Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

If anything epitomizes "what should be done eventually, must be done immediately" it's UT's fucking around with the firing of Shaka Smart for several years now.  It's been obvious to anyone with half a brain cell since 2017 that he's an overpaid clown. He should have been let go years ago.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

You'd think, but he also just won a Big 12 conference tourney (for whatever that's worth) and finished in the top 10 of the AP poll for the first time in a decade.

Firing him is absolutely the right move, but the media will find a way to spin this as a dumb, heartless move, especially since Shaka is so beloved.

Who gives a shit what the media might say about it. He’s been here six years and hasn’t won a tournament game yet and just lost to Abilene Christian. He should have been fired 4 years ago when we only won 11 games but we had idiotically given him an extension after one year even though he flamed out in the tournament. 

Im still skeptical that he gets fired though and think it’s 50-50. If some of the BMDs step up and say they’ll pay his buyout then it will happen. Just don’t know if it will. 

If he’s still around next year we will suck and then he’ll be fired the day after we lose in the big 12 tournament. Kind of depressing to think about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Go review the two Shaka threads since the loss and you'll see references to "woke" and "not in this environment".  It's not hard to connect the dots.

I’m going to assume is the DT radial right wingers who just love to say buzzwords when they have no idea what they mean or what it’s in reference to. 

There’s not any indication that CDC wouldn’t fire him because of that.   And Shaka should be fired.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Who gives a shit what the media might say about it. He’s been here six years and hasn’t won a tournament game yet and just lost to Abilene Christian. He should have been fired 4 years ago when we only won 11 games but we had idiotically given him an extension after one year even though he flamed out in the tournament. 

Im still skeptical that he gets fired though and think it’s 50-50. If some of the BMDs step up and say they’ll pay his buyout then it will happen. Just don’t know if it will. 

If he’s still around next year we will suck and then he’ll be fired the day after we lose in the big 12 tournament. Kind of depressing to think about. 

@JimmyJames , you can say that again.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To be fair, I think those are DT types being dickbags about "cancel culture."

not exactly.  i'm a secret muslim atheist communist marxist-leninist that equally opposes fascism and woke-warriorism.   definitely not "DT-type".  and yet i fully expect the wailing over shaka's fate to be driven by his skin color and not his performance.

why do the players who he coaches to fail love him so much?

I think Shaka needs to be fired, but he won’t. (Hope I’m wrong) If you think there won’t be idiots out there bringing up his skin color you’re being naive. Texas is always worried about perception. Critics will talk about how he was a candidate for coach of the year, he won the Big 12, and completely ignore the reality of what we’ve seen the last several years. 

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’m going to assume is the DT radial right wingers who just love to say buzzwords when they have no idea what they mean or what it’s in reference to. 

There’s not any indication that CDC wouldn’t fire him because of that.   And Shaka should be fired.

This. 

There’s no indication CDC will acquiesce to the “woke” crowd and not fire a guy who is 0-3 in the tournament with 3 misses, a losing Big 12 record and 2 pieces of consolation hardware (NIT and conf tournament, not regular season, trophies).

I think he just has to line up the money. I hope a basketball BMD or one of our guys in the league is making the calls today to get the check written. 

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I didn't say I thought CDC would keep him because of that narrative.  I'm saying that narrative has some legs with a subset of the college basketball crowd.  Doesn't make it right or justifiable.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

I think Shaka needs to be fired, but he won’t. (Hope I’m wrong) If you think there won’t be idiots out there bringing up his skin color you’re being naive. Texas is always worried about perception. Critics will talk about how he was a candidate for coach of the year, he won the Big 12, and completely ignore the reality of what we’ve seen the last several years. 

If he’s not fired it has nothing to do with perception and everything to do with no one stepped up to cut a $7 million check to buy his ass out. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

With CDC, it's not about "wokeism," it's about a guy who doesn't always have the stones to make unpleasant decisions like firing coaches until he absolutely has no other choice (with immense pressure from outside). Of course, the decision to fire coaches ultimately rests with Hartzell but I'm sure he won't get in the way.

It went under the radar because they're non-revenue sports, but letting Aston coach out her contract as a lame duck made no sense, as did extending Angela Kelly's (probably our worst coach on the women's side of athletics now) contract until 2024.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

If he’s not fired it has nothing to do with perception and everything to do with no one stepped up to cut a $7 million check to buy his ass out. 

Yep and this is why I’m not convinced it will happen. It’s not a big secret that the big supporters of UT sports give way more of a shit about football than basketball. We fired Charlie after three years so if Shaka isn’t fired after 6 years of basically nothing it’s not because he’s black. 

Yep and this is why I’m not convinced it will happen. It’s not a big secret that the big supporters of UT sports give way more of a shit about football than basketball. We fired Charlie after three years so if Shaka isn’t fired after 6 years of basically nothing it’s not because he’s black. 

It could just be because we’re Texas, and for a decade plus, “sucking” is our brand. You don’t betray your brand.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Sadly he’s here for one more year. 3.5 million buyout next year  after we finish 7th in the big12, and don’t make the tournament next year will be far easier to stomach. 

the next deal is idk who we get... nobody out there really seems to be like a very good hire. I’m not looking for a slam dunk. Maybe beard? But that’s gotta be a huge buyout and massive deal to bring him. Plus I bet Indiana makes a strong run at him. Buzz? I would have liked him we he was bouncing from VT. But he’s been a bust so far at aggy. Maybe agggy was in that bad of shape before he got there?

Just now, JimmyJames said:

sure it is.  football is an economic engine.  basketball is not.  the media didn't call out the b12 after the okielite debacle in 15 and that was clearly a racist attack on a black coach at the flagship state school.  why?  because football is different - there is too much money at stake.  the local austin media will run feature after feature of wokeism whining about a shaka firing.  it will be just like the statues and the eyes and will be used to negatively recruit against us by white coaches at other schools because Big Evil Texas.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It could just be because we’re Texas, and for a decade plus, “sucking” is our brand. You don’t betray your brand.

We’ve been wandering in the wilderness ever since Mack “unretired” and we started the “Mack Brown I’m fixing it” tour.  This malaise seemed to seep over into the basketball and baseball programs and we’ve pretty much sucked ever since. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

This malaise seemed to seep over into the basketball and baseball programs and we’ve pretty much sucked ever since. 

Baseball is kind of kicking ass right now.. hopefully they keep it up.

What's the story on Loyola's coach? Is it the same guy that got them to the FF?

The capital stack for the new Moody Center has some interesting flexibility baked into it.  Aside from the heavily restricted gift by the Moody Foundation, there's an opportunity left in there for some of the liquidity from ubsub-debt to mezz to straight equity to free up a few million, still give those donors/investors their previously promised terms and cash out Shaka.  Since at this point, he's a straight liability to the opening of the facility...more than construction delays, cost overruns, or Covid.  

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

sure it is.  football is an economic engine.  basketball is not.  the media didn't call out the b12 after the okielite debacle in 15 and that was clearly a racist attack on a black coach at the flagship state school.  why?  because football is different - there is too much money at stake.  the local austin media will run feature after feature of wokeism whining about a shaka firing.  it will be just like the statues and the eyes and will be used to negatively recruit against us by white coaches at other schools because Big Evil Texas.

Even the AAS guys are off the boat.

(retweeted by Bohls)

T-shirt fan here, who's been in Austin for 30 years.

The basketball program at Texas is a joke. Been that way under Penders, Barnes, and now Smart. Recruit talent, fail to develop it, watch it leave too soon, and most of all, have coaches who are absolutely brain dead at coaching or game planning, especially when it matters most.  Barnes went into the Elite 8 game against LSU with no offensive gameplan other than, let's figure out who our hot shooter is today. Penders ran a motion offense that was a 3-man weave - where? - between the top of the key and the half court stripe. Brilliant. Shaka, who looked like he was in a xanax haze, needed 85% of the game last night to finally figure out that Coleman should play the role of, oh, penetrator.

Fire Shaka Smart, and the suits need to decide if they are going to truly compete in basketball or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Im still skeptical that he gets fired though and think it’s 50-50. If he’s still around next year we will suck and then he’ll be fired the day after we lose in the big 12 tournament. Kind of depressing to think about. 

If Shaka's team is really terrible early next season (a reasonable possibility), it might make sense for CDC to fire him before the B12 Tournament... 

The big 12 tourney championship has zero value unless it’s validated with a real tourney run. Doubly so this season.
Prior to this year, how much time did any of you spend lamenting the fact that we’d never won it? 

No one wants to be “that guy” urinating on a nice moment, but the locker room celebration was cringe. Treating that as some kind of massive achievement and cathartic moment that proved the “haterz” wrong is embarrassing. It speaks volumes about Shaka’s phony “culture.”  Shaka should have thrown the trophy in the trash, where it now belongs. But he’ll probably build a shrine around it. Hey, no sweat, guys. The real tournament was just gravy!

So Grant McCasland who is in his 4th year (?) at UNT would have won C-USA tourney (most likely) last year if not for Covid. Won C-USA this year. And now has UNT’s first ever NCAA tournament win. Shaka has one NIT win, one conference win and 0 NCAA tournament wins in year 6.

im rooting for UNT from here on out. Hope they make sweet 16. The whole above bs was just my way of saying either you are a good coach or a great one. Shaka is not a great coach. The guy from UNT has more accomplishments in year four. With far less budget. Far less talent. Far less everything. Go Mean Green! 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Wait, where is this coming from?  Are people just making this up?

We're less than 12 hours removed from the loss and our fanbase has already created an entire narrative where the media all freaks out about us firing a black coach, which has of course forced CDC's hand to keep him. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

We're less than 12 hours removed from the loss and our fanbase has already created an entire narrative where the media all freaks out about us firing a black coach, which has of course forced CDC's hand to keep him. 

Don’t forget the narrative that CDC is too stupid/incompetent to know Shaka’s Texas resume and/or just plain sucks at his job and it’ll be a disaster of a firing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I like Shaka as a person.  Shit, I thought he was the right guy for the job when we hired him.  I was beggggging for us to go after him after Rick, and we did.

However, Shaka never brought that same passion or intensity that he had at VCU to Texas.  I dont remember us ever trying to use his Havoc full court press like he did at VCU.  We would do it every blue moon, but it was never a staple of any team he had here.

I still like Shaka, but my biggest issue with him is the complete lack of strategy.  Star player on the opposing team with 3 or 4 fouls?  Dont ever attack them.  Opposing team full of small guys?  Dont ever feed it down low to your big men.  Team destroying us in the paint?  Dont ever go to a zone.

Too many times has our offense devolved into standing around and waiting for something to happen or shoot up a random ass 3 and hope for the best.  Its almost like the 12 ft jumper doesnt even exist in Shakas brain.  Its 3 points or drive to the hoop and hope for the best.  That is literally it.

As much as I like the guy and want to see him succeed here, I just dont think I can tolerate these issues any more.  Losing this game was a fucking huge reality check for me.  0 Tourney wins in 6 years is pathetic.

Not sure if we will actually dump him this year...  but I cant say id be sad if we did.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

No one wants to be “that guy” urinating on a nice moment, but the locker room celebration was cringe. Treating that as some kind of massive achievement and cathartic moment that proved the “haterz” wrong is embarrassing. It speaks volumes about Shaka’s phony “culture.”  Shaka should have thrown the trophy in the trash, where it now belongs. 

tenor.gif

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

Why do you "like" him....?

I like his personality.  I think hes a great dude.  Id love to see him have success here.  I love his passion.  Before he came to Texas, I enjoyed the type of basketball his teams played.

Do I need to keep going?