Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

We care if we can save a lot of money if Shaka finds a landing spot without us having to fire him without cause.

But then we also lose control of the process. Maybe Shaka doesn't find something to his liking and doesn't leave. We would then have to fire him after all the other candidates have taken new positions. Or we run it back with Shaka next year (fuck me). Or even worse, a disgruntled Shaka decides next July to take a job that opens up for some fucked up reason, and then we're staring at fire drill replacement hire. 

If you want Shaka gone, you fire him. You don't make him feel unwanted but also let him drive the process. That's a recipe for some unwanted surprises.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Shaka probably thought he'd win a game or two in the tournament, get that extension he's angling for, and have a "winning" team to market to any late-deciding recruits or transfers. Whoops.

Very likely.

Big oopsie-doo on that one, Shaka. 

55 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The type of public search is the problem - we have multiple examples at Texas (baseball and football) of firing an underperformer and then getting embarrassed in the search when we get publicly turned down and dunked on.

The problem is the people caring about "getting embarrassed."

Nobody gives a shit 3 months later. Target your dream guys then move in order down the list.

It's 2 months later and nobody gives a single solitary shit about the Urban Meyer situation. We took our shot, he said no, we have a different coach. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 9

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Have you seen the roster coming back for next season?

It's not good at all, and I've yet to see Shaka dip into the transfer portal to fill holes.

He needs at a minimum a PG, a wing, and a center from the portal.

The transfers I can think of are:

Dylan Osetkowski

Mitrou-Long

Mareik Isom-who was injured almost the entire season

44 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So do we think he will be realistically fired? Usually we get at least a FCB tweet making something up? I actually need that right now even if it’s not true. I just want to believe it’s gonna happen because I’m worried it’s not.

Bellmont is silent. The only thing the usual mouthpieces have said is that his status is "in doubt".

Edited by Machinator

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The problem is the people caring about "getting embarrassed."

Nobody gives a shit 3 months later. Target your dream guys then move in order down the list.

It's 2 months later and nobody gives a single solitary shit about the Urban Meyer situation. We took our shot, he said no, we have a different coach. 

this.  no one gives a shit if the coach you hire wins championships(or at least doesn't look like he stepped off the AAU bus an hour ago).

if we could just fucking fire Shaka tomorrow we could end this thread with this post.

even though I'm on record as saying Shaka is here next year, lets say I'm wrong.  my hope is that CDC knows what he is doing to some extent and knew the possibility of this scenario was, oh, say about 80%, which means he has his top 3 and we will make a decision rather quickly once the tournament is over.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Got it.  So you, a guy who makes a message board, thinks CDC should fire Shaka and then do a very public, likely extremely embarrassing search where we get turned down by many coaches and then we have to settle on what appears to be a 5th choice?  Can we not repeat our last abortion of a coaching search for baseball? 

Line up your ducks, fire Shaka, announce your new coach a couple days later.

This is exactly what CDC did with Aston - she was dismissed and Vic was announced like 2 days later.  No embarrassment, no one publicly turning us down or using us for raises.  No one has any idea who we even interviewed. 

If CDC wants to go your route so we get dunked on, by all means.  I prefer a smooth process where Tech fans don't dunk on us for getting turned down by Beard. 

Dude, you are so out of step with the Surly concept of CDC as an "empty suit" who is borderline incompetent.

Yeah, there are a lot of people around here too blinded by their complete lack of patience to appreciate how CDC operates.  He works without the usual leaks, we don't end up earning raises for a half dozen other coaches out there and the end result is a positive.

Assuming, of course, this is in the works and Shaka ain't staying another year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Perhaps CDC has his eyes on Altman or Moser or Few or whomever, but they aren't leaving until after the tournament? Or maybe they don't leave if they win it all?

If that's the case, you wait until you have all of the data to fire Shaka. Otherwise, if your guy wins it all and doesn't leave, and nobody else is available, then you risk firing Shaka with no good options to replace him. Better to just keep him and wait until next year to see if there's a better option. 

Most likely, any realistic options that we are interested in hiring are still coaching.

4 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

CDC’s big decision: 1) stick with Shaka and sell maybe 2k tickets per game next year and likely the same for 2022 in the new Moody center - OR - 2) fire his fraudulent ass and go hire a name coach that can quickly restructure the roster and have Texas a Top 25 team heading into 2022.

If CDC / Boosters choose option #1 they are idiots who cannot do basic financial math. 

Somehow I trust that CDC knows a hell of  lot more about the finances behind UT athletics  than the average Surly poster. Shaka's buyout is probably more than an entire years ticket revenue for mens basketball. Do I want Shaka fired? Sure, I wanted that last year. but the athletic department finances in a year wrecked by Covid will play a larger role than in regular years. Luckily for us, the tournament bed shitting was so spectacular we may end up firing him regardless. Heading into the tourney, I didnt think that was possible. 

Zero tournament wins is a low-point in the past 30 years. Regardless of who commits to us before announcing Smart’s firing, he should be fired.

Already a dozen viable options should be ready to go. You actually increase that the available candidates the sooner you announce the decision.

PR and pride take a backseat when you maximize the opportunities sooner than later.

I don't know about the availability of guys like Beard, Musselman, Altman, etc. but if Royal Ivey will say yes you announce him ASAP.
Their availability is zero right now. Ivey would obviously say yes today. Which is a dumb hire. He needs to sit on the bench at a college for a few years.

20 minutes ago, markstanco said:
1 hour ago, maninblack said:
I don't know about the availability of guys like Beard, Musselman, Altman, etc. but if Royal Ivey will say yes you announce him ASAP.

Their availability is zero right now. Ivey would obviously say yes today. Which is a dumb hire. He needs to sit on the bench at a college for a few years.

Disagree. Keeping Shaka is dumb. There's a lot of positives for Ivey. It doesn't mean he'd be the absolute best hire possible but he's infinitely better than the fucking turd sitting there now.

• Hook 'Em 4

And you get a raise, and you get a raise, and you get a raise...
200.gif

How does that even matter? Who gives a fuck? That’s pride messing with functional decision-making.

Make people say no and find the right guy who’ll say yes. The no’s aren’t coming here anyway and you’ll more likely get them if there’s an actual opening.

We don’t need a splash hire, but those feelers should’ve already been out there. You need to know who are the viable alternatives.

In any case, CDC’s hiring pattern does indicate a behind-the-scenes process. But I don’t believe Herman had a chance to retain his job after the Iowa St and I think Shaka’s gotta be done.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

LMAO:

BC407EA9-31E4-4F77-9BC6-45FED3FB7904.jpeg

9FD45B92-7E18-4294-BFCF-9E919D7A30CD.jpeg

38894C2C-00BE-4ED1-B578-A7351482F76C.jpeg

87330A61-09C8-4EE2-8E9A-821F4E31A9AF.jpeg

Hahah, I had Texas winning one more game than Derka did, so let's not pretend this team didn't seem good enough to win a game or two in the tournament.  Somebody won big in Vegas betting against Texas siding with Abilene and that wasn't Derka.  And if Derka pretends he knew this, then that winner would've been him but he couldn't choose against Texas with $25 at stake in the UT fanboy brackets.  Guess that makes him some kind of fan like the rest of us losers.  And Texas did win the Big 12 tournament so they did hang with the rest of the Big 12, which now, doesn't seem so hot.  And there's still nothing on here that suggests anybody said we should extend Shaka's contract.  So lol, whatever clown.  

And what are you doing pray tell, wasting your god given talents on a message board?  Don't you have scouting and potential in other ways to serve your superior talents than chasing down posts on a website?  Seems like you'd be well above this.  I don't know how I should feel when my expertise comes into question when I post while watching Netflix slugging bourbon.   

Edited by Mdhorn

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

What about doing a wild and crazy thing:

Fire Smart. Hire Ivey along a bizarre philosophy—- productivity. Rapidly escalating salaries based upon production targets with an initial modest salary, and heavily investing in assistants with good track records and experience.Let the former Horns who support him help fund Smart’s buyout, and scale Ivey’ buyout up or down on a sliding scale depending again on production targets. If he shits the bed, it’s low, if he is succeeding it’s high- but so is salary/ bonus . It’s non- traditional but since there is significant risk on both sides it could be a reasonable model all parties might endorse if the numbers were right, and of course if he happens to be unusually successful—-like winning in March, everything is negotiable. 

Edited by El Squared

28 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

How does that even matter? Who gives a fuck? That’s pride messing with functional decision-making.

Make people say no and find the right guy who’ll say yes. The no’s aren’t coming here anyway and you’ll more likely get them if there’s an actual opening.

We don’t need a splash hire, but those feelers should’ve already been out there. You need to know who are the viable alternatives.

In any case, CDC’s hiring pattern does indicate a behind-the-scenes process. But I don’t believe Herman had a chance to retain his job after the Iowa St and I think Shaka’s gotta be done.

Shaka's gotta be gone.  He can't sell anything.  The future for him is the past.   

13 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Listening to the Dan Patrick show this morning.  He had Dan Dokic on.  Dokic asked him if he'd ever seen a bigger physical mismatch than Texas vs ACU.  Patrick said "maybe, but I can't remember that far back."

We had a Final Four roster with a Patriot League coach. 

😣

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Hepa, Liddell, Baker, Hamm, and Williams should all have been getting PT this year to prepare for next year, when every one of them to a man would be counted on for a much bigger role than they'd previously had. instead Shaka mysteriously left all of them out of his llama for this year, and now all of them (save Hepa) have jumped off the sinking ship. 

outstanding fucking work Shaka. Sleeper Cell Shaka Smart. killing the program from the inside.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Hepa, Liddell, Baker, Hamm, and Williams should all have been getting PT this year to prepare for next year, when every one of them to a man would be counted on for a much bigger role than they'd previously had. instead  Shaka mysteriously left all of them out of his llama  for this year, and now all of them (save Hepa) have jumped off the sinking ship. 

outstanding fucking work Shaka. Sleeper Cell Shaka Smart. killing the program from the inside.

Shaka laid down the law this year...

"Scrub team! NO FUCKING THE LLAMA !!"

...fucking COVID! This year was brutal. 😪

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

You think not getting your ducks in a row before you fire the guy actually makes it easier? A ton of potential targets will just use the situation to better themselves financially before you even get the chance to approach them and make an offer. Just look at our last search for a baseball coach. 

Edited by Deej

13 hours ago, TxTower said:

Reasons + $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, but I feel like $$$ should never be the issue here.

Money is already there. It's going to be like the other coaches hired with CDC. He'll fumble it somehow and then we'll find a guy then Shaka will get fired and the new guy hired within 24-48 hours.

• Hook 'Em 1

You think not getting your ducks in a row before you fire the guy actually makes it easier? A ton of potential targets will just use the situation to better themselves financially before you even get the chance to approach them and make an offer. Just look at our last search for a baseball coach. 

Shaka aint Augie. Nevertheless, the goal of a coaching search is to find the right guy. Not save face. Find the right guy.

There are coaches who will not consider an offer if another coach is still employed. There are coaches who will find other jobs if there’s a delay. You decrease your pool of eligible coaches by hesitating.

CDC has more factors to weigh for this decision than we know of. And I believe he uses back channels to full effect.

I listened to the podcast.  Interesting to me: 

1. I had no idea Shaka was so bad at VCU.  They rattled off the numbers to make a strong case VCU should not have even been in the tourney.

2.  Big mistake saying this isn’t football.  Sounds appealing to me, to think cdc doesn’t need to approach this like football, the idea being in basketball you don’t have to have your new coach lined up before you fire Shaka.  That idea would require cdc to have a certain flexibility, to have multiple approaches in hiring coaches depending upon the sport.

i think cdc is not willing to do that.  I think he wants to employ one consistent method for hiring coaches.  It has evidently worked?

3.  Will Baker.  Totally forgot about that guy.

4.  Didn’t quote him, but came close, from Parcells, “You are what you are”   Shaka has shown his ceiling, so many times, imo

there is literally no reason for any Texas fans to attend any basketball game next year, other than family members of players.

i can’t exactly remember, but I think this is how people must have felt at end of year 2 of Weltlichs time, when he was busy tearing down the program, going about 7-21.  

I am not optimistic CDC will do the right thing.  I think he lets Shaka more or less control the situation.  

• Hook 'Em 1