Hayden Fry passes away at 90

texifornia

16 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I distinctly recall him not being complicit in the slush fund setup and it (partially) resulted in his firing. Any reference to anyone rotting in hell on their death day based on speculative information  is bush league. I wouldn’t even do that when Switzer or Sherrill die. 

Hayden Fry didn't have a thing to do with the cheating scandals at SMU. He wasn't even the coach before the coach under whom all the institutional cheating started (Ron Meyer), that was Dave Smith. 

SMU wasn't any dirtier than anyone else when Fry was there-- they bent the same rules everyone else bent. That's precisely why they didn't win an unusual amount during Fry's tenure, certainly not the way they started to in the late 70s and early 80s when multiple bought recruiting classes started to pile up. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That’s my memory. Fry had success there, but not like Meyer or Fry at Iowa. The criticism of him here is clownish from one of our resident clowns. 

And I actually understand Fry not taking his foot of the gas during the Freedom Bowl. It was one of the few ways for him to say "screw you, see what your missing? Watch my  team can do to Texas (the state and the school)"

He obviously felt (and probably rightfully so) that he got fucked over at SMU. Beating Texas was just as important to him as it was when he got to Iowa beating Michigan and Ohio State. Showing his haters that his farm boys from Iowa could compete with the Blue Bloods.