AndroidTV Gaming

SmokeyTheBear

So this weekend I decided to update my main media center from a Windows based HTPC to a Nvidia Shield w/ NAS backend. With this new addition, I have the ability to play games via the Play store and GeForce NOW. Anyone have any recs on games for either of these options? Is GeForce NOW worth it at all? 

• 1 month later...

I got a Shield TV.

I used to be a big gamer when I was younger.  I don't have a current console or PC.

I hate the Shield Remote control.

As far as games, ehhhh.  

I did some reading on streaming games after I just bought it. 

I just got the PS Now 7 day trial.  It is a pretty good deal.  I need a longer HDMI or USB(controller) cable for my MS Surface.  I have a PS3 modded, so not too much I want to play.  I'll probably cancel.

I was looking at Liquid Sky and other streaming services.    

I may look into one of those..  I use the private torrent iptorrent.  They have some pc games.  I would like to have a service I can try out games, and play games I buy off steam.  

I need to get that longer cable, and I may try out those.  I don't see myself becoming a hardcore gamer, so I am still debating on upgrading my home work pc for $700.  I have done a lot of research, and it sounds like with the bitcoin downturn and Nvidias surplus, and a new card about to drop, the price of video cards may drop in the next month or 2.

Instead of spending 300 on a console, it make sense to me to buy a PC that I can buy a VR headset in a year or so....

If anyone sees a good deal on a PC, let me know.

Nvidia just said they were making the Geforce Now from their PC and Mac Beta to include Shield TV also, so looking forward to that..

Although they sound like they are one of the more expensive companies going forward, charging per hour.  Hopefully they will realize no one is going to pay to play by hour or how much they want to charge per hour...

The Shield Tv just got the Geforce Now upgraded service.

So right now if you have a game you bought on Steam, Uplay, or Battle, you can play the game on their "super" servers, and it streams the games.  I've been playing with it today.  It works great.

Since everything is moving to the cloud, this has to be the future of gaming.  Buy a $100-200 box, and you pay a subsciption to play a few games.

You don't have to fork out money for the latest greatest pc or console every few years..