2018 Texas Men's Tennis

texasstrong12

I don't really follow tennis but this team seems really odd. They lose 0-4 to Tulane at home and then beat two really good teams in Oklahoma State and Oklahoma 4-0. 

This seems like a team that can lose to anyone on any given day and beat just about anyone on any given day. 

Currently 14-5 and 2nd in the Big 12 at 2-1. 

Edited by texasstrong12

One of my friends went to the OU match and texted me that the crowd was sparse. We both were at UT nearly 8 years ago and Pennick Alison would have at least a few hundred fans for conference matches. UT v. Baylor usually had the largest crowds probably approaching 500 or so fans. I hear TCU gets over 1000 at their home matches.

Texas lost to a very mediocre Tech team today 4-3. Ito didn't play but we should have beaten Tech comfortably with the talent we still have, but they didn't. 

If we lose to Baylor on Sunday, we probably won't host a regional and will more than likely be sent to A&M for the first and second rounds. This is one of the more inconsistent teams I can remember, and I don't think we'll be making much of a run in the NCAA's. 

I've seen a team play a SWAC team 3 times in one day, but never have I seen a team play a scrub SIX times in one day. That's just absurd. A few years ago, Texas had an RPI around 40, which was good enough to make the tourney, but our record was 10-11. We could have played Prairie View in a double header to get in, but fortunately our programs have integrity. 

• Like 1

On Arkansas' womens tennis page, they still don't have any stats, or any report from any of those 6 matches that were allegedly played. They just posted the final score and updated their record. It's all super fishy. The NCAA should not reward this fuckery by letting them in the tourney (but they probably will)

Back to Men's tennis.....facing Oklahoma tomorrow. Oklahoma has made quite a few changes since the last meeting

Whatever happens I'm pretty sure Texas will host the first two rounds. Now it's just a matter of higher seed come tournament time

I couldn't make it out to the matches today, so thought I might catch some of the action on the live feed. No luck today after using it before. Glad to see the men come back to win it to go along with the women's strong showing against Tech. Will be watching for the NCAA early round match ups and grab some tickets if the Horns do indeed get to host.

• Like 1

Likely be the number 12 seed. With three hosting schools in Texas, hard to say who our first round opponents will be. Lamar could be sent to A&M, TCU, or UT. Baylor will almost definitely be sent to A&M.

Hopefully with today's ranked win, Yuya will be in the individual tournament. He was on the bubble being ranked in the low 50s for a 64 size draw.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

https://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player.asp?id=754462

Very solid blue chip recruit!

Our 2019 class is Evin and Nevin

lol

Nevin is class of 2018 so he'll be here next semester. Nevin also has a blue chip younger brother in class of 2020.  Wonder if Texas will look at him.

Evin is joining a class that already has two other recruits. One is Jacob Bullard (top 10 in his class) and another guy from South Carolina (top 50) Cleeve Harper.

• 2 weeks later...

MEN’S ALL-BIG 12 AWARDS Coach of the Year: Michael Center (Texas)

Player of the Year: Alex Bakshi (Oklahoma)

Newcomer of the Year: Alex Bakshi (Oklahoma)

Freshman of the Year: Jake van Emburgh (Oklahoma)

First Team Singles - Yuya Ito, Texas, So. Christian Sigsgaard, Texas, So.

First Team Doubles-  Harrison Scott, Jr. / Christian Sigsgaard, So., Texas

Second Team Singles-  Adrian Ortiz, Texas, Jr. Harrison Scott, Texas, Jr.

• 2 months later...

Summer updates-

Ortiz, Scott and Markes played Canada future tournies in June. All got ATP points. Markes has played some more tournaments in July and has some really impressive results.

Incoming freshman Huang also played some future tournaments in both Canada and Taiwan.

Yuya Ito is on the Asian Games roster to represent Japan.

Alum Glasspool won a futures tourney. Micky Reyes-Varela won his first ATP tournament and has a career high of 51 in the world in doubles.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 8:29 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

TCU's stud 2019 commit Jenson Brooksby just won Kalamazoo, meaning he will be granted a wildcard into the main draw of the US Open later this month. TCU is probably shaking now hoping he doesn't pull his verbal and decide to go straight pro. For our sake, lets hope he does go straight pro

I'm all for him not attending TCU but he'll basically be a walking Bye at the US Open. Looking at his pro results, he's losing to journeymen quite regularly at the futures level. He also has never traveled outside North America for a tournament and has never played in a junior grand slam. For his sake, college will be the smarter option.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:01 PM, Aleemay said:

I'm all for him not attending TCU but he'll basically be a walking Bye at the US Open. Looking at his pro results, he's losing to journeymen quite regularly at the futures level. He also has never traveled outside North America for a tournament and has never played in a junior grand slam. For his sake, college will be the smarter option.

Brooksby could only manage winning 6 games in the first round so your prognosis was correct. College definitely seems like the smarter option for him at this stage unless he vastly improves. Sucks that these days the winner of Kalamazoo can't even make a competitive match against someone ranked near 50. Not a lot of stud prospects coming up it seems

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Christian and Harrison wins the doubles championship on a double fault 11-9 in the third and after saving a match point! (One of the Tech players sure was mad after the match throwing his racquet, balls, hat, shoes, and towel. I think he ran out of things to throw.)