UncleCharlie

OSU/Iowa, the Lakers/Celtics of college wrestling....

Just now, You don't know me said:
3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:
Which school does your son attend?

Union. Have 2 there now, a senior and a sophomore.

Ah yes, our marching band used to compete there.  #bandnerd

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ah yes, our marching band used to compete there.  #bandnerd

My senior is also in band.  He's really good.  Takes his shoulder pads off at halftime and performs with the band.  Kid stays pretty busy.

Gotta love it...cold front = wrestling season.

We have weight certs the 23rd and leave that night for Iowa.  My boys are wrestling at pre-season nationals.  2 weeks after that the season starts.  

Speaking of Iowa...may need some rest/bar recs for des moines. 

Posted (edited)

Our high school hired a new teacher that was also a state champion at 195.  He is going to help coach wrestling.  My senior (285) is pretty excited because he is going to have someone bigger/better to wrestle with and learn from this year.  I'm telling him that he really needs to work on shooting and his ground game.  If he can wrestle with a bit of small style as a big man, he'll make some noise later in the season.  My hope is that he treats the tournaments as ways to work on certain aspects of his wrestling and to not worry about how he finishes.  Something like setting a goal for a certain number of takedowns in a tournament. 

My sophomore is very excited for the season.  It's been fun to watch his primary focus shift from football to wrestling.  It started a few years ago, but it's in full swing now.  He had a rough season last year at varsity because they had him wrestling up 2 weight classes.  When the kid that was supposed to be wrestling there finally made weight, my boy started wrestling JV.  He was in an odd spot because he was almost too good at his weight in JV, but below average at varsity up 2 classes.  It did help his confidence though to rack a bunch of wins, but we'll see how it translates this year.  He did have a great summer though.

Edited by You don't know me

It's time!  Boys officially start practice today after receiving a beat down in the first round of the football playoffs.  Secretly, I'm glad football season is over so that wrestling can get going.