Le Tour 2019

Thetexashammer

It's that time of year again. Fuck yes. Most beautiful and arguably most difficult sporting event in the world.

Story of the race is that the field is wide open. Tom Dumoulin crashed out of the Giro. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/tom-dumoulin-abandons-giro-ditalia-2019-423516 Froome crashed on a training ride a couple months ago, but good news he was release from the hospital just today. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cycling-froome-idUSKCN1U02DK

The talk is that Froome's crash was an error in judgment by Froome. Geraint Thomas, the reigning winner, isn't (apparently) in the same form as last year. 

Lawson Craddock, the last place finisher last year who raised money for the Velodrome, and whose t-shirt I wear often, was left at home. Four Americans total. Two domestiques Ben King and Chad Haga, a new guy Joey Rosskopf who may make some noise, and Teejay who is riding as 1st LT to Rigoberto Uran.

Much worse than losing Lawson, Mark Cavendish the Manx Missile is watching from home. He wants the record for stage wins, only thing I think he'll get is a new team next year, sucks he's out. The other sprinters aren't as epic. 

Of course, Sagan is in. He'll never have yellow in Paris but he's an inspiration and a badass. He should get another green jersey, assuming the refs don't fuck him like in 2017.

As a reminder, Paul Sherwen has passed. First tour without him. He will be missed. I still find it upsetting. 

Paul-Sherwen-624x405.jpg

I like Bob Roll as well, but only in small doses.  He is better suited for the role he had previously, and I'm not sure I can stomach hours of him in one sitting.  That said, I can't think of anyone who would make me not miss Sherwin. 

This is going to be an interesting Tour.  I usually have a personal favorite going in, but someone will have to emerge this time around.  I will definitely be rooting for Sagan to do what he does. 

Yeah, I know what you mean, I suspect he'll tone it down.  I don't know if Paul just really knew the towns and sites around the tour, probably some of that done in production for him to present, but I'll really miss the commentary on the culture the tour passes through.  I don't know if Bobbke can carry that off even if he has the material.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:01 PM, Thetexashammer said:

It's that time of year again. Fuck yes. Most beautiful and arguably most difficult sporting event in the world.

Story of the race is that the field is wide open. Tom Dumoulin crashed out of the Giro. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/tom-dumoulin-abandons-giro-ditalia-2019-423516 Froome crashed on a training ride a couple months ago, but good news he was release from the hospital just today. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cycling-froome-idUSKCN1U02DK

The talk is that Froome's crash was an error in judgment by Froome. Geraint Thomas, the reigning winner, isn't (apparently) in the same form as last year. 

Lawson Craddock, the last place finisher last year who raised money for the Velodrome, and whose t-shirt I wear often, was left at home. Four Americans total. Two domestiques Ben King and Chad Haga, a new guy Joey Rosskopf who may make some noise, and Teejay who is riding as 1st LT to Rigoberto Uran.

Much worse than losing Lawson, Mark Cavendish the Manx Missile is watching from home. He wants the record for stage wins, only thing I think he'll get is a new team next year, sucks he's out. The other sprinters aren't as epic. 

Of course, Sagan is in. He'll never have yellow in Paris but he's an inspiration and a badass. He should get another green jersey, assuming the refs don't fuck him like in 2017.

As a reminder, Paul Sherwen has passed. First tour without him. He will be missed. I still find it upsetting. 

Paul-Sherwen-624x405.jpg

There's an entire thread already.