Seinfeld turns 30 today, time to celebrate

tbone_

Guest Lobo

Considering bit parts on the show launched the careers/rebooted the careers of dozens, if not 100 actors...I'm okay with one being a casualty.  That said, Poor Lilly...

52 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Considering bit parts on the show launched the careers/rebooted the careers of dozens, if not 100 actors...I'm okay with one being a casualty.  That said, Poor Lilly...

That and Ali Wentworth ("schmoopy") is married to George Stephanopolous.

Turned over right now and Lori Laughlin is Jerry’s girlfriend in “Serenity Now.”

Edited by Aqua Buddha

12 hours ago, Deej said:

What a fantastic show. For the most part, it has aged well. 

For the most part? It's still hysterical. I have the entire series on DVD and still watch it in syndication on TV. I have no idea how many times I've seen every episode. It still makes me laugh out loud. The scene where Kramer chugs a beer while puffing a cigarette in The Sniffing Accountant will never not be funny. 

9 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

It has. Though when answering machines and pay phones are there, they definitely show their age. 

So? I don't think that has anything to do with a tv show aging well or not. See I Love Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show, All in the Family, and Cheers. If it's still funny then it's aged well. 

Here's an example of a sitcom that hasn't aged well: Newhart. We used to think "this is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl" was funny. It's not. It's dumb. What were we thinking? 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Here's an example of a sitcom that hasn't aged well: Newhart. We used to think "this is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl" was funny. It's not. It's dumb. What were we thinking? 

I never thought the Larry scenes were funny, but I still love Newhart reruns in spite of them...not as much as the Bob Newhart Show though.   

The episode where George is eating the ice cream at the US Open, I thought it was based on a real video of someone eating ice cream at a tennis match. I can’t find the footage anywhere. Has anyone seen this?

6 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I never thought the Larry scenes were funny, but I still love Newhart reruns in spite of them...not as much as the Bob Newhart Show though.   

Bob Newhart was the only funny person on Newhart. The Bob Newhart Show still holds up, but Tom Poston wasn't funny on that show, either. 

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Wasn't odd for networks to air new content in the summer back then?

They dumped Seinfeld on that 7/5 date

Ultimately, the test audience’s negative reactions toward the pilot outweighed NBC’s positive ones. The network did not order more episodes from Seinfeld and David. Instead, the pilot was  packaged as a “new comedy special,” and aired in what Rick Ludwin, another Seinfeld fan in the NBC executive suite, called “garbage dump theatre”: the middle of the summer -- on July 5, 1989.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, SimonBolivar said:

The first couple of seasons are criminally underrated. It's much more subtle than later seasons, but so much more Larry David. Oh and as much as I love IASIP Seinfeld is still GOAT when it comes to comedy.

Agree.  Those early seasons are truly when Seinfeld was a show about nothing.  Waiting around at a Chinese restaurant; meeting up at the movies; trying to track down a friend of a friend; picking up a friend at the airport.  That shit was hilariously mundane.  

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...
1 hour ago, ztejas said:

It's the rare show where some of the last seasons are among the best. 

One of the long-lasting benefits of going while still at the top of your game. Imagine a world where it goes another 3-4 seasons with one of the four leaving and being replaced by a new character. Probably Cousin Jeffrey. We all owe Jerry a debt for going out when he did.

• Hook 'Em 4