Monitor for PS4

GottaB

I’d like to game on my PS4 in the evenings (kids asleep, wife watching only available TV) and I’m thinking of getting a monitor that would double as computer monitor and a PS4 screen in our office. Volume isn’t an issue as I’ll use headphones.

I was originally going to use a 32” 720p TV I bought on Black Friday and use it as a computer monitor but I was told using a 720p TV would not be a great choice for a computer monitor (poor resolution for text and web surfing). So now I’m looking at a more traditional monitor. If my PS4 will be the source of gaming (not the computer) does the quality of monitor matter? I noticed any listings on slickdrals for gaming monitors seem to focus on refresh rate, delay, video card compatibility (freesync, g sync) or whether it is curved. The prices seem to fluctuate wildly $150-600. I’m willing to spend money but not if it’s a waste. The computer will most likely be a Mac mini if that matters. We have an iMac now and it’s beyond updating.

A buddy suggested a 27” monitor is a great sweet spot for sitting at a desk gaming so that is what I’m focusing on.

Can your PS4 or Mac Mini push 1440p? If so, this is a great "bang for buck" choice:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG41Y8Z?ref_=pe_527950_33920290_dpLink&th=1

(Make sure "32 inch" and "IPS Panel" options are selected.)

FreeSync, decent response (5 ms) and refresh (75 Hz) times, combined with a 31.5-inch IPS display for $250 make it a great all-around budget option, imo. Been using one since September and am pleased.

• Like 1

No sweat. Unfortunately, after some deeper digging, my suggestion might not be so good for you.

Per the discussion below, PS4s (including PS4 Pros) do not support 1440p. Apparently, the console would either downscale content to 1080p or interpolate it to 4K.

I'm not too familiar with Mac Minis, but I believe they utilize an IGP? If so, 1440p would be asking a lot outside of desktop/standard office apps.

I think I've unintentionally wasted your time. 1080p is probably the way to go.

• Like 1

I have a monitor I use for both. My PC can handle much better resolution at 165Hz, but a PS4 can only do 1080p at 60Hz. So if you want one to share, you need to settle on one by its purpose. Are you going to be doing anything on the MAC that needs 1440p, higher than 60Hz? If not, then get a 1080p, 60Hz monitor and save some money, your PS4 won't suffer. If you want a better  viewing angles and responsiveness, then get a TN panel and save more money. If you want better color representation and sit right in front of the monitor, then look at an IPS panel. Either way, I agree 27" is a good size for productivity and gaming.

• Like 1