Whats shaking in the Cliff (oak cliff)?

chesthair

Lived in sunny oak cliff for a while in my younger years but havent been back in forever.  I know its quite a bit different now and i know the bishops area has changed a lot.  Anyway, taking the family and some friends this weekend to show them some of my old haunts and wanted to take them to eat.  Back in the day, la calle doce was our go to, is it still solid?  My dad's business was next to the charco broiler, so I would like to go there to relive my childhood.  I assume they are still in business?  Any other recs?  Herreras? El Ranchito?

You won't recognize the Bishop Arts area, Streetcar development at Zang and Davis has really changed things up.  Some people are uptight about the gentrification and displacement, but a lot of is driven by Hispanic families selling their homes at big profits.  It's complex, but the changes have made the area much safer, more walkable, with lots more retail, dining and entertainment choices.  I have lived in North Oak Cliff since 2004 and it's been fun.

La Calle Doce is definitely still solid.  Good stuff.

Charco Broiler is still there and iconic.  For what it is (low end Bonanza style meat that you order in a line), it's fun.  We get the steak sandwich.  And, it's one of the last places where you will get a baked potato and a salad with thousand island dressing with your meal.  

EL Ranchito is still great, for Norteno style grilled meats.  At night, they have 1 or 2 mariachi groups walking around. Some people think that because of this it's too noisy, but I love it.  It's always festive with large family groups celebrating things.  It does get packed.

Tons of excellent higher end food all around (Bolsa, Nova, Stock & Barrell, Boulevardiere, Hattie's, etc....Lucia too, but you can't get in without a reservation at least a month in advance)

For a middle ground, go to Taco y Vino.  It's on the outskirts of Bishop Arts (Zang and 8th, more or less).  Very good tacos, good bear and wine selection.  Moderate prices.  Or just walk around Bishop Arts, go in the shops and get some pizza at Enos or a sandwich at Parker.  

If you are there at night, catch a show at the Kessler (Davis in Winnetka Heights) or see something at the Texas (Jefferson near Bishop)

Ask away if you need more info.

• Like 1

Thanks.  My dad's place was literally next door to charco broiler and I pretty much ate dinner there every night of my middle school-high school life.  

Back in the 80's, bishops was a CFS place, not an arts district.

I prefer taking them to the iconic places, not the new ones, even though i understand the new places are outstanding. 

However, looking at your list, that stock and barrel looks good, i assume all these places are packed on a saturday night? 

Sucks that you are going this weekend because it will be bitter cold and the fun of Bishop Arts is just walking around, popping into shops, eating something, and getting pie at Emporium or chocolate at Dude, Sweet.  But, because of the cold and the time of year, a lot of places should be wide open.  On Open Table, Stock & Barrel has lots of spots on Saturday night.

Genie's Bishop Grill was the chicken fried steak place.  They closed down about 10 years ago and there is a Hunky's there now for old-fashioned, diner style classic hamburgers.