Cursing at Work

TahoeHorn

On 9/1/2019 at 2:50 PM, TahoeHorn said:
In a week, how often would you guess that you hear a colleague utter a curse word?
A. In a formal work setting in a group  (e.g. project leader addressing team)
B.  In a work setting with one person (e.g. your office mate snarling about spilled coffee)
C. Not in a formal work setting (e.g. happy hour after work)
Forty years ago there were environments where cursing was just plain not done and others where it occurred a mile a minute.  I knew which was which.  Today I have no clue.

A. Almost  Never

b. Pretty much daily

c. Almost always

If someone cussed while presenting out, it had better be like "Let's kick their ass!" towards our competition or something. It is VERY rare, and never personal or towards our workgroup. Among peers in day-to-day interaction, yeah, there's a fair amount of cussing about things, but not generally towards each other. In 29 years, I have told 2 different co-workers to go fuck themselves and they absolutely deserved it. Informal settings like a Friday Happy hour or whatever, yeah, there's plenty of profanity laced tirades and letting off steam.  It's normal, IMHO.

I have an unwritten rule that direct reports who have earned it, can speak openly( curse) if nobody's around.  You cannot offend me, and some have tried. My goal is to allow the discussion to happen/ frustration to release; so that we might find a solution.  If we have 3 or more folks, there needs to be a certain level of decorum.  Some folks might scoff at this, but it has served me well through the years.  

If i am by myself, I curse about as much as anyone I know.  I've been that way most of my life.  Never has been a problem unless someone comes around the corner or into the garage unexpectedly.  LOL.  Sorry. Not sorry.

On 9/3/2019 at 6:24 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Got busted today for saying "No mames weyyyy." I didn't think of it as cussing, but I got voted down.

Have a Hispanic co-worker who thinks if he cusses in Spanish that it's not profane.  It's funny that he had 3-4 of the new white college girls saying, "Chingao!" every time something didn't go their way. Oh well...I guess.