Houston sports talk news - Adam Clanton fired from 790

GHOSTUSER

17 hours ago, Sidney Sherman said:

All the Houston radio is trash. 

790 was a little better than 610 I guess, but they are both shit. 

Glad Nick Wright made it out and big though, he was pretty cool.

I don’t get why Houston sports radio is considered to be trash but many of y’all. I lived in Philly where WIP is the king and all they talked about were the Eagles and some manufactured controversy of the day. I listened to Austin sports radio and Erin Hogan and guys like that were just meh and worse than the guys in H-town

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

12 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I don’t get why Houston sports radio is considered to be trash but many of y’all. I lived in Philly where WIP is the king and all they talked about were the Eagles abd some manufactured controversy of the day. I listened to Austin sports radio and Erin Hogan and guys like that were just meh and worse than the guys in H-town

For sure Austin is worse. But 610 is OBSESSED with the Texans and they always act like these piece of shit QBs are just going to come in and run BoB's offense and everything is going to be great. Maybe it's what they are told to do as official Texans radio but it gets fucking old. Plus they ignore the Rockets because after Nick Wright interviewed Morrey the Rockets bailed them. 

Plus they are a bunch of queer aggys I think.

24 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

For sure Austin is worse. But 610 is OBSESSED with the Texans and they always act like these piece of shit QBs are just going to come in and run BoB's offense and everything is going to be great. Maybe it's what they are told to do as official Texans radio but it gets fucking old. Plus they ignore the Rockets because after Nick Wright interviewed Morrey the Rockets bailed them. 

Plus they are a bunch of queer aggys I think.

They only have one aggy and that guy is John Lopez who is terrible and pretty dumb. He was awful as a columnist for the Chronicle. They had a Techtard in Cody Stoots but he got booted a couple of months ago. The most pro-UT guy on Houston sports talk radio is Ross Villarreal on 790.

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I don’t get why Houston sports radio is considered to be trash but many of y’all. I lived in Philly where WIP is the king and all they talked about were the Eagles and some manufactured controversy of the day. I listened to Austin sports radio and Erin Hogan and guys like that were just meh and worse than the guys in H-town

Because this is exactly what KILT 610 is... and then 790 brought in Josh Innis, he of WIP manufactured controversy... i stopped listening to 610 and 790.. i pretty much follow Lance Zierlein and Charlie Pallilo for sports conversation without the soap opera bullshit...  and now they're both on FM, so...

Sean Salisbury moves over from Gow Media to KBME's afternoon drive-time show next month, replacing Jayson Braddock and Sean Jones.

Another week, another Houston sports radio shuffle.

If you've been otherwise occupied, KBME (790 AM) this week terminated the afternoon drive-time show hosted by Jayson Braddock and former Oilers defensive lineman Sean Jones and hired Sean Salisbury from Gow Media's SB Nation Radio as their replacement as of July 9.

Also this week, former KBME afternoon drive host Adam Clanton, who was dismissed in early May, returned to KILT (610 AM) as a fill-in host and station contributor.

So, to summarize, the weekday daytime schedule thus far has included the departures of Braddock, Jones and Clanton (from KBME), Barry Warner (from 94.1 FM) and Cody Stoots (from KILT), Clanton moving to KILT, Salisbury moving from SB Nation Radio to KBME, Fred Davis returning to KILT, Landry Locker becoming a first-time weekday host on KILT, Paul Gallant moving from nights to mornings on KILT, Charlie Pallilo moving to a 94.1 FM/97.5 FM simulcast, similar simulcasts announced for the John Granato-Lance Zierlein and Fred Faour-A.J. Hoffman shows on KFNC/94.1 FM and KFNC dropping the Raheel Ramzanali/Del Olaleye show while continuing to pair them with John Granato.

That should be it, at least for now, but who knows what the rest of the year holds?

Loose ends

As far as the current schedule is concerned, the only lingering question is the identity of Salisbury's foil on his new KBME show. Salisbury has said he does not want to work a solo show, and there thus far is no indication that his SB Nation Radio castmates (Robin Carlin, Brian Barrett and Adam Sager) will join him.

Carlin, Barrett and Sager, in fact, are now billed as hosts of "The Benchwarmers" show on SB Nation Radio from 4-7 p.m. Kind of an odd title, isn't it? I don't know if that indicates that Gow Media will try to hire another former NFL quarterback to host the show or whether it will continue as is with the current cast.

As for Salisbury, who had an offer from Gow Media to move to Miami to continue hosting the show from beIN Sports' studios there, he said he wanted to remain in Houston for personal and professional reasons.

"I came here the first time to train a quarterback," he said. "His father told me, 'Sean, I know you're a California guy and a Dallas guy, but this town will grow on you.'

"I didn't know if I would stay after my first months, but in September I will have been here five years. The sports teams are a big part of it, but when you see how people rally around each other here, who doesn't want to be a part of that when people treat you with kindness and respect?"

Salisbury also continues to tutor young quarterbacks on the side (one of his former pupils, in fact, was David Gow's son). Now if he could only do something about our interior defensive linemen and inside linebackers ...

Salisbury's gain, of course, is Jayson Braddock's loss. Braddock was a self-trained broadcaster but said circumstances required him to carry an even heavier burden in his first months on the air while Jones was attending law school three days a week. He hopes to get another shot, but who knows what will happen?

This is Lamont’s take on what’s going on in Houston sports talk. Other than for Charlie I don’t listen to either 94.1 or 97.5 because their signal sucks ass

This morning I fired up Twitter only to be tagged in an article by Jermaine Every.  Jermaine explained why Gow Media’s lineup is dominating.

I thought it was a fair comprehensive articl.  I can’t front, thought it was a little weak writing an article about your own organization’s success but not a game-breaker.  I am not wyling because I know Jermaine and he comes from a good place, but in his article, there was one key omission.

I’ve been tracking ESPN’s ratings for a while and wanted to see if my theory would hold up.

Sports Map Launched in October 2017.  It’s my belief, Sports Map is the reason the station is enjoying ratings success, the correlation aligns.  Of course, some will say, the station didn’t see a turn in the ratings until January or February but it makes perfect sense.  October is prime holiday season.  Basically, anything from October – January is fodder, it’s holiday season.

ESPN 97.5 has seen an uptick in ratings station-wide from the beginning of the year.  It’s clear that Sports Map is bringing in new listeners (Personal People Meters).

Sports Map is promoted with total “buy-in” from the staff writers.  Seriously, you can’t go 30 minutes on 97.5 without hearing about Sports Map.    From my vantage point, it seems like the on-air talent mocks the fact they have to write but whatevs.

Sports Map and the Shows are circular promoting feeding off of each other.  All props to Fred Faour for orchestrating an unlikely monster but hell he was only the Sports Editor for the Houston Chronicle so he sort of knows what his target audience wants.

Honestly, I have not hugged the site because it’s not 100% with a few technical kinks that needs to be ironed out.  I don’t want to critique an unfinished product but I can definitely see a direct correlation between Sports Map and the the rise of ESPN 975.

Lastly, we will learn how strong Sports Map really is during the upcoming football season.
Edited by Iconoclast Texan

• 3 weeks later...