

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

You can be happy about the championship without losing a grip on reality

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

Shaka's teams tend to do well in tourneys. He has won NIT, Maui, and now Big 12 at Texas. He also took VCU to final four. There are coaches who shine in tourneys but not in regular season and vice versa. While it would be good to be a Duke or Kentucky that win both regular season and tourney games, those types of teams are rare.

While I have been down on Shaka since he got here, I am starting to appreciate what his strength is as a coach. Still not sure if he is what we need or deserve but I am happy now with what this team has accomplished so far this year. I also believe we would have been a surefire 2 seed if not for Covid causing the disruptions leading to a 3 game slide.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this.

danny white led the boys to 3 consecutive NFC title games but he is not in the ring of honor and never will be.  in hoops, a conference tournament trophy is nice, but winning the league ranks higher, and both are on par with an E8 appearance.

shaka just won 3 games in a row (hold it, checks notes) sorry, 2 games with a forfeit in the middle.  that barely merits an orange tower top and certainly not a full orange tower.

show me the motherfucking 2nd weekend.   then show me a final 4.  and even then don't even think about talking about any extension given the steaming pile of dogshit we've witnessed just this very season.

until then, show me.

when you would rather fire your coach than win a big 12 championship lul

When Barnes really had it rolling I didn't particularly give a fuck about our conf. tourney record, and that hasn't changed. Winning the regular season is a far greater accomplishment and not something we have a lot of experience with. I'm happy that we won, and that Shaka and the team get a little notoriety, but winning two games just isnt that impressive to me. Hopefully this gives the team some momentum and confidence for Indy, but if we shit the bed in the first two rounds next week, nobody will give a fuck about what we did this weekend. Nor should they. 

• Hook 'Em 6

13 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this.

until then, show me.

Yep. My dream end is a final 4 run, him asking for an extension is saying no and him moving on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You can be happy about the championship without losing a grip on reality

This.

Good for the team that’s had to persevere thru this COVID minefield season and won the conf tourney. But let’s not forget they barely avoided a third loss to a vastly less talented Tech team and finally had a little luck bounce their way in not having to play the best coach or the best team in the conference this year to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

To me, there are two subjects:  a. Shakas coaching process as exhibited on the court,....b. Performance of the team

a....Shakas refusal/inability to have our players drive right at the star player with 3 fouls early in 2nd half of yesterday’s game tells me all I need to know.  He had the entire half to make one adjustment.  The game would have been essentially over, because if we drive on him and he backs off, we score a layup every time.  If he plays hard D, he gets his 4th foul after about 3 or 4 drives maximum..he sits....16 minutes or so left in game and we have an 8 point lead, lead blows up to 12+ While he sits.    Osu would have inserted him back in the game.  Smart coach repeats process and he fouls out or gives up many layups and we lead by 20 with 5 minutes left to play.  Game over, early.

b. Performance of the team....not counting G. Brown..and Ramey.......A+

shaka gets the credit.

btw, extension talk not going away.  I maintain my position.  When we win the 3rd game, there is going to be a line forming from the left full of ADs with extremely lucrative 5 year deals.  

You are cdc.  What do you do? Btw, will the line be just as long if the reasons we lose game 4 have a lot to do with coaching?

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

The OP to the season thread said that we had a Final Four caliber roster, a sentiment that was repeated by several others throughout the year. we also started the season in the top of every computer i looked at, and were in the top five in the polls for a month this year. Nothing to this point has been an overachievement.

Fuck you you insufferable windbag

who had us picked to win the big 12 again?

imagine being so miserable you can’t appreciate this teams accomplishments. Hopefully more to come! 🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 1

This class is Shakas 2nd recruiting class at Texas, right? 

Great team with a ton of fight, conference champions, almost dominant all year except for the Rona induced hiccup midway through the season, shot at a deep ncaa tournament run.

Yeah fire that MFer already! Great idea boys!

JFC 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, TxTower said:

This.

Good for the team that’s had to persevere thru this COVID minefield season and won the conf tourney. But let’s not forget they barely avoided a third loss to a vastly less talented Tech team and finally had a little luck bounce their way in not having to play the best coach or the best team in the conference this year to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to discount the narrow victories, why not also discount the narrow losses? 

22 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

b. Performance of the team....not counting G. Brown..and Ramey.......A+

Ramey had 5 assists, a nice steal, played good defense as far as my eye-test could tell, and both of his turnovers were the right decision just not executed perfectly. He made a great pass to get AJ free throws and break the press late in the game. He was much better last night than he was against Tech. Lumping him in with Greg who was basically unplayable is silly.

Some of you need to dig a little deeper on your analyses and examine things holistically. None of these guys are going to be Chris Paul every game. You can not shoot well and still contribute. Ramey does that a lot. (In part because he has a lot of poor shooting games 😅). He still took a few bad shots last night but Texas has kind of dealt with that all year - it is what it is - especially with this offense. Multiple guys on this team take bad shots every game. AJ had a couple of zingers last night - but he was great from the stripe and played some good D down the stretch. 

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic