Anyone use glucosomine for joint pain?

20 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

Used it for the better part of a year.  Noticed no difference.

I've been using it for a couple of years now since I've been riding a skateboard on and off for 35 years. 

I haven't noticed any difference, but I also haven't done anything wretched to my knees or ankles, either. 

Or anything else?

Does it work?

Non-canine answers only please....

I tried it. My joints used to ache something fierce.

Then I quit eating wheat except for very infrequent cheat meals.

Lots of inflammation related health problems are exacerbated by diet.

Joint pain disappeared.

Ymmv.

I'm a runner and developed joint pain in my knees several years ago.  Arthritis runs in my family and both parents had it pretty bad.  My aunt told me to take a teaspoon of cod liver oil every day.  Yeah, right.  All I needed was a old wives' tale solution.  Since nothing else worked, I tried it.  Two days later my knee pain was gone.  Now I take three capsules every day.  Whenever I stop taking it, the pain comes back.  Don't know how, but it works for me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stella Link said:

I'm a runner and developed joint pain in my knees several years ago.  Arthritis runs in my family and both parents had it pretty bad.  My aunt told me to take a teaspoon of cod liver oil every day.  Yeah, right.  All I needed was a old wives' tale solution.  Since nothing else worked, I tried it.  Two days later my knee pain was gone.  Now I take three capsules every day.  Whenever I stop taking it, the pain comes back.  Don't know how, but it works for me.

I tried this several years ago when I was still doing marathons.  Gave me absolutely horrid tasting chronic belches.  Thanks for the advice, but no can do.

I think I was only taking one capsule -- can't imagine what three would do to my stomach.

Edited by Beau Vine

Here, take home is they might work as well as chewing a bit of grass you think will work.

Glucosamine and chondroitin — In our clinical practice, we do not recommend these supplements routinely to all patients; however, we do not discourage their use for patients who are keen to take them, especially if symptomatic benefit is achieved with their use (except for glucosamine hydrochloride, which we recommend against). There have been conflicting results from randomized trials evaluating the efficacy of glucosamine and chondroitin in knee OA [38]. Results from reviews with larger, methodologically sound studies found negligible effects of glucosamine hydrochloride on knee pain, while higher doses or higher-grade formulations of glucosamine sulfate (1500 mg/day) or chondroitin (800 mg/day) showed more favorable results and may have a statistically significant but small effect on symptoms compared with placebo [39-42]. As an example, in an industry-sponsored randomized trial including 604 patients with symptomatic knee OA who were followed for six months, pharmaceutical-grade chondroitin sulfate was found to be statistically superior to placebo and similar to celecoxib in reducing pain and improving function [42]. Either chondroitin (800 mg), celecoxib (200 mg), or placebo was given once daily in the evening. One important limitation of the study is the uncertain clinical relevance of the statistical significance for the primary outcomes, which were based on a degree of change from baseline on a visual analog scale (VAS) for pain (0 to 100 mm) and the Lequesne index (a composite score of pain and function). Also, the number of patients who achieved the minimal clinically important improvement of 20 mm on the VAS for pain was not different among the three groups. Other meta-analyses also suggested that glucosamine sulfate (1500 mg/day) and chondroitin (800 mg/day) may have small effects in delaying structural progression of OA with long-term use (two to three years) [43,44].

A strong placebo effect has been demonstrated in the studies involving these dietary supplements. This is well illustrated by the landmark Glucosamine/Chondroitin Intervention Trial (GAIT), in which around 60 percent of participants experienced at least 20 percent pain reduction irrespective of whether they received placebo, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin, or the combination of both [45] (see "Overview of the management of osteoarthritis", section on 'Factors affecting response to therapy' and "Overview of the management of osteoarthritis", section on 'Role of placebo effect'). In another multicenter randomized noninferiority trial, 164 patients with moderate to severe knee OA were treated with either chondroitin sulfate plus glucosamine or placebo [46]. At six months' follow-up, the mean reduction in the global pain score was significantly greater in the placebo group (33 percent) compared with the chondroitin sulfate plus glucosamine group (19 percent). Limitations of the study include the small size and potentially inadequate dosing of chondroitin and glucosamine. However, it is of note that the risk of any adverse event with these supplements is low and comparable to placebo. Due to these contradictory and still uncertain data, glucosamine and chondroitin are not strongly recommended by major OA guidelines [3,5,47].

I tried this several years ago when I was still doing marathons.  Gave me absolutely horrid tasting chronic belches.  Thanks for the advice, but no can do.
I think I was only taking one capsule -- can't imagine what three would do to my stomach.

A good source of omega 3 that doesn’t taste like fitlumps ass is biopharma scientific nano epa.

We sell this stuff out of my practice and I’ll give you the surly asshole discount (wholesale cost) if you are in the Houston area and come get it.

e9e00f3a4be0729c4c20529eb139a8d2.jpg
  • Like 1