I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that - smart home help

Have a simple question but thought a general thread on this topic would be good.

My parents have an old stereo and speakers on their back porch. They have an echo inside, in the room adjacent to the porch. Right now theyre moving the echo outside when they want to listen to it outside.

Id like to replace the speakers outside and set it up where the new speakers are connected to the echo. The echo would stay inside but Id like an additional dot or something outside to control the echo and move the music indoors/outdoors or both. What do I need to do this?

First have your parents talk to their smartest child...

I think if you have an echo inside and a dot outside you can say something to the effect of "Alexa, play music everywhere"  or "Alexa, play music on porch", etc.  You may have to do something in the Alexa app to enable it though.   Sonos has some speakers that have Alexa built in.  If you bought that instead you could dispense with the additional dot.  Just a thought.

Edited by orange dream

I fugured it out. The Dot has an audio out so I just plugged in the old stereo speakers. The Alexa app has a multiroom music feature that lets you group tge devices under an identifier. I grouped the indoor echo with the outdoor dot connected to the speakers. "Play music everywhere" plays music inside/out.

One frustrating thing is you cant put a device in multiple groups or create a group with a single device. So I cant have "play music outdoors" and "play music indoors" plus "play music everywhere. Not a huge deal since you can just say the command to the nearest echo which will usually be the one you want to play.

I went to best buy for the first time in lik3 5 years. Cool that they have a whole smart home section. Plan to do more with my own house.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk