Murders at Starved Rock - true crime documentary on HBO

Paul Wesley

I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread about this 3-part series.

It's about Chester Weger - who was found guilty of a pretty horrific triple murder that occurred in a state park in 1960, his present-day quest for parole, and the ongoing debate around his guilt/innocence.  It has the interesting twist that the film maker is the son of the prosecutor.  

It's one of the better films of this genre that I've seen in the last few years.  It's remarkable how many family members/witnesses/jurors/lawyers/etc are still alive and how many participated in the film.

I've seen it twice - the second time was when my wife watched it - and the second viewing only reinforced the opinion I formed in the first one.  

Part 3 drags just a bit, but they packed a lot of information, interviews, and theories into a reasonably short film (each part is under an hour).  Mostly the pacing is pretty good, and the information is revealed in a way that may make you change your mind a couple times along the way.

• Like 2