Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

I watch a lot of UH basketball and have friends who work with the team. The difference between Sampson and Shaka has been night and day for years. Sampson puts them into contention every year with a bunch of scrubs. Because he develops so well, it’s somehow next man up even with injuries and no depth. Shaka has never developed like that  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Bright side of the loss - just like Herman losing down the stretch, the failure of Smart in the tournament eliminates the uncomfortable decision to dump him. If he had advanced to the sweet sixteen, the media and others would be talking about how he was cut right when he turned it around. It would have been bad press and could have had recruiting implications. Now, they can cut him with minimal backlash. 

You'd think, but he also just won a Big 12 conference tourney (for whatever that's worth) and finished in the top 10 of the AP poll for the first time in a decade.

Firing him is absolutely the right move, but the media will find a way to spin this as a dumb, heartless move, especially since Shaka is so beloved.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

You'd think, but he also just won a Big 12 conference tourney (for whatever that's worth) and finished in the top 10 of the AP poll for the first time in a decade.

Firing him is absolutely the right move, but the media will find a way to spin this as a dumb, heartless move, especially since Shaka is so beloved.

Fine. After six years he's under .500 in conference and has 0 tournament wins. If you argue against that you're going to look pretty dumb.

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Rick Pitino if we are serious about trying to win a national title. 
we aren’t a basketball school so we wouldn’t do that- but I don’t know if he’s any worse than the hoops equivalent of Urban Meyer who we offered our firstborn to try to get. 
age isn’t a big deal- we don’t ha e to hire someone that’s going to be here 20 years. There’s no harm in hiring someone that will give us 5 solid years and then be ready to move on. 
I think there is a solid argument to be made that the shelf life for a job at UT is best at 5-8 years. 

I don’t mind selling my soul for us to get Rick Pitino if it means making it past round 1 every year in the tournament and maybe winning a few more conference tournaments. 

17 minutes ago, midtown said:

He's gotta go.   Seems like a great dude but he's gotta go.

Yeah, this. I don't have any ill-will towards him and wish him all the best in whatever career (or retirement given the money we've paid him) in finds himself in next year.  But it absolutely should not be as head coach of the Texas men's basketball team. 

1 minute ago, ATXbronco said:

Looks like we have three incoming four-stars for next year.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2021

I like Shaka.  But I have zero confidence in him after this latest tourney loss.

Even his shiny new Big 12 Championship comes with an asterisk attached.

If we change coaches, some or all of those guys may go elsewhere. And that's fine; we have to rip the band-aid off at some point. The 2022 recruiting class is arguably more loaded in-state, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He didnt win the big 12 tourney. We got lucky as shit against Tech and then Kansas got COVIDed out of the tourney. And we got to play OK State who we beat. Not a high quality tourney win. 

Unless Shaka can quickly find a soft landing now (possibly with CDC adding a little buyout money to cancel Shaka's current contract), then the most likely scenario is Shaka returns for one more year.

CDC should be prepared to bring in a new Head Coach for the 2022-23 season to help sell tickets for the opening of The Moody Center.

I just don't see any way Shaka lasts past the 2021-22 season.  After next year, TEXAS will pay $300k/mo for 1 year to buy out Shaka's final contract year...

17 minutes ago, Xian said:

Is rick under any investigations? Ncaa or fbi?   

ALWAYS.

One or the other... or both.

Great coach, slimy as hell.

15 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

I like Shaka.  But I have zero confidence in him after this latest tourney loss.

If Shaka could be promoted to Assistant Athletic Director in Charge of Basketball Ops & Community Outreach and he sticks around and recruits and coaches basketball camps, that would be awesome. We have to pay him anyway and everyone likes Shaka. He’s the polar opposite of Tom Herman.

We just need to have a basketball coach who is good at the whole basketball coach thing.

It's not like Shaka isn't trying, he's just not a good in-game coach. (He might not be a good practice coach either, I just don't know.)

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

It took this loss for you to be out on him? 

1 hour ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Don't let them get to you, they are the same idiots that said we were racists for firing Charlie Strong. Completely ignoring that if race had been a thing, we wouldn't have hired him.

Despite being disappointed at the loss and yes it's time to get a new coach, Smart is still a better head coach in his sport than Strong is in his

that isn't saying much

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

ALWAYS.

One or the other... or both.

Great coach, slimy as hell.

If Shaka could be promoted to Assistant Athletic Director in Charge of Basketball Ops & Community Outreach and he sticks around and recruits and coaches basketball camps, that would be awesome. We have to pay him anyway and everyone likes Shaka. He’s the polar opposite of Tom Herman.

We just need to have a basketball coach who is good at the whole basketball coach thing.

It's not like Shaka isn't trying, he's just not a good in-game coach. (He might not be a good practice coach either, I just don't know.)

let me clear this up for you.  he's not a good coach at all.  in fact he is a bad one and anyone can recruit to Texas...we don't need a recruiter, we need a fucking coach who knows how to win.  the guy is close to the luckiest man on the planet, possibly exceeded by one Charles Strong(at least Charlie toiled for a good 30 years before we cashed him in).

52 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Think Shaka is done either now or one more year. Just sucks. 

I expect the next guy to deliver mediocre results as well. Its what you have to expect at this point. 

why? look at Shaka's record.  there is nothing about it that says we should have hired him.  if we get an actual basketball coach we can be a sweet 16 kind of team.

• Hook 'Em 1

Crosspost mofo!

Underwood is at his dream job.  He’s not coming here. 

From what I’ve heard about Beard (from refs that know him), he’s at his dream job as well mostly due to his fam out there.  They believe because he went to UT, he might listen to an opening, but from all accounts he loves loves Tech and Lubbock.

Someone up thread said they are completely out on Muss, and I don’t know why.  I question your basketball acumen.  I’d take him in a heartbeat.  

I like the UC-Santa Barbara coach, but might be too big of a jump.  

Pitino looks good in theory because of his background, but Pitino is perfect where he’s at because he doesn’t have to recruit all over the fucking place.  He drops down to the Bronx, souf philly maybe, picks up 6-7 recruits and that nigga good!  Could he do that at UT?  Possibly, but it would be more of a selling to recruits because we don’t have banners for recruits to see like Tech has and like what Baylor is about to get this year. 

As Bill Self said, the UT job is a top 5 job to most coaches because of our advantages and lack of pressure from donors/admin/fans.  You can come to Texas and we will let you coach but ya ass needs to at minimum get us to the tournament and win a few games.  

And I struggle with this thread because I just don’t see Shaka going anywhere after the AD had to buy a new football staff, and that is disappointing.  Could he be fired?  Sure.  Will he?  I struggle to say yes.  I dont’ go to church but for those who do, you better be praying to the gawds that Shaka leaves for another job.  If the rumors are true and he was asking for an extension, that means he knows he’s in trouble

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Bright side of the loss - just like Herman losing down the stretch, the failure of Smart in the tournament eliminates the uncomfortable decision to dump him. If he had advanced to the sweet sixteen, the media and others would be talking about how he was cut right when he turned it around. It would have been bad press and could have had recruiting implications. Now, they can cut him with minimal backlash. 

I long for a day when we can cut millionaire coaches with no backlash because they suck at their jobs.  zero backlash on Herman right and he was a better coach than Shaka.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i feel bad for some of the players, for example Coleman. it's clear from his comments this postseason that he loves Shaka and that he feels like he and his teammates have let Shaka down. he believes that Shaka has been unfairly criticized, or in Matt's own words "shit on" by Texas fans. i'm sure his relationship with Shaka is great, but it sucks that he just doesn't understand how totally fucking inept Shaka is at this level, and that he (Coleman) and all of his teammates could have been better developed and more successful under a litany of other coaches out there. Shaka has let his players down; not vice versa. 

I will sum it up for you. Matt Coleman is 22 years old and has know Shaka since the 8th grade.  he has never seen the Bill Parcells quote and has little perspective.  but good for him for backing his coach.  hopefully our AD doesn't listen to 22 year olds when it comes to the health of the basketball program at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

If CDC is worried about appearances tied to firing a black head coach, I could see him waiting one more year when we will absolutely suck and the criticism for canning Shaka would be far more muted.

But, he set the table with his "Our goal is to finish in the top 10 every sport that we sponsor" quote.  It's not like nobody heard it or read it.

Ultimately, I would say screw "appearances".  We have a bazillion fans even if we limit the discussion to UT grads, we pull in the most money in the country, our merch numbers are off the charts.  Those things aren't going to change because we fired a black basketball coach . . . who (and this shouldn't have to be stated but here we are) WE HIRED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

43 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Hmm that has me thinking...

Why isn't Becky Hammon included in Lakers coaching conversations? – Orange  County Register

I have thought about Becky, but I'm assuming she gets the Spurs job when Pop decides to hang it up.

More importantly, I also don't really think she's qualified and it could wind up being a disaster.

It cannot be said enough that this season is the best it will get under Shaka. It takes an extremely experienced and talented team to even be above average with him at coach, and that is obvious to anyone who knows anything about college basketball. There is no positive to keeping a loser like him around. People will get over the "racism" as soon as there is a new scandal to jump on. 

If you were the AD at a major college athletics institution and you were looking for a new coach, would Shaka even make the top 10 on your wish list? If not, then why would you keep him? It is better for everyone for him to be let go.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If CDC is worried about appearances tied to firing a black head coach, I could see him waiting one more year when we will absolutely suck and the criticism for canning Shaka would be far more muted.

But, he set the table with his "Our goal is to finish in the top 10 every sport that we sponsor" quote.  It's not like nobody heard it or read it.

Ultimately, I would say screw "appearances".  We have a bazillion fans even if we limit the discussion to UT grads, we pull in the most money in the country, our merch numbers are off the charts.  Those things aren't going to change because we fired a black basketball coach . . . who (and this shouldn't have to be stated but here we are) WE HIRED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Shaka Smart deserves to be fired.

Hell, he deserved it after 11-22.

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Wait, where is this coming from?  Are people just making this up?

Go review the two Shaka threads since the loss and you'll see references to "woke" and "not in this environment".  It's not hard to connect the dots.

If CDC’s only reluctance to fire this loser is because he’s black, then he’s a fucking moron and needs to go too. There’s zero arguments for keeping him at this point. Not firing him is a tacit admission that winning tournament games at Texas isn’t important. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Go review the two Shaka threads since the loss and you'll see references to "woke" and "not in this environment".  It's not hard to connect the dots.

To be fair, I think those are DT types being dickbags about "cancel culture."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

If we had fired Shaka one or two years ago the media might have given us a lot of shit because of all the "bad luck" Shaka had (buzzer beater to UNI, Ridley injury, Jones cancer, Bamba injury, pandemic cutting short a "magical" run after a third of the roster was injured). This year, they'll still give us some shit but the excuses ring a lot more hollow - we had a COVID pause, but which programs didn't have to deal with those issues this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

If CDC’s only reluctance to fire this loser is because he’s black, then he’s a fucking moron and needs to go too. There’s zero arguments for keeping him at this point. Not firing him is a tacit admission that winning tournament games at Texas isn’t important. 

Zero arguments is a stretch...

EwaDfWwWgAEwGv5?format=jpg&name=large